Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
A teacher who is performing that poorly can be terminated. Tenure only prevents you from being fired WITHOUT just cause.
I would expect that having a teacher terminated for poor performance is a very difficult area as far as the law. How would you set the bar for dismissal, test scores, grading procedures, etc?

Bloomberg is trying to get authorization to dismiss the hundred's of teachers in the rubber rooms, so he can hire productive teachers in their place. Not all are there for performance reasons but if removal was easy that would not be the case.

Just curious if anyone knows of a teacher removed for poor performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
You need to read over OhBeeHave's posts more carefully.

Her son was correct - Mr. O'Leary directs traffic. And he checked for illegal substances and booze - all part of the job. What part of that do you not understand??

His additional pay was due to directing traffic to pump up the last few years of pay to increase his pension payout.

And then there's the huge increase in salary over another phys. ed. teacher. Roughly $30,000+. All a matter of record. Don't believe it? Research it yourself.
Read them again...OhBeeHave herself correctly summed up the many different postions (including that of sports supervisor) that her 18 year old was not aware of. You may want to read that post again before launching.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would expect that having a teacher terminated for poor performance is a very difficult area as far as the law. How would you set the bar for dismissal, test scores, grading procedures, etc?

Bloomberg is trying to get authorization to dismiss the hundred's of teachers in the rubber rooms, so he can hire productive teachers in their place. Not all are there for performance reasons but if removal was easy that would not be the case.

Just curious if anyone knows of a teacher removed for poor performance?
I would start with their evaluations. I think tenured teachers are evaluated at least once a year. I'm not saying it's an easy process and maybe that can be worked on as well. I don't have a good suggestion in reference to the teacher who basically took her last year off and then retired.

Last edited by nassau2suffolk; 01-31-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM

182 posts, read 406,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Read them again...OhBeeHave herself correctly summed up the many different postions (including that of sports supervisor) that her 18 year old was not aware of. You may want to read that post again before launching.
How does anyone explain the gym teacher making $4 or $5K less than the 2nd guy in 1996 and then $30,000 more in 2010?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
How does anyone explain the gym teacher making $4 or $5K less than the 2nd guy in 1996 and then $30,000 more in 2010?
There are numerous explanations of course. The most obvious one is that the first guy earns the graduate credits to move across the salary scale while the second does not. We are talking about 15 years after all. A second obvious explanation is that the 2nd guy stops coaching, etc. A third one is that the 1st guy starts piling on the extracurricular stipends, etc. Or a combination of all three. Or a whole host of other possibilities too boring to list. Time for a new thread.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Quote:
I would start with their evaluations. I think tenured teachers are evaluated at least once a year. I'm not saying it's an easy process and maybe that can be worked on as well. I don't have a good suggestion in reference to the teacher who basically took her last year off and then retired.
I would like to expand on this. I don't think standardized test scores are enough to make or break a teacher. Teachers are evaluated from year one and these could be used to a greater extent. Additional reviews from multiple sources, not just the principal (for fairness), over a period of time would give a good indication of a teachers performance. I find it hard to belive a teacher could go "stale" in only one year unless they purposely gave up.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
I would like to expand on this. I don't think standardized test scores are enough to make or break a teacher. Teachers are evaluated from year one and these could be used to a greater extent. Additional reviews from multiple sources, not just the principal (for fairness), over a period of time would give a good indication of a teachers performance. I find it hard to belive a teacher could go "stale" in only one year unless they purposely gave up.

I don't recall this amount of teachers being removed from class room in Nassau/Suffolk. Whatever the reason I think it is more difficult to even remove from the classroom.

[LEFT]"The plan, being discussed at the highest levels of the Legislature and with aides to Bloomberg, would grant the mayor the right to fire between 2,000 to 4,000 nonclassroom teachers -- including all those who formerly languished in the notorious "rubber room" under disciplinary charges"

Read more: State lawmakers looking to allow Mayor Bloomberg to fire bad teachers and circumvent the 'Last in, first out' law - NYPOST.com
[/LEFT]
State lawmakers looking to allow Mayor Bloomberg to fire bad teachers and circumvent the 'Last in, first out' law - NYPOST.com

Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM

305 posts, read 610,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Please don't forget that "teacher" pensions include professors at the State Universities. That may be bringing up the average pay out. No true teacher in a public school makes enough to warrant that type of pension. Also don't forget that teachers pay 3% of their salary into their pension plan.

WOW! A whopping 3%.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 AM

400 posts, read 761,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
WOW! A whopping 3%.
Haha!! I got you guys beat hands down there... I pay 12% of my salary into my 401k....and have been for 13 years..... Dont you guys wish you were me? I get to work for many more years while you guys are going to be home doing nothing when you retire.....Then when I do retire, I will have to work a second job just to stay afloat.... Boy I got it good..

Old 02-01-2011, 11:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
WOW! A whopping 3%.
And the part left out is they only have to pay that for 10 years. The rest of their teaching careers they pay NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island