Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
The list doesn't tell the whole story, much like everything else printed by newsday.

My husband builds super-luxury homes in the Hamptons & I assure you not too many people in Sagaponak earn under 100k, but 90% of the homes are second or third residences.

Here in little ol' Ridge more than half of our population are seniors so that skews our overall number. Even so I like living in a place where I'm on the top of the food chain, not the bottom.
I dont buy the Ridge # either.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
Lynbrook at #199 is a suprise to me. Next to RVC at #96 and Malverne at #70.

Cool map (probably has already been posted)
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 AM

182 posts, read 406,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
The list doesn't tell the whole story, much like everything else printed by newsday.

My husband builds super-luxury homes in the Hamptons & I assure you not too many people in Sagaponak earn under 100k, but 90% of the homes are second or third residences.

Here in little ol' Ridge more than half of our population are seniors so that skews our overall number. Even so I like living in a place where I'm on the top of the food chain, not the bottom.
You hit the nail on the head. The income of second homeowners isn't factored into the numbers in areas we know are expensive. The less affluent year round people are the only ones counted. The list was about income and not hone value so in a way it is right.

Areas with large population density like pequaman wrote are also going to have skewed figures.

It is all fun. Should we really take Newsday as Bible chapter and verse?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 AM

182 posts, read 406,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There's plenty of money in RP....the houses on the sound lift the value of all the shanties inland.
Just like in Massapequa!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Lynbrook at #199 is a suprise to me. Next to RVC at #96 and Malverne at #70.

Cool map (probably has already been posted)
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
That doesnt sound right at all.

We had a similar contrast with Miller Place and while MP is nice...its not THAT much nicer.
Shoreham Village I can understand.

Crooks

Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan_the dog View Post
#244 and I do not believe this list
Im not buying Oakdale Quogue or Westhampton is that low either.

Whats with these HUGE margins for error?

Wish I could afford to live @ 244.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
LMAO

No the line is like a mile.

They count everything from Lower RP W as SB.
Its totally wrong.I heard they were correcting it to include The Tides, Oak Hiils and Pickwick.

Were cousins all the same.I love Sound Beach.

I also think this data might be old.If its 10 years that would be significant.Id be curious on the source date.
Theres new data coming.

Crooks
Aw jeez! He did see the list. Let me read the drama on how much he will nitpik and attack it. Time for the popcorn.

BTW, in my observation the list seems to be pretty accurate.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Aw jeez! He did see the list. Let me read the drama on how much he will nitpik and attack it. Time for the popcorn.

BTW, in my observation the list seems to be pretty accurate.
I know youre new here but I assure you that Wading River(particularly the Riverhead side) in not more affluent then Quogue.Neither is RP MP or SB either

266 Quogue $66,821 22,974 WTF?

The data is way, way off and it seems to be more off the further east it goes.
Montauk 244 or my personal favorite, Sag Harbor 259 Somebody oughta tell Oprah and Mr Joel theyre poor

Im not trying to nit pick but wrong is wrong and Newsday really ought to source/parse its Census data better and by date.

Crooks

Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Why do you say they are inaccurate?
The reason for the discrepancy is lower income areas tend to have larger "household" and family sizes. The median household size for LI is about 3.00.
Some areas have as high as 4.00+ and others like Quogue, are well below the 3.00 median. Also, it can be misleading as some hamlets and villages have a higher household composition of children. What this means is some areas have a larger workforce, while similarly sized areas have a higher concentration of children under 16; which skews the median household income relative to towns near the median for LI.

For instance:
Baldwin - Average household size 3.21
Average family size 3.73
In labor force (population 16 years and over) 13,170 (70.2%)

Massapequa Park - Average household size 3.19
Average family size 3.55
In labor force (population 16 years and over) 8,559 (62.5%)

The data is not WAY OFF as Crooks is claiming, just because Rocky Point fell in the 200's. It is real data and close to your true rank, but the rankings are slightly misleading (+/- 50 spots at most I would estimate for some towns) and Newsday should probably be focusing on other data points that give a clearer picture of real incomes in each area (like workforce/% of population in workforce). RP is really <200 if you look at the breadwinner income (median income for full time employee, usually the male) and Massapequa Park is likely <100 if you factor in the higher concentration of children and lower # of workers in each household.

BALDWIN

----
MASSAPEQUA PARK

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-26-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Thinking in another direction -- Old Field is 9 on the list and is a very small community within the Setauket zip code. Poquott, a small community also Setauket zip, as broken out and did well in the rankings, too at #31. Meanwhile Setauket-East Setauket -- a much larger area in that same 11733 zip -- lagged behind at 86. Stony Brook, smaller than Setauket-East Setauket scored 75.

Had this been calculated by zips as opposed to CDP, collectively Setauket's score would have been more in line, or better than, Stony Brook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island