Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Because the people I love are here. Like i said, can't put a dollar value on that.
Ok fair enough. I wouldn't expect everyone to like Western New York (where I grew up), but I do because its familiar and I have family there.

Just don't put down those of us who through no fault of our own are having a hard time making it here and/or don't like the culture of this area. The only mistake I made was underestimating this place's ability to eat you alive if one thing goes wrong in your life!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Ok fair enough. I wouldn't expect everyone to like Western New York (where I grew up), but I do because its familiar and I have family there.

Just don't put down those of us who through no fault of our own are having a hard time making it here and/or don't like the culture of this area. The only mistake I made was underestimating this place's ability to eat you alive if one thing goes wrong in your life!

Can I get Amen from the choir

Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Can I get Amen from the choir
Amen!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Delaware Ave - is one tough road, especially at night. Wonder if it's changed after all these years?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Delaware Ave - is one tough road, especially at night. Wonder if it's changed after all these years?
They fixed the S-curve about 7 or 8 years ago

It was nasty, especially when it was full of potholes.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
They fixed the S-curve about 7 or 8 years ago

It was nasty, especially when it was full of potholes.
That and the clientele......

Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM

72 posts, read 218,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Taxes are one thing, what about rents though? My friends who rent in NYC pay a lot more in rent a month then I do.

Taxes in LI are probably the highest in the nation, I'm not really disputing that, but I would say renting in NYC vs. renting in LI is a whole different ballgame- NYC is way more expensive when it comes to that! As far as residential goes anyway...not sure about commercial bldg prices.
I agree, but as the market dictates, NYC is a lot more desireable a place to rent. Suburban rents are always much cheaper and you can factor in the need to own a car. LI needs MORE legal rentals and more rentals near commuting hubs. That's been addressed ad nauseum on these boards.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM

72 posts, read 218,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Maybe Im out of the loop? But it seems to me that a whole hell of alot of people are living just fine here.
I think you're out of the loop. Just fine is pretty subjective. My wife and I make good money and live paycheck to paycheck after housing and day care costs. Getting ahead is "just fine." Making $150k a year and living on an economic treadmill is not "fine."

Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
But when you start saving all that cash from day care you will be just fine. No?

How someone makes 150k a year and is not getting ahead, is mind boggling. As I said..its how you live, not how much money you make.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Of the major education ranking systems used in academia, though abhorred by all :

You have US News & World Reports, Times Higher Ed. World University Rankings , and the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), and most recently Forbes Magazine ranks as well.
The Princeton review also tabulates data (primarily from student input), but no longer ranks schools in order based on academic criteria done on a national scale.

USN&WR ranks Hofstra at 139th, and SUNY Stony Brook at 99th.
Times Higher ed. gives no Long Island College/Universities any accord.
ARWU ranks SUNY Stony Brook in the 70-89 range (meaning 19 equal schools rank between those numbers in the top 100)
Forbes gives no Long Island College/Universities any accord.

These are palatable scores at best.
Decent schools, but severely behind the top public and private universities in the US.

Kbinspections : there are over a dozen schools that have a medical school, and a law school- I think it may be one of 4 that house it all within one campus, rather than schools whose Law or Med school is a specific graduate school unto itself hosted by it's parent university. Nor has Hofstra turned out any Medical grads yet.
Times Higher ed. gives ranks SUNY Stony Brook at 78th.
Thank you to those who pointed out that I missed it.

Perhaps a personal problem of my own, seeing the school listed as "Stony Brook University", rather than The State University of New York at Stony Brook; before SUNY got kind of ballsy and started removing it's SUNY moniker from some of it's better schools.

Still the thread has just deteriorated into another complaint and defense over LI, and I regret opening the can of worms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island