Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM

338 posts, read 777,740 times

Advertisements

the sunrise mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM

236 posts, read 473,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I took some time to think about this and honestly, I can't think of a single thing that's improved in the last 10-15 years on LI... The best things about LI are all things that existed way more then 15 years ago. and they certainly have not been improving on those things.

It's more of an acceptance of mediocrity then anything else, which I do not consider improvement at all and really think is kind of sad. Since Crooks is likely to turn my comment into a Tarheel debate - like that has ANY bearing on things improving on LI, which of course it doesn't... but I'm sure there will be a "NC burn" in there somewhere because like that kid in school - if you make other kids look worse or lower then you, then of course, you look better yourself!

Sorry Crooks, too predictable... Preemptive only since I know it's coming. and honestly, I think you have an acronym affinity that goes over most people's heads... Places like Tanger on your list have actually gone downhill recently. Run down looking with empty storefronts compared to years ago... and do people actually bother going to places like Splish Splash? or hit downtown Patchogue for homeless watching?

Either way it's subjective I guess... But things that have improved in the last 10-15 years are minuscule compared to things folks could list that have gone downhill in the past 10-15 years.
In the past 15 years they've expanded the park and probably quadrupled the amount of available parking space to accommodate the crowds. I'd say people are still going.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
the sunrise mall
... well, at least the food court did.

Which opened during an awful winter like this; to a storm so bad... Gloria Gaynor who was set to perform had to cancel!!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

537 posts, read 818,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
I first saw downtown Hempstead 16 years ago. It was a ghost town, with big vacant lots and half-demolished buildings. It's made a real comeback over the past few years.
Indeed, Hempstead would be pretty nice if it weren't for the gang problems.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
I'd say that generally not that much has changed on LI. I think that's a good thing --if it ain't broke, don't fix it. We do have plenty of shortfalls that cannot be improved (excessive tax situation, traffic, weather in Jan-Feb).

Some of the stuff that has changed though. Roads seem to be in better shape (SSPKWY, sunrise, Hemp Tpke, Jericho and other major roads especially in Town of Oyster Bay). Traffic seems to be somewhat lighter (I KNOW I KNOW, WE HAVE TRAFFIC!) but I remember 10-15 years ago some areas turned into gridlock between the hours of 3pm-7pm (like the SSPKWY, Hemp tpke, parts of sunrise and merrick rd and other roads).
I don't know if it's the economy or the slight loss of population from Nassau county, but traffic is definitely a little better than 10 years ago.

When you look at things that have improved though, it really depends on your area. I think the Massapequa/Massapequa Park area has improved a lot since the 90's. The athletic fields, the school amenities and the schools themselves, Sunrise Mall a notch better, the beautiful parks and increased park amenities along with the Massapequa preserve are nicer, the storefront facades have certainly improved, the breadth of shopping and dining has greatly improved (thanks Smokin Als and all the shops in the village) and in the village on Park ave it's a lot nicer generally with more diverse shopping options. The houses, even though they have aged, have also become more unique and much better with the dormer/addition/build-like-mad boom of the 2000-2007 era.

I didn't make this video below, but the area by me improved somewhat. This geeky kid narrating has one thing wrong, there's 6 elementary schools, not 5. But overall an okay video to get an idea. After watching the video below, take a peek at some of Massapequa from way back here.
-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S30iBsqUDA0

Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
More Indian restaurants and grocery stores in Hicksville so I don't have to go all the way to Jackson Heights to buy groceries. But I have been in LI only for 4 years, and though I initially found it ugly compared to Westchester, it grows on you.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
the sunrise mall

Same could be said for the Smithaven Mall. I went there this past Sunday for the first time in a long time and was actually impressed.
I hit the South Shore Malls because 25 and 347 are possibly the 2 worst roads in Suffolk.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
The Bay Shore and Babylon downtown revitalization. Half of downtown Bay Shore used to be empty, now it has stores, bars, restaurants, etc all over. Babylon Village re-did their entire downtown area several years ago and added new lighting, store signs, more parking, etc.

The South Shore Mall has had alot of makeovers over the past several years including an almost completely new food court. Also, a Buffalo Wild Wings replaced the arcade that attracted people who were up to no good making the mall significantly safer.

For all it's faults we do have ALOT to be thankful for here on Long Island; we have a low overall crime rate, pretty decent schools compared to much of the country, a high quality of life, etc. Seriously, you guys need to travel around a bit and you will see how good we have things here.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Wow, you people have really short memories.
In the mid to late 1980's Port Jeff had a curfew, the police stopped you at the top of the hill and checked your id. The corner store always had a broken window and was finally replaced with a door. It was overrun by teenagers and bar hoppers. At one time, half the stores were empty.
In the last 25 years, half that time Port Jeff was not even a nice place, yet is viewed with such reverence by CD.

Patchogue...Hats off to the mayor, huh? He got handed millions of dollars for urban renewal. They put a dress on a pig. Cool place to hang out, sure, but check the neighborhoods.
I still think Port Jefferson is nice, the setting and scenery is obviously much better - and it'd be crazy to try and say in terms of things like schools, quality of neighborhoods, etc. Patchogue is somehow better or anywhere close to being on par. All I'm saying is that when I first "discovered" Port Jeff (which was almost exactly 15 years ago... 1980s I was still knee-high to a grasshopper) I liked the whole atmosphere and crowd a lot better. Now, Patchogue is the more happenin' place. Has that done anything to improve the village aside from becoming a better place to get drunk on a Friday? I'd say so... lots of places get huge sums of federal & state funds for urban renewal and do absolutely zilch with them. It's a massive improvement for the whole area even if the only consequence has been bringing in more stable businesses. There is still an abundance of whatever seedy "element" out there, but Patchogue also seems to be one of the few places now getting a young, professional crowd moving in... a trend that will probably continue to grow since they've pretty much got the market cornered on it. If you're a Suffolk native, 20-30 years old, just graduated college, make a decent amount of money, don't want to settle down but don't want to stray too far from home, where else are you gonna go out there? Not much else available that isn't completely lame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I didn't make this video below, but the area by me improved somewhat. This geeky kid narrating has one thing wrong, there's 6 elementary schools, not 5. But overall an okay video to get an idea. After watching the video below, take a peek at some of Massapequa from way back here.
Wow great scenery in that video!! Just make sure you turn the sound off, haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
More Indian restaurants and grocery stores in Hicksville so I don't have to go all the way to Jackson Heights to buy groceries. But I have been in LI only for 4 years, and though I initially found it ugly compared to Westchester, it grows on you.
House of Dosas is the best thing that happened to Long Island in the last 15 years

Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,381 times
PJ is trying with the new park and museum. If they'd just power wash the ice cream off the streets once in awhile during the summer so your shoes don't stick to the sidewalk and the place didn't smell like NYC it would be nice! And, how dumb can they be to charge you to park to spend money in their stores and restaurants. I feel bad for the shop keepers. For example, who would use a hair salon, massage spa, or deli there when you can find them in any strip mall with easier and free parking anywhere else nearby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island