Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM

69 posts, read 241,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Avienne? Is that the posters code name or something? And I agree, more people should do the speed LIMIT. The extra 10MPH makes little to no difference in arrival time. People should obey the laws.
Do you guys actually expect people to believe that you get on the LIE and literally drive 55 miles an hour? Sorry, I've been driving on the LIE every day for 10 years and outside of rush hour/accident traffic, I *rarely* see anyone doing 55, let along doing it in the left or HOV lane. Not only that, but I've heard of anyone getting pulled over for doing anything less that 70. I have also passed dozens (hundreds?) of posted cops doing 65/70 sometimes with the flow of traffic, sometimes there was no traffic so it was just me... Never so much as a flinch from them.

I'm not saying you have to 80, but if you guys actually drive in the left or HOV lanes pinned at 55, then you're the ***holes. If 99.9% of people are doing 65/70, and cops don't pull you over (EVER) if you're at 65/70, then that is the *acceptable* rate of speed.

That is, acceptable, not required. You are obviously completely entitled to do 55... but do it in the right lane. I don't care what the numbers say, if you are driving 10-15 MPH slower than every single car on the entire highway and every car is going around you (which I'm guessing happens a lot), then yes, YOU are the slow one and to be honest, YOU are gonna cause the accident. If you're driving slower than everyone on the road, you need to be in the right lane (known as the "slow lane") for your own safety, because no one is expecting someone driving that slow to be in the FAST lane and it can only take a second for someone to not be able to stop in time when they come upon your seemingly stalled vehicle in the left lane.

Anyway, arguing about the "letter of the law" (give me a break on that, too) is pointless, it doesn't matter. Everyone on Long Island knows and understands that you don't go less than 65 in the left lane, and sure as hell not in the HOV lane. No one would fault you for being so pure that you are incapable of going five miles an hour over what numbers on a sign say, but that's what the right lane is for. I don't go in the right lane and ride people's bumpers and flip them off because they're going to slow--that's what the right lane is for. Handle your business in that lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Anyway, arguing about the "letter of the law" (give me a break on that, too) is pointless, it doesn't matter

They use to say that about drunk driving years ago. Do you often break the laws you don't like?

BTW...nothing wrong with doing 55 in the HOV lane. I do it all the time. I've seen cops on the side, gee...they never pulled me over either.

Sorry if you are behind me. You need to learn to slow up.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:37 PM

69 posts, read 241,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Anyway, arguing about the "letter of the law" (give me a break on that, too) is pointless, it doesn't matter

They use to say that about drunk driving years ago. Do you often break the laws you don't like?

BTW...nothing wrong with doing 55 in the HOV lane. I do it all the time. I've seen cops on the side, gee...they never pulled me over either.

Well they're not gonna pull you over for doing the speed limit obviously. You're kidding if you think it's normal to go 55 in the HOV lane though, posted speed limit or not. So if you're in the HOV lane and you see a mile of cars behind you, but no one in front of you for miles, and the every other lane is passing you, you would actually stay there, knowing that you're the ONE PERSON holding up DOZENS of cars, instead of just moving to the right lane where you should be?

I don't know you but how can you not think that you're not the ******* in that situation? That is mind blowing. The right lane is where slower drivers belong, that is common knowledge. Like I said before, I understand the limit is 55 and you clearly do not break or bed ANYTHING (never crossed a street outside of a crosswalk? never came to a rolling stop at a 4 way stop at 3AM when you're the only car on the road? never got into the shoulder for 10 feet so you could make a right turn?) but you need to stay in the right lane and let every single other person on the entire island who knows what they're doing handle their business.

I'd also say to take note next time you see a cop on the LIE driving (regular driving, not lights on flying to a crime scene driving), and I want you to post here when you see one driving 55. Guarentee you it will not happen in this lifetime. Why? Because everyone understands that the acceptable speed limit on the LIE is 65/70. Common knowledge.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Quote:
Was heading out to wonderful Rocky Point from Massapequa yesterday at about 230 or so. If Im not working on Friday, I usually head out to the Gem of Long Island around noon; rarely, do I leave around 230.

I noticed that the amount of aggressive drivers on the SSP and LIE was far more than what I have noticed in the past. Is it because everyone is high strung due to this awful winter or is it because the 3pm crown is filled with idiots that want to get home earlier.

Obviously traffic at that time is heavier due to school getting out but the SSP and LIE were pretty heavy and the amount of idiots cutting people off was by far the most I have seen in months.

Could it be that this crowd are the early workers who go in at 6am and get out at 2pm...probably made up of lower educated Johnny Six Pack construction workers who shouldnt be allowed to drive until they learn how to conduct themselves in public?
I just started a new job near MacArthur...and take either the LIE from 63 to 61 (or Sunrise) at about 6am. I think the 2:30-3pm crowd your seeing are the same bunch tearing it up at 530-6am. even though I'm only on for a few exits it's INSANE at that hour...a definite difference in how aggressive people are.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 AM

I noticed the same thing coming back from Rocky Point in the morning. If you hit the roads at 5, they think they are at LeMans.

Of course, I must be wrong...because I have been told you are suppose to drive at the pace of traffic

Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
That would be about the time all the soccer Moms hit the road.No?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:25 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Yep, soccer moms rushing around to get errands done before rush hour. Watch them barrel through parking lots at 30MPH in minivans and SUVs.

"Getting Trevor's ballet slippers is more important than your life!!"

Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:

Why not let the police enforce the speed limit and handle the speeders? The way you're doing it can get you or someone else hurt.

Regarding the start of rush hour, that is a progression that has been going on for years. In the '80s, it seemed to have started at about 3:30. In the 90's i noticed it started at about 3, then 2:45 and so on. A few minutes either way seems to make a difference. Like clockwork, if you are not on that crest, ahead of the crowd, you're in the pack, limping along.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
nobody is carpooling with someone who does 55 in the HOV so everybody relax, because this whole scenario is not happening.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
nobody is carpooling with someone who does 55 in the HOV so everybody relax, because this whole scenario is not happening.
You don't have to carpool in the HOV lane during off-hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island