Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
of course they can take away recess. I remember kids losing recess as a punishment for whatever they did during the day. It was a good enough deterrent for me to stay in line.
Yes, let the teachers try to discipline the students, because obviously the parents can't if the children can't act respectfully in public.

I remember standing on the wall during recess. We used to all play wrestle and the teacher's never liked that.

Rule #1: Don't pile drive your best friend.
Rule #2: Jumping off the jungle gym is not considered the 3rd rope during recess time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Yes, kids misbehave so we should give them MORE recess time. That will work out great.

We wonder why education is failing in this country. Everybody thinks it's the schools.

At least half of the issue is parents. Kids misbehave, and instead of asking what the kids did, the first response is "sue the teacher, get them fired, how dare you punish my Trevor/Kaitlin/Kayla/Conner!!!"

When I was in elementary school we'd have "silent lunch" or recess taken away on a regular basis. If I went home and complained about it, the first thing that my parents would say is "next time do what the teacher told you to do."

Get a grip people.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 PM

5,518 posts, read 7,109,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Never happened to me, but now that teachers are having Brokeback Mountain screenings and suspending kids with GI Joes, who knows.
What exactly is Brokeback Mountain screenings?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yes, kids misbehave so we should give them MORE recess time. That will work out great.

We wonder why education is failing in this country. Everybody thinks it's the schools.

At least half of the issue is parents. Kids misbehave, and instead of asking what the kids did, the first response is "sue the teacher, get them fired, how dare you punish my Trevor/Kaitlin/Kayla/Conner!!!"

When I was in elementary school we'd have "silent lunch" or recess taken away on a regular basis. If I went home and complained about it, the first thing that my parents would say is "next time do what the teacher told you to do."

Get a grip people.
Your parent and mine might have been friends ...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Your parent and mine might have been friends ...

I think that's what the norm was 30 years ago.

This is the bottom line to me: nearly every kid from India or China that my wife has in her class ends up being one of the top 3 students in that class, even if they aren't the brightest. Why? Because they are forced to care about school. American kids are not. We can have every talking head in the world scream about how the public schools are failing until they are blue in the face, you can throw money at the schools, you can blame overpaid teachers, blah blah.

There is room for the schools to improve, but if you want to know why we are falling behind, it's not about the schools. It's about the students and how they are brought up.

If your kid spends more time playing video games than doing homework..it's probably not the schools fault. If your kids spends more time at Football/Soccer/Lacrosse/MMA/Ju Jitsu/etc ad infinitum than they do studying..it's probably not the schools fault. If you kid spends more time watching the Kardashians than studying, it's probably not the schools fault.

I'm not pointing fingers just at everyone else, I see this creeping into my own family, it's something I try to correct all the time..and my wife is a teacher. We as a society do not respect education and hard work. What do our bright kids want to do? Go to school for medicine for the next 10 years, or go work on Wall Street running scams and retire by 40? We admire money, fame, and leisure.

End of rant.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
I think that's what the norm was 30 years ago.

This is the bottom line to me: nearly every kid from India or China that my wife has in her class ends up being one of the top 3 students in that class, even if they aren't the brightest. Why? Because they are forced to care about school. American kids are not. We can have every talking head in the world scream about how the public schools are failing until they are blue in the face, you can throw money at the schools, you can blame overpaid teachers, blah blah.

There is room for the schools to improve, but if you want to know why we are falling behind, it's not about the schools. It's about the students and how they are brought up.

If your kid spends more time playing video games than doing homework..it's probably not the schools fault. If your kids spends more time at Football/Soccer/Lacrosse/MMA/Ju Jitsu/etc ad infinitum than they do studying..it's probably not the schools fault. If you kid spends more time watching the Kardashians than studying, it's probably not the schools fault.

I'm not pointing fingers just at everyone else, I see this creeping into my own family, it's something I try to correct all the time..and my wife is a teacher. We as a society do not respect education and hard work. What do our bright kids want to do? Go to school for medicine for the next 10 years, or go work on Wall Street running scams and retire by 40? We admire money, fame, and leisure.

End of rant.

+1 - You got that right....at it all starts at the top - Send a message, it's alright to reward bad behavior, you will reap what you sow.
Well, I tried to rep you, it won't let me give you anymore rep.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
Quote:

Get a grip people.

what are you talking about?? whoever said that on this thread? it was a simple question-talk about going off on a tangent....

Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Gym, no. As pp mentioned it's a state requirement.

Recess, yes - but in my opinion, taking away recess is a bone head move, if kids are acting up then they need MORE time to burn off steam, not less. But teachers don't have to watch them during recess on Long Island, so what they heck do they care? Still, I think it bites them later in the day.
Here is where my recess comment came from.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
what are you talking about?? whoever said that on this thread? it was a simple question-talk about going off on a tangent....
Yes teachers are allowed to take away recess. That was the answer. I described my post as a rant so yes it was a bit of a tangent, maybe a bit presumptuous about the OP but still probably an accurate reading into the underlying attitude towards the schools, teachers, and discipline.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Hi. My daughters teacher got mad at the class and she took recess away from everyone. I know they are only having free play in the classroom and not running around outside getting exercise but I didnt think teachers were allowed to take either away. Has anyone else heard this?

Old school parents, the ones who REALLY knew how to raise their kids, would have beat the pulp out of their kids for making the teacher mad. It was called discipline....Nowadays, parents ever-fearful that their child's self-esteem might be fractured, consult lawyers. Lousy parenting! Do your kid and society a favor and drop it. Teach your kid to respect authority...Why does it REALLY matter whether the teacher's allowed to take recess away? If you're so concerned about your daughter getting exercise, rip the TV and computer out of her room and TAKE HER TO THE PARK YOURSELF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island