Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:17 PM

172 posts, read 221,075 times

Advertisements

i have a very small entry room (about 8 ft high and 6 ft wide) where we have the mailbox and show rack. it's the room after you enter through the storm door and before you enter the main front door. the outer walls of this room are not insulated and i wanted to get some insulation blown in before i get a new front door (which would be up against the strom door).

does anyone have any idea of the cost and any local, good companies that they've dealt with who can do this very quick and easy job??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Well it sounds like that area is unheated.....no need for insulation.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

the room would get the heat from the rest of the home. just need the keep the heat in and not escape though un-insullated walls. it's not really a seperate room, just an entrance way.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 AM

That area is before the front door?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM

i should take a picture. it would probably help.

prior to me buying the house, the previous owner had an awening type room in the front of the house put in and over the original stoop. he also had a little wooden deck put in instead of a brand new brick stoop.

the new awening room has the mailbox in it as well as a coat rack. i leave my shoes in there. it only has a storm door to seprate it from the outside. it's finished but the walls were never insulated because the heat was kept in the home by the original construction and prime door.

the prime and original front door was never removed from the original front entrance so it is still the only door that keeps someone from getting into my home. the mailman and ups comes into my awning room to deliver parcel. if they wanted to, they could take my dirty shoes.

i have recently gotten a new prime door and put in where it belongs with the storm door.

i want to remove the old prime door (right now i have 2 front doors and double security!!!) and open up that old entrance more (cut out some wall space on the sides after i remove the old stell frame).

i don't want to do this until i insulate those outer walls of that awning room since it has now become part of the home. no need to lose heat because those walls are letting cold air go right through them.

the little awning room is about 100-120 sq ft of wallspace/ceiling that needs to be insulated. i'm having trouble finding someone woh can do that little job.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,170 times
Exclamation Front porch insulation

Might want to reconsider opening up the porch and adding it to the heated side of the house. It is alot more involved than moving a door to the storm door location.
The existing heating system is balanced [ or should be ] so that all rooms are heated equally and without cold spots. When you move the door, you are now increasing the heat load in that area. Is the existing system capable of picking up that increased heat load? Will the room that adjoins the porch now be cold? Will you be installing more baseboard in the porch?
If you have a wall that connects it to the house and it is approx 8 feet long, that is what you have to heat. By add in the porch you still have that 8 feet but you add the 2 side walls, the roof area and also the floor area.
An add on porch that was never ment to be anything more than a porch is usally underbuilt. Sounds like it has no footing under it.
Also the idea of standing out in the snow and rain unlocking the door is what the original owner was trying to avoid.
If you still want to convert this into "living area", I would suggest gutting the interior, checking to make sure there is a sufficiant footing, checking to make sure the framing is also sufficent. I would also suggest using spray polyurathane foam for insulation. It costs more but with all surfaces being exterior you need to get the porch as tight as possible. Would also suggest installing some heat on its own thermostat. This way the heat loss of the room could be matched by its own seperate thermostat and baseboard.
Good luck what ever way you choose to go.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM

All you have to do is seal between the entry and the original house. Insulating an unheated area does not help. You can heat that area, then insulate.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,201 times
Does anyone know what this kind of room is called? As the OP described it's the area between the front door (into the house inside) and the storm door.

I have installed dry wall so far and I'm trying to look for inspirations of how to decorate this area.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
I agree with a PP, it sounds like its not a real room, more like a converted stoop. Fine if you want two doors, I wouldnt bother heating or insulating the porch. If you really want to, do it yourself, and maybe a small electric baseboard set to a low temperature, but this doesnt sound like t should be part of the house.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibule_(Architecture)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpisneeded View Post
Does anyone know what this kind of room is called? As the OP described it's the area between the front door (into the house inside) and the storm door.

I have installed dry wall so far and I'm trying to look for inspirations of how to decorate this area.
Enclosed porch? Vestibule?

Last edited by James1202; 08-31-2011 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: add link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island