U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM

311 posts, read 969,654 times

Advertisements

My mother in law's car broke down and it's not worth the money it would cost to fix it. She doesn't have a lot of money, or good credit, so I am looking to help her out.

Can anyone recommend some good, trustworthy used car dealerships in Suffolk, relatively close to Centereach. Looking to spend maybe 3-4K.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,675,316 times
You'd be surprised at what can be found on craigslist, many offers have pictures and with Carfax,
you do have some greater insight to the vehicles condition. Give it a look, see what you can find!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,469,725 times
I would go with a New car dealership for used car with all the floods in the country latley you never know what they truck in from where??A dealership will usually wholesale a car out if there is any doubt.JMO

Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM

41 posts, read 166,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
My mother in law's car broke down and it's not worth the money it would cost to fix it. She doesn't have a lot of money, or good credit, so I am looking to help her out.

Can anyone recommend some good, trustworthy used car dealerships in Suffolk, relatively close to Centereach. Looking to spend maybe 3-4K.

Thanks
Buy a 1990-2002 4 cylinder Honda Accord from a private party. Bring a friend who knows about cars or agree to get a pre-purchase inspection from your mechanic (expect to spend $100 on that).

Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,706,693 times
you will never get anything decent at that pricepoint from a used car dealer. There are tons of cars on Craigslist for that price. I fact we just bought two used cars from private sellers on Craigslist last month. Get the carfax before you buy.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM

629 posts, read 1,627,983 times
You will NEVER score a kind of bargain at a dealer that you can from a private seller. That said - here's some advice based on MY own experience (I've never purchased a NEW car in my life):

1) Decide on a make/model of car that you like and meets your needs. Don't get caught up in reading reviews from organizations like Consumers - they are NOT the end-all/final word in the world of autos - they just offer an opinion.

2) Sign up for CARFAX - you'll pay about $10 per report. DO NOT take a CARFAX report from a seller - you run one YOURSELF at YOUR computer using the VIN number YOU copied off the dashboard of the car when you went to inspect it.

3) Find a private seller selling a vehicle - try to buy a ONE or TWO owner vehicle. WHO you buy a used car from is nearly as important as anything else. Try and size the seller up - go with your gut. When you first talk to the seller on the phone - ask them why they are selling the car. When you go to physically look at the vehicle - after discussing the vehicle for a while and making some small talk - ask them why they are selling it again. Make sure they are consistent in their replies! People who tell the truth don't need to have good memories - liars need to have near perfect memories

4) Try and buy a car that has been garaged - it makes a BIG difference in the overall condition - even for an old car (I have a 10 year old car that looks very good - despite its 160K miles - due to it being garaged for the past 8 years of its life).

5) When you find a car you like and agree on a price with the seller - then pay a private mechanic for an hour of his time to inspect the car for you. Be SURE to ask the mechanic to list for you any items that need to be addressed immediately upon your buying the vehicle - so you can budget accordingly. Upon his inspection showing no major issues - do the deal with the seller.

6) Make sure you get the seller to sign a bill of sale (you can download a sample one from the internet) and sign the title over to you. Make SURE there are no lien holders listed on the title! I strongly advise that you AND the seller exchange photocopies of your drivers licenses. Ask the seller to drive the vehicle to YOU - so that the vehicle can be insured during final transport - and remove the plates and scrape ALL the stickers off the windshield once the vehicle is in your possession.

GOOD LUCK - it's not as daunting a task as it seams really - it just takes some time and patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island