Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
A bajillion dollars.
All-in, aye? I'll have to check under the mattress.

I was mainly replying to CoolaTroopa's post but forgot to quote him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
The Hicksville school system isn't terrible either. It's a lot better than many of the surrounding districts with similar incomes [East Meadow, Levittown, Westbury] but it ain't Syosset.
Hicksville, according to test scores and other metrics, is not a better district than any of the neighboring districts, except Westbury SD.

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Nassau (broken link)

side note: I am not afraid of foreigners moving in or of Indians. Also, it's Indians, Hispanics and I'm sure a lot of Pakistanis that are the growing demographic in Hicksville, while the white population is declining rapidly. This is not necessarily a bad thing, these are some of the brightest and most peaceful people in the world, but I'm just stating the facts of the area and the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM

264 posts, read 877,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
All-in, aye? I'll have to check under the mattress.

I was mainly replying to CoolaTroopa's post but forgot to quote him:

Hicksville, according to test scores and other metrics, is not a better district than any of the neighboring districts, except Westbury SD.

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Nassau (broken link)

side note: I am not afraid of foreigners moving in or of Indians. Also, it's Indians, Hispanics and I'm sure a lot of Pakistanis that are the growing demographic in Hicksville, while the white population is declining rapidly. This is not necessarily a bad thing, these are some of the brightest and most peaceful people in the world, but I'm just stating the facts of the area and the schools.
Hmm..duly noted from the test scores.
In Levittown, Macarthur seems to do a lot better than Hicksville and Division Avenue.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,111 times
Default Hicksville

I moved to Hicksville 21 years ago. My 4 children have been thru the school system the last finishing up a year and a half ago. My wife works in the local library and I work as a contractor. We have also invested in rental housing in Hicksville.
The area has certanly changed inb the last 20 years butis still a safe area. When it is warm out we walk to the neigbohood store and also walk and ride the local streets for exercise. No problems
The area has changed over the last 20 years. Alot of old people are moving out or dying. The biggest influx seems to be "INDIAN" with the second biggest being "CITY PEOPLE". More and more people are moving out from the city and commute to it for work.
The schools were good when my children were in it. The biggest think is to be involved with your children.
Would I move here again? Don't think I could afford to rebuy my existing house in todays economy.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,600 times
I have a female friend who has lived in walking distance of the Hicksville LIRR station and has never had a problem. She's lived there for 8 years and always walks home alone, sometimes very late at night, with absolutely no issues. Hicksville is a pretty safe neighborhood although it does have a slight "industrial" look to it. Excellent Indian food too!!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,152 times
Default We live by east street school which is North Hicksville/ Hillside Terrace area

We love the school and the area is safe with many middle class to upper middle class. The area you mentioned by Fork lane is OK but there are alot of rentals. The area by Dutch lane is good but the East street school is far better. You have the best shopping just blocks away and shoprite has wonderful buys all week long.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM

322 posts, read 937,146 times
I rented in Hicksville for almost 3 years. I liked the area in terms of shops, restaurants, and location ( I lived off of Woodbury Rd between South Oyster Bay Rd. and Sears). I work on the island but it was a 10 minute walk to the LIRR when I wanted to hit NYC.
The only thing I hate (and still do) about the area is the stretch of rte 106/107 between old country rd and jericho turnpike. Talk about a commuter's nightmare. Sometimes it would take almost 15 minutes to travel less than a mile. And the mere 100 feet between the LIE and Northern State exits? At least 3 times a week the cops are there handling major accidents or fender benders. Thankfully, when I discovered there were parkway exits on South Oyster Bay Rd heading towards Syosset, my commute time almost cut in half.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 35,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbella View Post
We love the school and the area is safe with many middle class to upper middle class. The area you mentioned by Fork lane is OK but there are alot of rentals. The area by Dutch lane is good but the East street school is far better. You have the best shopping just blocks away and shoprite has wonderful buys all week long.
If there are multiple elementary schools within a school district, who decides which elementary a child can go to? Can I choose which elementary school to send my kid.......or does it depend on where my house is located?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravipatelny View Post
If there are multiple elementary schools within a school district, who decides which elementary a child can go to? Can I choose which elementary school to send my kid.......or does it depend on where my house is located?
It depends on where your house is located.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM

10 posts, read 35,137 times
Thanx!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

The thing I dislike the most about Hicksville is its NAME. Hicksville. What a stupid name.
It's not a stupid name since Valentine Hicks was an early settler there and the community was named for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island