Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We are either moving to France or moving west ; where to ; I dont know as we are researching other areas now. We are fortunate enough to be from ireland so we can live anywhere in the EU. But we are also naturalized citizens and our children were born here. We have no family here so no ties in that regard.

I love the ocean ; and the closeness to Manhatten. But thats really all I love about Long island.
My godly grandmother came from Ireland. If you asked her if she ever wanted to go back to that Moderator cut: language removed or anywhere in Europe she would have hit you upside your head.

She had no use nor did she pine for the "old country'. Perhaps it was because her 5 sons fought for this country in WWII....or perhaps..she just knew she didnt leave for no reason.

I despise immigrants who use this country to gather wealth and then go back tor the old land. You should have stayed there to begin with.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-16-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
My godly grandmother came from Ireland. If you asked her if she ever wanted to go back to that &$^hole or anywhere in Europe she would have hit you upside your head.

She had no use nor did she pine for the "old country'. Perhaps it was because her 5 sons fought for this country in WWII....or perhaps..she just knew she didnt leave for no reason.

I despise immigrants who use this country to gather wealth and then go back tor the old land. You should have stayed there to begin with.

I honestly think this post is out of line and hope that the mods pull it. I am proud for your uncles who fought for their country. My kids and I are proud to be American. I have given jobs to americans (not illegals), I have worked hard in this wonderful country and am proud to have given it 25 hard worked years. I never sent my money home ; in fact I used it to broaden my education, to become a benefit to society and didnt beg or borrow or steal while I was here.

I am just saying that Long Island seems to have gotten beaten down in the past few years.

I dont despise anyone, I am sorry that you feel this way about people that came from your ancestor's country. I am not pining for it, just pining for a quieter quality of life.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Go to France, or better yet...Tuscany! Immerse yourself in the local visual, musical and culinary arts of the area.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:39 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
My godly grandmother came from Ireland. If you asked her if she ever wanted to go back to that &$^hole or anywhere in Europe she would have hit you upside your head.

A lot of people I know came from Long Island. If you asked them, if they ever wanted to go back to that Moderator cut: language removed or anywhere in Downstate New York, they would hit you upside the head.

I have a lot of respect for people who can see a situation isn't what it used to be and bail.

Have fun going down with the ship.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-16-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
I think Long Island is in that zone where it's not new enough to be all sparkly and it's not old enough yet to have charm. Imagine a day in the future where we're all living in 100% carbon fiber robo-domes and we are nostalgic for the old world charm of a 1960's split ranch with a flushing toilet bowl.
So true... WRIC (WOULD REP IF COULD!!)

Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,835 times
Quote:

As an immigrant, I should take offense to this. But I don't, because I am not offended by people who hate parents dining out with kids, hates legal immigrants, but has no problem paying illegal immigrants to shovel the driveway.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
I'm not sure that mid-60's hi-ranches are ever going to be viewed as having "charm". Nobody really thinks New England triple decker houses have charm, they're just ugly things that were thrown up to house workers.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,342,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Is it me or is Long island getting very run down looking. No matter where you go,there are for rent, for sale signs everywhere. Property values are down, many people are trying to keep their heads above water but everyone seems jaded and angry.

I know I am planning on leaving next year. After 25 years here, its been good to me. But in the past few years it seems as if the quality of life just isnt here for me anymore.

Taxes have gone up, insurance costs have gone up, we are getting less and less for our dollar. There is only so much a middle class family can take.

Simple answer: YES, it is you.
People who want to leave generally rationalize their decision any way they can. If you honestly believe LI is somehow unique and a money sucking dark cloud has desended upon us all I can say is "Enjoy France".

Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not sure that mid-60's hi-ranches are ever going to be viewed as having "charm". Nobody really thinks New England triple decker houses have charm, they're just ugly things that were thrown up to house workers.

I'm one of those oddballs who likes triple deckers.

I think most people associate the more rundown, tenement looking ones which haven't been maintained when they hear triple decker.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm one of those oddballs who likes triple deckers.

I think most people associate the more rundown, tenement looking ones which haven't been maintained when they hear triple decker.
I love those. Love the character of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island