Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 AM

92 posts, read 476,449 times

Advertisements

I graduated from Elmont Memorial High School in 1969. It was awhile ago but it was the "good old days." I am living in Houston,Texas now for 29 years and still have not adjusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 AM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1 View Post
I graduated from Elmont Memorial High School in 1969. It was awhile ago but it was the "good old days." I am living in Houston,Texas now for 29 years and still have not adjusted.
Have no fear, no worry's...
You wouldn’t bend to Elmont these days in 2007 either especialy after dark!!

My aunt lives on the dead end on Grant street. Everthing is shot west of the Home Depot (Former Great Eastern Mills) store.
Stop 20 is gone; "Februarys" (Gaspers Fun House) is now a "Club Rum" where Sec 8 Caribbean immigrants booze up and shoot and kill each other at night.

-Joe

Old 07-21-2007, 11:39 AM

21 posts, read 152,793 times
Hey Ann1,
I too lived in Elmont and graduated El. M.H.S. Ironically I also live in Houston.
I will pm you.
What a shame. Elmont was such a great place to grew up. There was actually a time when people left their doors opened and one would knock and enter their friend's house at the same time. I always had thoughts of going back to visit but maybe not. I would rather keep the good thoughts in my mind.
Hope others respond.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:58 PM

116 posts, read 171,890 times
Stop20 isn't gone. Though I'm fairly young I know a diner by that name on Hempstead and Covert. Must be a different one. And Elmont isn't totally ruined, there's still pockets of niceness but they don't run too deep..

Old 07-22-2007, 03:49 PM

92 posts, read 476,449 times
I seem to remember Stop 20. Do you or did you live in Elmont or somewhere near? I am also glad to hear there is something nice left there.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:29 PM

14 posts, read 100,826 times
Default Elmont.....

Hey guys,

Stop 20 is still there. Febs is now Club Rum as the other post said. I went to Sewanhaka 1000 years ago and now live in Franklin Square. I used to live off of Meacham Ave. on one of the letter streets. Things have definitely changed. On my way to Gino's pizza on Dutch Broadway....I still love to pass my block. It is a league of nations. Not many italians left, not many Irish left.

I guess all the kids grew up, moved out, got their own places, so when their parents passed away, the kids just up and sold their homes......not caring to whom. Alot of crime, but still some nice areas trying to hang in there. I have to say....alot of it has been kept up really nice. No tires in the trees or broken cars in the driveways. People are taking pride in their posessions. Some are anyway. I am only one town over now.....but it seems like Im in another country.

Take care.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM

223 posts, read 604,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1 View Post
Hey:

I was born in Elmont in 1976 and lived there during my early childhood...until my parents moved me to St. louis. I remember walking to path-mark and going to the McDonalds on Dutch Broadway...

I lived on L street. We rented the upstairs of a house, though I don't remember the house number. If anyone happens to read this and knows L street well ...if you know the damaged fence on the left...I think as you are coming FROM Meacham ave on L street right before you hit Arcadian Ave... I am the one who put my parent's car into neutral on the hill and rammed that fence at about 5 years old!...The last time I visited that house it was still damaged.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:40 PM

I was raised on E Street. I know L Street well....not sure of the address with your damaged fence. Pretty funny driving at 5. Glad your ok. I also know a bit further down a motorcycle hit a white cement wall (one of my brother's friends) I think he was going straight from Keller Avenue to L Street. It was amazing he survived. He was a mess, but still alive. Did everyone from Elmont move to Texas cept me?? :-)

Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM

223 posts, read 604,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playful View Post
I was raised on E Street. I know L Street well....not sure of the address with your damaged fence. Pretty funny driving at 5. Glad your ok. I also know a bit further down a motorcycle hit a white cement wall (one of my brother's friends) I think he was going straight from Keller Avenue to L Street. It was amazing he survived. He was a mess, but still alive. Did everyone from Elmont move to Texas cept me?? :-)
Yea, I was fine, but my poor mom dropped her groceries and went running down the street after me and got wedged in between the car and the fence until someone hlped her out..she was fine too, though.

I didn't move to TX, but I moved to St. louis...I actually lived back on the Island for awhile right before 9/11, but I am here now because of my wife. I miss it there...even with all of its problems.

Last edited by stlsteved; 09-05-2007 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: asked a stupid question

Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 PM

I could never think of living anywhere else. I love it here. At one point I was thinking about moving further out on the island to be closer to my brother and the rest of my family. The only one still here is my sister and one niece and one nephew. They are in Garden City. I feel like I am in the perfect weather location.

All the stuff that is going on today with earthquakes and hurricanes and tsunamis and tornado's. It's all so surreal. I think I will stay put. Anyway my son is 14 now. This is all he knows and doesnt want to move anywhere. Stores have come and gone. People are different, places on Meacham Ave aren't even recognizable...but it's still home. Like I said, I live in Franklin Square now....but its still 2 minutes from Elmont.

Glad your mom was ok. Wow that had to be scary.

How do you like St. Louis? Must be a different pace than you were used to here.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island