Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM

253 posts, read 808,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They(Nassau gov) are prepping for a county(not school)tax increase.
Thanks for the info. I'm no longer looking in Long Island. I have focused my search to Rockland & Orange (not that the taxes there are any better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There seems to be a weird tipping point where it's like being Christian living in the south is being equated with being a devil worshipper, LOL.
This does seem to be true and I don't understand it at all. I can think of alot more undesirable types of people to live amongst than so-called 'overly religious' people.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There is defintely more religion "out in the open" down here than there is in NY. For instance, the local paper lists houses of worship and the times of services. I listen to a regular Top 40 station and they play Christian themed music pop music on Sunday morning. People talk about their religion a lot more freely down here - it's not a deep dark secret if you're a religious person (we moved from Garden City, though, so this isn't a huge change for me, just about everyone there is Christian and you'll see everyone you know at church). Someone might say something like "so my pastor gave a really good sermon the other day..." I don't find that "in your face" but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You'll notice if you're out on a Sunday morning that around 11 a.m. the stores get really crowded with people dressed in their Sunday best, just coming from church. Reminds me of when I was a kid and we always had to dress up and then run errands when we got set free.

So yes - if you are atheist, I can see where you might be uncomfortable. But if you are a Christian who went to church regularly till you were 12 and you've started going again, I'm not really sure what's wrong with that??? If she did that still living on Long Island would there be an issue??? There seems to be a weird tipping point where it's like being Christian living in the south is being equated with being a devil worshipper, LOL.

If you aren't offended by organized religion, you won't really care at all. IF you have a HUGE problem with organized religion you probably wouldn't like it (usually these are raging liberals who think they are so open-minded, which always makes me laugh!)

And BTW there is a synagogue around the corner from my Catholic parish
It's good to hear that there are some "normal" areas in the South. Some of the comments from that link "The Bible Belt" | Facebook (//www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2212794397&topic=5486 - broken link) were really what I was talking about michael flower's 1st comment and Sean Kerr's story on page 2...
snippet
Quote:
Sean Kerr
I actually go to a Southern Baptist college down here in the "Bible Belt" (Anderson SC). I live in Northern VA. the difference is amazing.
Down here, churches are like starbucks, theres at liest one on every corner so it seems. Mostly Baptist.
Do i get discriminated against for being Catholic at a Baptist University? Yes. Almost every day. I"ve been degraded by fellow students, by teachers, by speakers at manditory chapels...
I've already seen this in person, and have been told by family and friends that the further south you go, the more it's like this. I take it that the more "Baptist" an area, the worse it is for Catholics, atheists types and non-Baptists? I am not very religious, but a lot of this stuff I read and hear about is silly and disturbing at the same time.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
I remember while lurking here a few years ago everyone who lived on Long Island complained how high their property taxes were.

I was browsing some listings in Nassau & Suffolk for a 3BR / 2BA house in a good school district and saw many great houses where the taxes were between $6K to $7.5K.

Comparing that to Rockland or Westchester.............taxes are between $9K to $11K for a comparable house.

Maybe I should re-consider Long Island in my house search.

P.S. Now I know they are still sky high in places like Great Neck, Cold Spring Harbor & Manhasset.
Your kidding right???? taxes on LI go down???

Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
The township of Huntington could see a big increase if LIPA wins its current law suit and Northport/East Northport school taxes might more than double for the same reason.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It's really a lot worse than people think in some parts of the south.

Ignorant BigMike? read this> "The Bible Belt" | Facebook (//www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2212794397&topic=5486 - broken link)

How we got the Bible Belt
The fix for this is, don't move to an area that is like this. It is not hard.

I live in the Charlotte area and with regards to religion, to me there is no difference than when I was on LI. I haven't had any neighbor or coworker ever ask me where I go to church or try and recruit me to go to theirs.

Same with the radio stations, execpt they thankfully have no obsession with Jethro Tull (Is it in WBAB's license agreement that they have to play "Aqua Lung" several times a day?) The ones I have preset (rock) in my cars play the "Acostic Storm" or a "This week in rock" type show on Sunday mornings. If they play any religious music, it must be Sundays before I wake up. But as I remember, even WBAB has a Sunday morning religous show Religion and Rock, where Father Jim plays rock songs and relates them to religous and life lessons.

As far as towns being shutdown on Sundays, this problably happens in some of the more rual areas. Most of the shops and stores in the towns in my area hold similar hours to the shops and stores on LI.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
There are a lot of churches around here. Like I said - my religion or lack thereof has not really come up in any conversation. If someone says to me "My pastor gave an interesting sermon the other day" (an example I cited earlier in my other post) I am free to respond to what the pastor said as being interesting or not. I am also free to run screaming from the room because someone MENTIONED THEIR PASTOR....OMG!!!!

There are places where I am sure religious discrimination takes place. There are plenty of places that are north of N.C. that are actually more "southern" in this regard. I don't think most northerners are in danger of moving somewhere and then being surprised by this attitude, because an intelligent person spends time in a place where they voluntarily move before actually moving there. Certainly you can get a vibe from a place when you visit, especially if you are planning a move and paying from attention to everyday interactions.

My DH attended a Baptist college in the south more than 30 years ago. I don't think he felt discriminated against. Again, I'm curious how a person ends up at such a blatantly discriminatory place as the previously mentioned Catholic-at-a-Baptist-college. Did he not do any research? DId he just get dropped at the campus, sight unseen, 3 months after his HS graduation? DId he get a free ride and just figure he could stick it out (or maybe the parents made him take it?)

Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
The township of Huntington could see a big increase if LIPA wins its current law suit and Northport/East Northport school taxes might more than double for the same reason.
But that should mean lower LIPA bills for the rest of LI, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They(Nassau gov) are prepping for a county(not school)tax increase.
I'll believe it when I see it. If they wanted to they could have just kept the home-energy tax or the 3.9% planned prop tax increase, but they didn't. This admin is running on Tax-revolt party line, no tax increases coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
The fix for this is, don't move to an area that is like this. It is not hard.

As far as towns being shutdown on Sundays, this problably happens in some of the more rual areas. Most of the shops and stores in the towns in my area hold similar hours to the shops and stores on LI.
We got a little off-topic with this, but BigMike was claiming this happened 250 years ago and is non-existent in the south today.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
But that should mean lower LIPA bills for the rest of LI, no?

I'll believe it when I see it. If they wanted to they could have just kept the home-energy tax or the 3.9% planned prop tax increase, but they didn't. This admin is running on Tax-revolt party line, no tax increases coming.

We got a little off-topic with this, but BigMike was claiming this happened 250 years ago and is non-existent in the south today.

All I'm saying it doesn't exist where I live. I can't speak for the entire south but I can speak form my real life experiences. I don't get my information from some blogs but rather from my own experiences.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
All I'm saying it doesn't exist where I live. I can't speak for the entire south but I can speak form my real life experiences. I don't get my information from some blogs but rather from my own experiences.
You should reread the post, I just found the facebook discussion of REAL people's experiences to illustrate my point. Do you really think that everyone that holds the same opinion of the Bible-Belt based got all their information off this one facebook discussion?? Do you really believe that no one has been down South except for the people that currently live there?!?? Geez
//www.city-data.com/forum/18065649-post53.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island