Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,720,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Vittorios in Amityville is one of my favorites and there new place is pretty nice too.
I'll have to check it out. My favorite is Athena's on Merrick rd., a hidden gem. They're renovating the outside but it's really nice & cozy place, food is A+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,230,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I'll have to check it out. My favorite is Athena's on Merrick rd., a hidden gem. They're renovating the outside but it's really nice & cozy place, food is A+.
Funny you mention that. I had takeout form there a few weeks ago and it was great. Deifnitely try Vittorios, great food and service, in the village.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,564,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I don't keep track of people,s religions but one of two temples on jerusalemm ave has closed and the kosher deli turned into a pizzeria. I honestly think most Jews haves moved from massapequa and masapequa park
The temples consolidated with others as enrollments declined across LI. I don't believe it is specific to the Massapequa area.

The guys who owned Miljay's have to be in their late 70's by now -- I can see why they would have closed -- if that's the Kosher deli you're referring to.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,564,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silyss08 View Post
Which temples have closed?

Congregation Beth-El (conservative) is still open and located at 99 Jerusalem Ave in Massapequa.

About Us | Congregation Beth-El

Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 PM

74 posts, read 306,234 times
Thanks to all!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,675,146 times
Not that this is really indicative of the jewish population of the masapequas but there very few Menorahs in windows during the holidays and ,on significant Jewish holidays, the commuter lots are no less crowded. think if you want a more Jewish area look into bell more.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,562,086 times
silyss08, it might be best to check with one of the local synagogues for their advice on how many and what type (denomination) of Jews are in the greater Massapequa area.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

For example, Congregation Beth-El (conservative) located at 99 Jerusalem Avenue is in North Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address).

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Not that this is really indicative of the jewish population of the masapequas but there very few Menorahs in windows during the holidays and ,on significant Jewish holidays, the commuter lots are no less crowded. think if you want a more Jewish area look into bell more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I have lived in Massapequa Park for 7 years and have been very happy with it. The Matzoh-Pizza thing never made much sense as I don't see tons of Jewish people here but there are definietly some. I don't live too far from Amityville and I see no problems at all.
I'd probably agree with both of these comments. If I had to make a guess, I'd say Mass Park is likely 1%-2% Jewish. Massapequa hamlet and south of Merrick Rd <5%. I don't think that means your kids won't fit into the area, it's diverse. Walter's suggestion may be the best way to find out, let us know if you contact one of the local synagogues.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM

22,106 posts, read 19,315,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I'd probably agree with both of these comments. If I had to make a guess, I'd say Mass Park is likely 1%-2% Jewish. Massapequa hamlet and south of Merrick Rd <5%. I don't think that means your kids won't fit into the area, it's diverse. Walter's suggestion may be the best way to find out, let us know if you contact one of the local synagogues.
Its easily higher than 1-2%, probably closer to 10% or so, with maybe 15% or so in the areas of Massapequa south of Merrick Road.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its easily higher than 1-2%, probably closer to 10% or so, with maybe 15% or so in the areas of Massapequa south of Merrick Road.
Impossible to know for sure, that's why we're both guessing. I do know that most sources I've seen (including C-D) state about 68-70% Catholic with the remaining religions spread out around 1-5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island