Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM

182 posts, read 406,358 times

Advertisements

I am not seeing it on the Newsday link but how did they come to the numbers? If this is according to the census and they know how many houses are in an area and then divide the totaled collective household incomes by that number?

Would that explain why a wealthy area that has second homes is coming in so low? The empty houses with zero incomes would drag down the average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
I am not seeing it on the Newsday link but how did they come to the numbers? If this is according to the census and they know how many houses are in an area and then divide the totaled collective household incomes by that number?

Would that explain why a wealthy area that has second homes is coming in so low? The empty houses with zero incomes would drag down the average.
Its based off the Census Bureau's American Community Survey.

The 2nd homes won't be counted as zero, so they won't bring down the average or anything like that. However, their incomes aren't taken into consideration.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Out of curiosity how much unreported income do you think is out there?

10%

20%

50%

I think its higher than anyone of us are ready to admit.I think thats evident in the Hamptons numbers here.
Maybe Im wrong.

I wish we taxed spending rather than earnings but thats another disaster.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

10%

20%

50%

I think its higher than anyone of us are ready to admit.I think thats evident in the Hamptons numbers here.
Maybe Im wrong.

I probably don't disagree with you in regards to unreported income, however I think the income levels in the Hamptons can pretty much be explained by the fact for many of the wealthy in the Hamptons their primary residence is elsewhere and therefore incomes are counted elsewhere.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Who got #1?

Oh ya, I mean, ummm that's me

I kinda have a hard time believing that LB is #219. Who created this list?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I probably don't disagree with you in regards to unreported income, however I think the income levels in the Hamptons can pretty much be explained by the fact for many of the wealthy in the Hamptons their primary residence is elsewhere and therefore incomes are counted elsewhere.

No we ruled that out already.

Its in the data apparently.

Crooks

Old 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Who got #1?

Oh ya, I mean, ummm that's me

I kinda have a hard time believing that LB is #219. Who created this list?
No way Long Beach is 219

But wait a minute...we may be on to something.

Rentals.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

10%

20%

50%

Maybe Im wrong.

No you don't, a tax on spending sounds great, but would stifle the economy because it would give huge incentives for people to save money and put off consumption. Plus, it would build an even larger black market for goods.

What you should hope for is an increase in taxation of unearned income. In our society, we tax earned income at a ridiculous level and tax unearned income at a very low level. That is why you and I pay income taxes at the level of 38-40% and Warren Buffet pays 19%.

John Stuart Mill, the economist, proposed that two taxes should be the main form of taxation in a society. Taxation on unearned income, or income that he state people earned while they slept. This would include capital gains on stocks and property, dividends, and interest. The other taxation was taxation of a deceased person's estate. They earned it, they get to keep it, but their children only have a fraction of a right to the inheritance. He thought that taxing productive income, that which is earned through working, was counter productive to society. Because, if you tax someone who works, he has less incentive to work.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
No you don't, a tax on spending sounds great, but would stifle the economy because it would give huge incentives for people to save money and put off consumption. Plus, it would build an even larger black market for goods.

What you should hope for is an increase in taxation of unearned income. In our society, we tax earned income at a ridiculous level and tax unearned income at a very low level. That is why you and I pay income taxes at the level of 38-40% and Warren Buffet pays 19%.

John Stuart Mill, the economist, proposed that two taxes should be the main form of taxation in a society. Taxation on unearned income, or income that he state people earned while they slept. This would include capital gains on stocks and property, dividends, and interest. The other taxation was taxation of a deceased person's estate. They earned it, they get to keep it, but their children only have a fraction of a right to the inheritance. He thought that taxing productive income, that which is earned through working, was counter productive to society. Because, if you tax someone who works, he has less incentive to work.
Amen.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Also, a lot of day laborers and helpers live in the Hamptons, effectively pulling down the median income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island