Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM

162 posts, read 383,283 times

Advertisements

Just bought our house last year, and this winter we noticed the bed room over the garage is alot colder than the rest of the house.
the floor is especially cold.

i was thinking of possible solutions,
new insulated garage door
re-insulate the garage
insulation, and carpet in the bedroom.

anyone have suggestions of the best way to deal with this issue?
any recommendations of someone knowledgeable with this to do the job? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywed1 View Post
Just bought our house last year, and this winter we noticed the bed room over the garage is alot colder than the rest of the house.
the floor is especially cold.

i was thinking of possible solutions,
new insulated garage door
re-insulate the garage
insulation, and carpet in the bedroom.

anyone have suggestions of the best way to deal with this issue?
any recommendations of someone knowledgeable with this to do the job? thanks.
Insulate the garage ceiling, walls and use new rubber grommets on the garage door - never heard of insulated garage doors. The carpet will help, but the insulation will most likely be your most cost-effective fix to keep warm air from leaking out of the bedroom and keep the cold out.

How much insulation do you have in the garage now?
I'd suggest a minimum of R-30 in the ceiling and R-19 in the walls.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 PM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
My bedroom is above our 2 car garage. We have hard wood floors and I know what you are feeling. It's always colder in that room.
However, I like a cold bedroom for sleeping, but not a cold floor.

I went and bought a big area rug that fits part way under the bed. This way when you get in and out, you walk on the rug and in front of the bed I have it coming half way out too. So it's a very big rug. Not only does it keep your feet warm, it makes the room look nice.

It's an inexpensive fix that helped my needs. Just an idea for ya!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
The garage, for the purpose of a thernal barrier, is treated as outside space. Do you have sheetrock on the walls and ceiling of the garage now? How old is the house?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 AM

thanks for all your replies.
this is a split level house built in 1957-1959.
There is sheetrock on the wall and ceiling in the garage.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Do you have hotwater baseboard for heat?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 AM

no, its forced hot air. it doesnt help that the room is also furthest away from the furnace.
and is a nice size room, with only one diffuser.
we feel heat come out, but not as much flow either. but i really dont think thats the problem, because the room still feels cold even with the door open when it feels like the rest of the house, you can still tell its cold, especially the floor

Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
I was hoping you would say you had hotwater. Then you would be able to add some radiant heat in your floors, then some insulation in the garage and be done.
You need someone to come take a air reading of your register. Im sure your probably not getting enough air for the room. Second, add insulation in the garage clg. Bring it up to a R-30 min as someone else suggested.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Insulate the garage ceiling, walls and use new rubber grommets on the garage door - never heard of insulated garage doors. The carpet will help, but the insulation will most likely be your most cost-effective fix to keep warm air from leaking out of the bedroom and keep the cold out.

How much insulation do you have in the garage now?
I'd suggest a minimum of R-30 in the ceiling and R-19 in the walls.
Quick off-topic question for you - can you tell me if R13 for exterior walls and R19 for ceilings is sufficient in a new dormer build?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Quick off-topic question for you - can you tell me if R13 for exterior walls and R19 for ceilings is sufficient in a new dormer build?
Don't know, not familiar with that. Can someone address this question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island