Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I used to LOVE Slipped Disc, and drove out there from Suffolk county on a regular basis. Too bad they are closed....and I feel bad that I am part of the problem. I buy pretty much everything on iTunes or Amazon now. No point in buying a whole CD if you don't like all the songs, the CDs take up space (especially when you have 600+ of them!) and you can't beat the convenience of getting your music immediately right from your iPod. The times have really changed. Used to love Tower Records too....RIP.
Me too.

Looks like they have a decent online presence now.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It's not supposed to be a perfect or exact analysis, but I do strongly believe that the changing economics have brought the illegals here and have led to the downfall of many towns and the overall quality of life.
Many towns which have had alot of knockdowns with new McMansions have become new enclaves for the wealthy. The whole Rt.347 corridor into Miller Place is a great example, used to be more blue collar and less population. Now it's heavily congested with new developments of McMansions everywhere, and the new construction and landscaping jobs bring day laborers. And dont forget the Hawkins ave corridor, McMansions everywhere after turning south from Rt.25! Lake Grove is now full of more North Face wearing, Starbucks drinking, Range Rover driving yuppies.
Go to areas without many McMansions that are more blue collar like many communities in Ocean County,NJ. There's only really one ghetto area there and that's Lakewood, which is further north near the wealth in Manalapan (Monmouth Cty), which has seem a huge building boom of McMansions.
That's why I've been doing my trips to Ocean instead these days as it's the only escape to the annoying place LI is becoming.
A walk through downtown Toms River is refreshing with no men hanging out and all the signs in English.
Stronger Pinelands laws prohibit mass developments like that have destroyed much LI's forests. There are some McMansion developments in Berkeley Township and Barnegat, but they are more sparse than ours.
Allright! Love the Lake Grove shout-out, didn't know it was so high class over here! In all seriousness, it is a real mixed area - all sorts of housing ranging from the inexpensive to 600k+ homes. Not truly high end, but still pretty nice. It's a place where any income could buy something - which I think is a good thing.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Allright! Love the Lake Grove shout-out, didn't know it was so high class over here! In all seriousness, it is a real mixed area - all sorts of housing ranging from the inexpensive to 600k+ homes. Not truly high end, but still pretty nice. It's a place where any income could buy something - which I think is a good thing.
I agree, I think Lake Grove and Nesconset have remained fairly right sized.

Theres some pockets of the Village that have been McMansioned to death but theres also some Levit stock and olds LG by the mall.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why do you and JIW assume that Baldwin and Valley Stream are the "Twin Cities" of Nassau County? How is that even logical?
There are significant areas of town that are run down. Part of Valley Stream is run down, by the train station, mall, and Merrick Rd. I will say Grand Ave in Baldwin looks worse than anywhere in Valley Stream. The parts of VS that are worse aren't in the village, but I think we'd need Walter for the fine details.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
His thought that every brown person is an illegal shows the lack of common sense. That in itself pretty much is enough to disregard all of his "investigating" as pretty much biased bs. Not to mention the idea that an area caters to more of an International mix with its shops, restaurants, etc doesn't make the area ghetto either.

As far as Grand Avenue area, its one very small section of Baldwin. It surely isn't indicative as Baldwin as a whole, as JIW tried to portray in that video. Not to mention just not looking very nice does not = ghetto. Much like some stretches of Hempstead Turnpike, the area itself might look kind of ugly, but the area itself is fine and isn't a ghetto.
Always taking it out of context. I see white, black, brown, yellow people all who speak english and wear regular clothes everyday. The illegals I refer to wear dirty clothes, backpacks, and loiter around. Many just happen to have brown skin, but I just see their behavior.
Where do I mention race? I just see a bunch of people that have no respect for our laws and loiter on the streets like they own them and show no desire to become Americans. Has nothing to do with their skin and everything to do with their attitude.
I'm sick of ppl like you trying to turn it into a racial thing! I dont care from where you come from or what you look like but when you come to America you have adapt. These people dont adapt, they take over.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Always taking it out of context. I see white, black, brown, yellow people all who speak english and wear regular clothes everyday. The illegals I refer to wear dirty clothes, backpacks, and loiter around. Many just happen to have brown skin, but I just see their behavior.
Where do I mention race? I just see a bunch of people that have no respect for our laws and loiter on the streets like they own them and show no desire to become Americans. Has nothing to do with their skin and everything to do with their attitude.
I'm sick of ppl like you trying to turn it into a racial thing! I dont care from where you come from or what you look like but when you come to America you have adapt. These people dont adapt, they take over.
I have seen people of all races wearing dirty clothes. Have you ever seen a Construction Worker??

Seriously, we know with you its all about the people with brown skin, or those who happen to not speak English. Not speaking English doesn't mean they are illegal either.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM

40 posts, read 124,639 times
John in Westbury has no idea what he is talking about. Valley Stream is NOT ghetto. Demographically the village has changed over the past 15 years, but socioeconomically it has not. The median household income is in the 90 - 100K a year range and is on par with any middle class area of Nassau County. Drive around VS and the neighborhoods are well kept and clean. The only exception are the areas bordering Rosedale along Hook Creek Boulevard and that area has always looked like that since I was a kid in the 1980s. The Village of VS has a very strict code enforcement and I think that's part of the reason the Village has stayed so nice.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Thread is closed.

There is a forum for these kinds of posts, John, as I have told you several times.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Regarding the video, there is too much of this code word of illegal being used for minorities, especially Hispanics. But it should be obvious that most minorities are not illegal.

Also, in order to prove his point, the video exaggerates the rise and decline of certain neighborhoods too much. For instance, the areas north of Smithtown like Head of the Harbor, Nissequogue, Old Field and Fort Salonga did not become "rich" only in the last 15 years. They have been wealthy for a long time.

At the same time, places like Elmont and Uniondale did not suddenly go downhill overnight. Maybe they were better 15 years ago, but the handwriting was already on the wall.

The one thing I agree with the maker of the video is that certain communities, usually the older ones, become the home of poorer people looking for work in the surrounding areas. Some of them are in fact illegal and this is what happens when you are looking for cheap labor. But that does not mean they all are illegal.

Keep in mind that a hundred years ago, it was the poor Italians not the Hispanics who were moving into certain towns on Long Island. Before them it was the Irish. And they were all looked down upon and blamed for ruining the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island