Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,329,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Dormers could be picked apart for little things, however that turret is like the tail wagging the dog. If they had eliminated the garage and brought a porch around which would be situated under but extended past the turret, it might have tied it down to the house better.

http://www.crbizjournal.com/Assets/dept_1/PM/images/NEO-5.jpg (broken link)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/...e3589734_z.jpg

Regarding 4DID's assessment: Is it harsh or realistic? That house has a sundry list of things which the homeowner's probably liked on other houses in more affluent areas. Only thing was they weren't all on one house. Growing up North Pequan, I came to see so much of that around. People would see their wealthier family member's homes and try to replicate it on a budget.
well.... I do get that, and agree with it somewhat, I'm more considering what someone would think knowing their house was being ripped apart on a forum. Although I personally think the turret could be little out of place, other nits bug me more.

again, 20/20 hindsight is the problem, forseeing these "problems" or inconsistancies is great if you can, but most people don't, and most "architects," may have credentials, but aren't paid for the time required to do a full well proportioned design and see it through. I went through the process, With my guy we paid him to draw plans, file permits etc. we met with him a few times and went through revisions... however, we did the floorplan and outside elevations ourselves on paper before we even hired him and we paid attention to the little details. he wasn't bad, but ultimately, we were hiring him to draft plans, not design a house. if he were really paid to design the house, work over the proportions to make it 1000% perfect to the critical eye, oversee the selection of materials, colors, ensure construction was performed to his specs withe plenty of site vists etc.... the cost would have been much much higher and is generally just not done at this level of house.

Also home owners have their wants, an existing house with a certian footprint, and a budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,595,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
well.... I do get that, and agree with it somewhat, I'm more considering what someone would think knowing their house was being ripped apart on a forum. Although I personally think the turret could be little out of place, other nits bug me more.

again, 20/20 hindsight is the problem, forseeing these "problems" or inconsistancies is great if you can, but most people don't, and most "architects," may have credentials, but aren't paid for the time required to do a full well proportioned design and see it through. I went through the process, With my guy we paid him to draw plans, file permits etc. we met with him a few times and went through revisions... however, we did the floorplan and outside elevations ourselves on paper before we even hired him and we paid attention to the little details. he wasn't bad, but ultimately, we were hiring him to draft plans, not design a house. if he were really paid to design the house, work over the proportions to make it 1000% perfect to the critical eye, oversee the selection of materials, colors, ensure construction was performed to his specs withe plenty of site vists etc.... the cost would have been much much higher and is generally just not done at this level of house.

Also home owners have their wants, an existing house with a certian footprint, and a budget.

Fair enough. Chances are the homeowner allowed the contractor to post their project. Once it's on the internet -- it is fair game.

I deal with a completely different level of home improvements and the scope of work is far more unique. With respect to my clientelle: the architect who designed the turret plans would be out of his league. Many of the homes are within historic districts or in communities where the aesthetics of traditional homes are valued, which can also be credited for the absence of tail-wagging-the-dog additions.

Homeowners want many things; it's their home, their money and a major expense. If they've created something that looks good on paper yet turns out to be a tail-wagging-the-dog then what? That's a lot of good money out the window.

As I wrote earlier -- if the homeowner is happy, the contractor gave them a quality job, and it isn't across the street from me -- all's well.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,208,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I like the Turret - It sets it apart from all the other Dormers in the area.
I like it too! Everybody needs their own gun tower.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,724,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Dormers could be picked apart for little things, however that turret is like the tail wagging the dog. If they had eliminated the garage and brought a porch around which would be situated under but extended past the turret, it might have tied it down to the house better.

http://www.crbizjournal.com/Assets/dept_1/PM/images/NEO-5.jpg (broken link)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/...e3589734_z.jpg

Regarding 4DID's assessment: Is it harsh or realistic? That house has a sundry list of things which the homeowner's probably liked on other houses in more affluent areas. Only thing was they weren't all on one house. Growing up North Pequan, I came to see so much of that around. People would see their wealthier family member's homes and try to replicate it on a budget.
I wouldn't eliminate the garage. Way too many uses especially for a guy and I think most contractors would advise against that; maybe I'm wrong, IDK. The porch idea is a good one. Maybe take out the room on the right and do the porch there.? They really should have brought it in 3-6 feet or done something like this in the picture below, even if it meant giving up a some sq footage vs having an awkward looking turret:

171 Biltmore Blvd - New Homes for Sale - MLS #2359141 - Realtor.com®

Last edited by Pequaman; 02-10-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I wouldn't eliminate the garage. Way too many uses especially for a guy and I think most contractors would advise against that; maybe I'm wrong, IDK. The porch idea is a good one. Maybe take out the room on the right and do the porch there.? They really should have brought it in 3-6 feet or done something like this in the picture below, even if it meant giving up a some sq footage vs having an awkward looking turret:

171 Biltmore Blvd - New Homes for Sale - MLS #2359141 - Realtor.com®

That turret is far more appealing as it is tied into the home as opposed to floating cantelevered out into space. Your idea as to relocating the garage to the other side to do so would be good. Thinking of the word someone else used -- budget -- could be one reason for not doing that as it would have involved more construction on the first floor. If we could see inside we would have a better idea as to why it was done the way it was done. I believe Chrisk made a point of stating something about the reason being inside the house, but IMHO, outside is just as important. After all -- first impressions mean a lot.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM

the Biltmore Blvd house has a much more pleasing turret. Moving the garage on top of the additon would just add a bunch more money to the cost.

I would bet that the window placement and "feature" placement on the house was done from the inside without as much concern to the outside. some said, hey I want a bathroom here with only an oval window, or a walk in closet. sounds great, but leaves a blank wall on the front of the house.

they could have made everything hang together if they really played with placement on things, maybe moved the turret over to the right side of the house and played with window placement to have better proportions and adjusted the peaks accordingly. the sore thumb, i see in this, is the pre-existing right side bump forward which seems ignored in the process, probably due to budget reasons as what they did was already expensive.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
the Biltmore Blvd house has a much more pleasing turret. Moving the garage on top of the additon would just add a bunch more money to the cost.

I would bet that the window placement and "feature" placement on the house was done from the inside without as much concern to the outside. some said, hey I want a bathroom here with only an oval window, or a walk in closet. sounds great, but leaves a blank wall on the front of the house.

they could have made everything hang together if they really played with placement on things, maybe moved the turret over to the right side of the house and played with window placement to have better proportions and adjusted the peaks accordingly. the sore thumb, i see in this, is the pre-existing right side bump forward which seems ignored in the process, probably due to budget reasons as what they did was already expensive.
Agreed.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM

I'd post what I did to my house, which of course I think is much better, but alas, I don't think I have a thick skin to take the reviews.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,724,855 times
Chrisk & OBH. What I meant is, demolish that room sticking out to the right of the front door, build a nice wide porch on that side with the turret on that side (Basically reverse of the Biltmore house) leaving the garage where it is.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,208,465 times
^^^
The heck with turrets.

I want a MOAT.

With a drawbridge.

And alligators ... lots of alligators ...

(Does anyone know how they do in cold winters?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island