Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If so many young people disagree, then why are there still many here? No one is disputing that LI is expensive nor that people are leaving for cheaper places, but there is def. a strong presence of "young people" still hanging about and working and having good lives. I am one of them. Certainly I'm not a millionaire, but I live just fine.

If people want to live here they certainly can. People are just unwilling to take a second job or get a roommate or compromise certain aspects of their lives. That is no one's fault but theirs.

I take it you subscribe to the Ebeneezer Scrooge line of thinking (that's the problem with todays yoouths) - "are their no workhouses, are there no reformatories" , "are there no workhouses, are there no reformatories"? Please sir, may I place some coal on the fire?

Just remember, things happen all the time.............

Suggest you read or watch A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
I take it you subscribe to the Ebeneezer Scrooge line of thinking (that's the problem with todays yoouths) - "are their no workhouses, are there no reformatories" , "are there no workhouses, are there no reformatories"? Please sir, may I place some coal on the fire?

Just remember, things happen all the time.............

Suggest you read or watch A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
I didn't say they would be happy...I just said everyone can make it if they want to, ya just have to be willing to give some things up. I'd rather have a crappy QOL and pay out my butt on LI, then live cheaply with a better QOL elsewhere. LI is my home, my family is here, my friends are here, my boyfriend is here...and you can't put a price value on love.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
I didn't say they would be happy...I just said everyone can make it if they want to, ya just have to be willing to give some things up. I'd rather have a crappy QOL and pay out my butt on LI, then live cheaply with a better QOL elsewhere. LI is my home, my family is here, my friends are here, my boyfriend is here...and you can't put a price value on love.

Ahhhh ya still young A woman gets married the first time for love then (add as many as needed) for money

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
I'd rather have a crappy QOL and pay out my butt on LI, then live cheaply with a better QOL elsewhere.
Haha why?!?!

You couldn't pay me enough to come back.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Haha why?!?!

Because the people I love are here. Like i said, can't put a dollar value on that.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
^^^ she's very closed minded...do your save a favor and don't ask I love my wife and kids and guess what...they came with me Friends visit me all the time and guess what...made tons of new ones . Family.... most could stay where they are actually I see one of my brothers more now than I did when I lived 3 minutes away

Old 01-25-2011, 12:48 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Ahhhh ya still young A woman gets married the first time for love then (add as many as needed) for money
You got that right...well partially right....there are always the gold diggers - out for practical reasons only, love is tossed to the wind.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
^^^ she's very closed minded...do your save a favor and don't ask I love my wife and kids and guess what...they came with me Friends visit me all the time and guess what...made tons of new ones . Family.... most could stay where they are actually I see one of my brothers more now than I did when I lived 3 minutes away
Ummm easier said then done...cuz I don't think my parents, sister, sister's boyf and my boyf, my cousins, aunts and uncles would be moving with me. Way easier said then done.

nice try though

Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM

68 posts, read 197,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Doesn't it seem counterproductive to spend so much money educating our youth on Long Island when the best of our students will leave the Island for better educational opportunities not available on LI; and when the most employable will end up leaving for work opportunities not available on LI?

What incentives can we provide for tomorrows youth to entice them to come to, or at the very least, stay on Long Island?
People are going to go where they can make the best money. My first job out of college was for a well known national company. After a year, a friend of mine working in the city kept pestering me to send over my resume at his company. I got called for an interview and was offered a salary 35% higher. I have been working in the city ever since. I'm happy where I am now and for the most part enjoy working in the city but I have friends who are making approximately the same out on LI - I think a lot of it depends what your skills are and the industries you are interested in.

On another note, there are no tax advantages for companies to have offices on LI. Look at NJ and CT. About a year or two ago OSI Pharmaceuticals wanted to expand on LI and when it did not work out they accepted $3 million in sales tax breaks from New York State and Westchester County governments to help pay for a $100 million consolidation and expansion of its headquarters up in Briarcliff Manor.

Whenever I drive by office parks, most of the buildings don't seem to have many tenants on the signs.

When are the powers that be going to wake up? Probably when it is too late (if it isn't already).

Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
And North Baltimore is soooo much better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Haha why?!?!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island