Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM

54 posts, read 216,374 times

Advertisements

I'm new in the forums (although i've been reading them for a while now)...and i haven't found anything about the area that i'm interested in, so i decided to post.

I'm planning on buying a house in Merrick, Bellmore, or Wantagh, and i found a couple in Merrick that fit my budget, and i was wondering how the area was.

One of the houses is South of Smith Street, West of Merrick Ave, East of Babylon Turnpike, and North of the Sunrise.

The other one is South of the Sunrise, West of Babylon Turnpike, East of Meadowbrook PkWy, and North of Merrick Road.

I know the schools are great, so i guess i'm really asking about crime, and stuff like that. I'd like to hear the good things too! Anything would help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Joseph Merrick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, I got nothin' but its been too quiet on this thread.

Seanx4s the man for this area.

Crooks

Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow86 View Post
I'm new in the forums (although i've been reading them for a while now)...and i haven't found anything about the area that i'm interested in, so i decided to post.

I'm planning on buying a house in Merrick, Bellmore, or Wantagh, and i found a couple in Merrick that fit my budget, and i was wondering how the area was.

One of the houses is South of Smith Street, West of Merrick Ave, East of Babylon Turnpike, and North of the Sunrise.

The other one is South of the Sunrise, West of Babylon Turnpike, East of Meadowbrook PkWy, and North of Merrick Road.

I know the schools are great, so i guess i'm really asking about crime, and stuff like that. I'd like to hear the good things too! Anything would help!

Thanks!
I'm from and lived in Wantagh 30 years, but left in 1995. I asked my brother now in Wantagh, and he said the area is getting hit by crime these days even though the whole Rivera is still real nice living. Not to scare you away, just something different now to consider that the recession brought on probably. Check the local Patch for recent police reports. What's happening is the police think outsiders from neighboring towns mainly west of Meadowbrook are coming in and doing home invasions. Then, due to the proximity of Meadowbrook and Wantagh pkwys they have good escape routes. The police are setting up task forces now mainly on Friday and Saturday eve. when people may be out for dinner. That info. came from an old friend now a Nassau cop.

Search this forum, there's good info. on the North Merrick area you mentioned. With all those towns on the Riv., the more south of Merrick Rd. you go the nicer and bigger bucks. I can't afford living there now, but if you can, check it out, talk with the neighbors, and talk with the police about any block you're interested in. JM2C

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Search this forum, there's good info. on the North Merrick area you mentioned. With all those towns on the Riv., the more south of Merrick Rd. you go the nicer and bigger bucks. I can't afford living there now, but if you can, check it out, talk with the neighbors, and talk with the police about any block you're interested in. JM2C
Thanks! Actually the area i talk about is not North Merrick, nor is South Merrick, where the big bucks are; i can't afford it either. The two houses i saw, in the areas mentioned (it's middle-West Merrick to give it a name) are around 300K...which is kind of low, that's why i thought maybe the area was a little bad.

Thanks again! (you too Crooks)

Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
Quote:
Thanks! Actually the area i talk about is not North Merrick, nor is South Merrick, where the big bucks are; i can't afford it either. The two houses i saw, in the areas mentioned (it's middle-West Merrick to give it a name) are around 300K...which is kind of low, that's why i thought maybe the area was a little bad.

It's a nice area. Close to highway, nice shopping, and good schools.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:

That info. on Patch is a couple of months old, so check the archives if you want. Right, was shovelling out of our 2 ft. of snow and pretty wiped. I didn't read your details right, but you're correct, that area is still just called Merrick. Yeh, North Merrick is the area up near the SSP.

One thing also, for under $300K there, they are probably those real small fixer-uppers, some with 2 br, 1 bath, or 3/1. Try to stay with 3 br, 2 bath for a little more, and you'll have far better resale value later on. Even if it needs work, do it bit by bit.

I couldn't paste the links, but here are 2 homes south of Merrick Road in prime areas, good schools for ya. Remember, you're paying up for the location, so the houses in the $300K's there will be real liveable, but not great:

1) South Bellmore $339 MLS #2224327
2) South Merrick $349 MLS #2324332

Had some time tonight to check aroun

Later

Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks again Gag. You are right though the house i liked is 2bd, 1bath, and it looks pretty small. The little experience i have in construction tells me i wont be able to do any extensions, although it has a full basement that i could finish little by little, and perhaps make another bedroom there. The good thing about this house is that t was completely renovated two years ago (the inside)...so everything is new. (check ML# 2224762)

The other one is 3bd, with opportunity for extension, and full basement too. It's a bit more expensive, and like you said, it doesn't look great. (ML#: 2335620)

My main concern is the area; i don't know how good they are considering they are "in the border" with Freeport (yet a bit far)

Thanks for the two recommendations, the problem is that my offer needs to be as high as 300K (maybe a bit more)...and i doubt they would go from 339 or 349 to 300 hehe... then again i'm new at this, so maybe? The one in Bellmore looks nice

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
No worries....nice area.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with the area, I'm from Bellmore/wantagh.

at least I haven't heard of unusually high crime

Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM

184 posts, read 227,923 times
The area you're looking at is exactly where I live. It's a great neighborhood with a nice downtown on Merrick Ave. The Meadowbrook provides a great buffer, believe me. I wouldn't worry about crime, as police are always present and the south Merrick Community Civic Association keeps tabs on goings ons. I've lived on LI my entire life and can say that Merrick is one of the nicest towns on the south shore of Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island