Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,959 times

Advertisements

I was born in Elmont back in 1961. Grew up there and then went into the military in 1983. Ended up moving down to Florida to be with my family who all pretty much moved down here. Been here for almost 30 years now, but think of the old Elmont that used to be, quite alot these days. I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhre else. I hear alot of bad things about home everytime I speak to someone who used to live up there. Very sad. Went to Gotham Ave then EMHS and finally graduated from Sewanhaka in 1979. I miss King Umberto's Pizza. I miss the diners up there and I miss all the great memories I have from growing up there in a better place and time.
My hat may hang in Florida, but my heart will always be in Elmont.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 22,658 times
I lived in Elmont most of my life and I was the forth generation of my family to live there. but I could not live there now. I have no idea how so many people from 3rd word counties are able to buy up 300 to 600 thousand dollar houses like they are free. I worked with some of these people at LIJ and they earned $12 - 15 an hour sweeping floors but yet own a house in Elmont or Vally Stream ? Well I could go on , but what's the use , that's just the way it is now! . I was going to drive past my old house but was block by a murder scene ! no joke . forget it . it a ^@%#$ zoo

Old 05-25-2010, 02:15 PM

14 posts, read 100,844 times
Hey i just responded to your post that you posted to me back in 2008. LOL i never came back here...couldnt find it actually. how do you see if anyone replied to a post? OH wait..yours is from 2008 too. LOL im sitting here writing to ghosts...oh well. i do remember all those places and plenty more. Dont forget meacham Pizza and Umbertos. Hope all is well

Old 05-25-2010, 02:19 PM

I grew up in Elmont and loved it so much that I moved only one town over. Things are different in elmont...but i feel like im still home. I can pass by whenever i want and see my old house. There are bad things that happen, but that is everywhere, especially the neighborhoods that have gone downhill, which Elmont happens to be one of them. But i still love all the memories, from foozeball world to Stop 20 to Franklin Bowl....ahhhhh the good old days when we never locked our doors...we couldnt, we didnt have a key. lol everyone looked out for everyones kids...etc. Glad you're doing good in Fla.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWopLuva View Post
I was born in Elmont back in 1961. Grew up there and then went into the military in 1983. Ended up moving down to Florida to be with my family who all pretty much moved down here. Been here for almost 30 years now, but think of the old Elmont that used to be, quite alot these days. I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhre else. I hear alot of bad things about home everytime I speak to someone who used to live up there. Very sad. Went to Gotham Ave then EMHS and finally graduated from Sewanhaka in 1979. I miss King Umberto's Pizza. I miss the diners up there and I miss all the great memories I have from growing up there in a better place and time.
My hat may hang in Florida, but my heart will always be in Elmont.
I grew up in Elmont and loved it so much that I moved only one town over. Things are different in elmont...but i feel like im still home. I can pass by whenever i want and see my old house. There are bad things that happen, but that is everywhere, especially the neighborhoods that have gone downhill, which Elmont happens to be one of them. But i still love all the memories, from foozeball world to Stop 20 to Franklin Bowl....ahhhhh the good old days when we never locked our doors...we couldnt, we didnt have a key. lol everyone looked out for everyones kids...etc. Glad you're doing good in Fla.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 PM

45 posts, read 94,919 times
I too grew up in Elmont. Graduated from Sewanhaka in 1990. I lived on landford drive off of dutch broadway, lived on cameron st and owned a house on oakley ave. I moved to PA a few years back and still have family in Elmont. I visit about once a month and hate the traffic I hit on hempstead turnpike as soon as I exit the cross island. It takes forever to get anywhere. The town itself is dead. With all of the illegal apartments you can’t park in front of your own home most of the time. It is time they move the queens boarder further east.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,612 times
kathy from elmont i miss that town and riding my bike through the neighborhood i especially loved ats junior high school it was the best school I've ever attended the teachers in 1975 were the best

Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 AM

7 posts, read 39,943 times
I remember the Paragons. Used to walk home with Jim Heizeman as we were both on fraley's track team an both Discus and Shot put throwers. Also remember Farranti and a few others whose name escapes me.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 39,943 times
Probably grew up with my father. They lived on Lehrer between Rosser and Kiefer streets

Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,638 times
I grew up in Elmont and graduated from Sewanhaka in 1990. I moved out of there over 15 years ago but my parents still live there. Hold onto your good memories!! It has really changed there. Everyone I went to school with moved away from there. I have great memories of Roller Castle(now townhouses),Elmont Bowling Alley(now a drug store,Party City and Payless Shoes) and A.T.S. (now an enormous and beautiful library).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island