Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The account related in the blog post at the beginning of this thread seemed grossly exaggerated and cheesily overdramatized.

For example, I really DOUBT any deputy meeting/arresting her for the first time is going to go on and on calling her a "teabagger" and threatening her for being one. Come on! What the heck would he know about her and what the heck would he care?
I agree. I'm a proud Conservative and a gun owner, and I hate when people who wave their conservative flag do stuff like this. I think this woman used incredibly bad judgement (I'm being nice and won't say what I really think she did), and wish other conservatives wouldn't be so quick to rally at Glen Becks call around these kind of events.

What I meant by the kind of LE she was dealing with was local LE that was fed up with her hijinks. The cop that called it in was off duty and recognized her so there must have been some previous contact with the good woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 01:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I agree. I'm a proud Conservative and a gun owner, and I hate when people who wave their conservative flag do stuff like this. I think this woman used incredibly bad judgement (I'm being nice and won't say what I really think she did), and wish other conservatives wouldn't be so quick to rally at Glen Becks call around these kind of events.

What I meant by the kind of LE she was dealing with was local LE that was fed up with her hijinks. The cop that called it in was off duty and recognized her so there must have been some previous contact with the good woman.
If there was a shread of ability to fight that she was actually breaking laws the charges wouldn't be dropped and the town would have responded to the lawsuit. You personally may not like it, but I personally do not like a lot of things, I'm not OK with people being arrested for it.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 PM

290 posts, read 583,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
If there was a shread of ability to fight that she was actually breaking laws the charges wouldn't be dropped and the town would have responded to the lawsuit. You personally may not like it, but I personally do not like a lot of things, I'm not OK with people being arrested for it.
The town is "not fighting" it due to the Town attorney having two family deaths around the time of the filing deadline. Not an excuse, but certainly an explanation, no?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 PM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
This whole thing is just ridiculous. $13,000 in pocket book; gun and ammunition; bull crap.... Who the heck in this day and age walks around with so much cash AND coming from the shooting range (if that's true). You write a check for tuition... Lock her ass up and throw away the key....wasting peoples damn time with all this garbage. You all are just as bad feeding in it... She looks like a damn crackhead...now there's a thought!!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
The town is "not fighting" it due to the Town attorney having two family deaths around the time of the filing deadline. Not an excuse, but certainly an explanation, no?
Township had 60 days to respond to the suit. It took 6 months for the response to be filed. Sorry, too late. Plus all charges were dropped, not too much of a leg to stand on.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
So the local LE mishandled someone who showed very bad judgement and who gets to foot the bill if she wins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XdrbNnZsCU

Quote:
You personally may not like it, but I personally do not like a lot of things, I'm not OK with people being arrested for it.
Fine, but I'll let you chase after and clean up after every idiot that runs around this country without a clue as to how not to get into trouble with the law.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM

290 posts, read 583,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Township had 60 days to respond to the suit. It took 6 months for the response to be filed. Sorry, too late. Plus all charges were dropped, not too much of a leg to stand on.
Sure there is...Charges get dropped all the time, either due to the "interests of Justice" [such as the unlikelihood of recidivism, or clean records]. the low probability of conviction, to victims & witnesses refusing to cooperate.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 PM

6 posts, read 10,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
Sure there is...Charges get dropped all the time, either due to the "interests of Justice" [such as the unlikelihood of recidivism, or clean records]. the low probability of conviction, to victims & witnesses refusing to cooperate.
Which one of the circumstances you mentioned is relevant to the Nancy Genovese case?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember_When? View Post
Which one of the circumstances you mentioned is relevant to the Nancy Genovese case?
probably because she is just a person with a severe mental disorder.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So the local LE mishandled someone who showed very bad judgement and who gets to foot the bill if she wins?
WOW - After watching that video, I kinda hope she wins her default judgment just to spite these morons. Holy crap... what do these people think they're doing? Playing house? Cuz that's what it looked like. There was ONE MAN seated at that table who sounded like he had any clue what he was talking about, the rest seemed more concerned not with fixing the problem - or figuring out how it happened - but shifting the blame away from themselves.

This whole thing seems very confusing to me. Well, first off - lemme just mention that I think this woman is a complete NUT and the world would probably be a safer place if she was committed to a mental institution... however from what I can tell, the only thing she seems to have been charged with is trespassing and some other mysterious "disorderly conduct" type charge that isn't listed for being combative once in custody? Please, don't think I'm defending her as a person, her politics or whatever the hell her agenda is (I'm really not even sure) - but it would seem to me that if she had actually been trespassing, wouldn't it have been within the ANG's authority to detain her and not the Town of Southampton PD? Perhaps that's why the charges have been dropped? If she was actually somewhere on the alleged "military installation" that she shouldn't have been, why were Town police officers detaining her at all?

For all the talk about guns and picture taking, it seems like that has never even entered into this from a legal standpoint. Her schuyster lawyer and bogus theft/harassment claims WOULD be frivolous nonsense - IF Town of Southampton hadn't completely dropped the ball and failed to respond to official legal proceedings, putting themselves at major risk. It appears the whole thing is now in the hands of a federal judge deciding whether or not ToS' claim of not being able to reply to a "final notice" type thing hinges on their additionally late response in filing some kind of bereavement paperwork for the town attorney - who, as Wallone points out in that video, certainly did not need to attend the proceedings since they have other qualified people on staff to handle such a simple thing. That is mind blowing... how the hell does something like this even happen? If the judge decides ToS has had more than their fair chance to respond and has shown complete negligence (which seems like a very real possibility) - Nancy Genovese is awarded the full amount - $70 million, no ifs ands or buts about it.

As someone pointed out in the video - that's more than the entire yearly budget of the Town of Southampton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island