Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Doesn't it seem counterproductive to spend so much money educating our youth on Long Island when the best of our students will leave the Island for better educational opportunities not available on LI; and when the most employable will end up leaving for work opportunities not available on LI?

What incentives can we provide for tomorrows youth to entice them to come to, or at the very least, stay on Long Island?

Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,738 times
I know I left LI due to no real good engineering corporations other than Northrop Grumman and Symbol Technologies. I did work at a few lower tier companies that required engineering services but they were all manufacturing companies with high turnover rates, low employee morale, and crap for benefits. If I lost my job now at my current job, of course I'd go back to any of those places in a heartbeat to make ends meet but they're certainly no place to have a career.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM

264 posts, read 878,657 times
The best of Long Island's stock often choose to work in NYC but live on Long Island- once they want to raise a family. Especially those who enjoyed living on Long Island as children..

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Stony Brook University is among the top 2% of universities in the world.
Young people leave Long Island for the same reason that I did -
The cost of living is really out of control.

I LOVE PA!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Doesn't it seem counterproductive to spend so much money educating our youth on Long Island when the best of our students will leave the Island for better educational opportunities not available on LI; and when the most employable will end up leaving for work opportunities not available on LI?

What incentives can we provide for tomorrows youth to entice them to come to, or at the very least, stay on Long Island
?
affordable housing. The "good" jobs (besides teaching- we all know they are overpaid) really are on LI. Sadly if you aren't a cop or a teacher you really need to work in the city to be able to afford to live here.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,547,629 times
Hofstra is only one of 4 universities that have both a Law School and a Medical School.

What about the Labs at Cold Spring Harbor?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
affordable housing. The "good" jobs (besides teaching- we all know they are overpaid) really are on LI. Sadly if you aren't a cop or a teacher you really need to work in the city to be able to afford to live here.
Agreed!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Not true at all. I know many folks who work on the Island and live just fine. It all comes down to your skills and your education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
There are good colleges on Long Island, but a lot of kids want to go AWAY to college, no matter where they come from. I wouldn't have dreamed of considering a Long Island college, and my parents really wanted all of us to have the experience of us living away from home (5 kids - who can blame them?!). I've never understood people who live in Franklin Square and live at Hofstra - and I think you may see less and less of THAT because, really - who wants to pay that bill when your kids can commute.

I want my kids to go away too, but now I live 15 minutes away from the #1 and #15 ranked public universities for value in the US - if they were to get in there, it would be tough to turn it down.

As far as jobs, people have ALWAYS gone into NYC to work. I am not sure what has changed in that regard. And if people go into the city to work and they grew up on LI, chances are they are going to stay there. But I lived on Long Island for my entire adult life till last summer and I never worked in the city. I never had trouble finding a well paying job, even when I only wanted to work p.t. in my field.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Not true at all. I know many folks who work on the Island and live just fine. It all comes down to your skills and your education.
Well I am highly skilled and educated and I used to work on the island and couldn't make a living so had to take a job in the city. Which people are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island