Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandInsurance View Post
Couple of questions for you:

-Have you tried working with a broker? You mentioned "agent" which is why I'm asking
-When your HO (homeowners) was written, did you package it with you auto insurance?

There are tons of property insurance carriers that write in New York. Utica, Narragansett Bay, Harleysville, Chartis, Ocean Harbor, Mercury, Travelers, Kingstone...the list goes on. This list narrows down however when you do not include packaging in your auto coverage.

Right now, it is VERY hard to get HO insurance by itself in Suffolk county. Sure you can get it, but it will not be competitively priced. Thus, be sure when you shop around to package in your auto.

The best thing you can do is contact an insurance broker professional on Long Island to shop your coverage for you. Brokers have access to multiple insurance carriers (both admitted and non-admitted) in New York. They will be able to find the best policy solution for your risk type.
It was a broker -- sorry I used the wrong term.

Of the carriers which write in NY and were willing to write a policy for me (it's been over a year now) Narragansett was the least expensive. One company, name I can't recall, quoted $12,000! All because of the two water incidents mentioned in the earlier post. I did offer up my auto insurance at the same time.

General question: What is the difference with admitted vs. non-admitted? And what are the drawbacks or benefits to either one if a homeowner has a claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM

69 posts, read 158,320 times
admitted vs. non-admitted

Admitted carriers are covered by the state guarantee fund, non-admitted are not which means the policyholder may have some addtional risk if the insurer becomes insolvent when a claim is pending.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Thanks.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM

53 posts, read 204,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
admitted vs. non-admitted

Admitted carriers are covered by the state guarantee fund, non-admitted are not which means the policyholder may have some addtional risk if the insurer becomes insolvent when a claim is pending.
You also pay taxes and fees with a non-admitted carrier. However, in some cases there are no alternatives over the non-admitted carriers.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,520 times
NBIC still has no AM Best rating... I don't believe they have re-insurance either... if you have a company that is not willing to have AM Best look at their financials and doesn't believe in re-insurance... I have a feeling you will be disappointed when a big wind event comes. Irene... tropical storm, Sandy... Super storm... neither had hurricane force winds.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,523 times
Default Narragansett Bay Insurance Company

My freind switch to GEICO( CAR) and used Narragansett Bay Insurance Company ( HOME )for one year only because they raised him alot for the second year for no reason ( lives in syosset) and he never made a claim in his 20 years in the same house . it seemed they sucker you in with a good price for the first year and raise the second year hoping you won't switch ... I think he switch to liberty mutual for both home and car and is very happy with there prices , he has been two years with them ....good luck

Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM

73 posts, read 187,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
My freind switch to GEICO( CAR) and used Narragansett Bay Insurance Company ( HOME )for one year only because they raised him alot for the second year for no reason ( lives in syosset) and he never made a claim in his 20 years in the same house . it seemed they sucker you in with a good price for the first year and raise the second year hoping you won't switch ... I think he switch to liberty mutual for both home and car and is very happy with there prices , he has been two years with them ....good luck
Really ? I am in my first year with them in a new house. I had a claim after the hurricane for the roof and some tree. Think I'm in some trouble now ?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
http://www.nyinsure.ny.gov/insurancereportcards.pdf

Sandy "Report Cards" on the insurers

Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM

247 posts, read 483,241 times
NBIC has one of the highest claims percentages.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
NBIC has one of the highest claims percentages.
They also insure high risk properties which have been cancelled by other insurers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island