Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 PM

633 posts, read 952,568 times

Advertisements

OK, I've been on the LI board long enough to know that property/school taxes here are out of control. However, doing a quick glance at the taxes in Westchester leads me to believe that they're about as bad. So what I want to know is, are the taxes on LI higher (compared to Westchester), is there more waste on LI, or do Long Islanders just complain about it more? (My gut tells me that "D. All of the above" is going to be the likely answer....)

Does anyone know what the Westchester taxes cover? It seems like they get more land up there, so maybe that accounts for the similar taxes - more bang for the buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 AM

22,102 posts, read 19,306,500 times
I believe Westchester taxes are slightly higher than Long Island's. As far as land goes, I would say its quite similar to LI. Outside of some of the exclusive areas you need to get a bit further away from the city in order to get more land. Northern Westchester is much like Central Suffolk in that regard, though generally more higher end.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM

56,830 posts, read 25,771,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
OK, I've been on the LI board long enough to know that property/school taxes here are out of control. However, doing a quick glance at the taxes in Westchester leads me to believe that they're about as bad. So what I want to know is, are the taxes on LI higher (compared to Westchester), is there more waste on LI, or do Long Islanders just complain about it more? (My gut tells me that "D. All of the above" is going to be the likely answer....)

Does anyone know what the Westchester taxes cover? It seems like they get more land up there, so maybe that accounts for the similar taxes - more bang for the buck?
Nassau has slightly higher real estate taxes than Westchester probably because they have a huge tax base with companies like IBM and now OSI. The top 3 counties are in NJ, Westchester is 5, Nassau 4, Suffolk 11.

Also sales tax for Westchester is 7.375% Nassau and Suffolk are 8.625%.

Table: Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Forbes.com

Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 AM

405 posts, read 1,159,976 times
NO...NO...NO...
LONG ISLAND IS THE WORST...NO PLACE IS AS BAD AS US

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA, LA, LA..I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM

If Westchester taxes are just as high, then I guess the follow up question is - why do people on Long Island complain more? (At least on forums such as this)

I'm still not clear if its because LI does pay more to things that can easily be complained about (Police and teacher salaries), as opposed to whatever it is that causes Westchester's taxes to be high.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Those in Westchester have welcomed development, private industry and have seen major developments to their tax base because of it.

They have apartments in middle and upper Westchester without chaos having broken out there.

As a whole they have a great disparity between their lower class, and upper class- and far less middle class bickering.

The majority of people from this LI forum are not from Port Washington, Great Neck, Sea Cliff, Manhasset, Oyster Bay or Roosevelt, Wyandanch, Uniondale... the ones who are at peace with their situations and what is going on around them.

Most Long Islanders are constantly finding themselves priced out of the Middle Class, and downright upset about it- lashing out to anyone who makes more than them, paid on their dollar.

Long Islanders suffer from worse traffic and a slower, more expensive per-mile-traveled rail system.

Westchester Teachers are on average, paid more than Long Island Teachers.
Police, however, are paid more in Nassau/Suffolk.

I will tell you however, that Weschester Students in their schools are more than twice as likely to go away to a college more than 50 miles away from their home.

Perhaps teenagers themselves are the cause for all complaints.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the insight grant516. The point about there being more middle class people on LI does make a lot of sense.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
If Westchester taxes are just as high, then I guess the follow up question is - why do people on Long Island complain more? (At least on forums such as this)

I'm still not clear if its because LI does pay more to things that can easily be complained about (Police and teacher salaries), as opposed to whatever it is that causes Westchester's taxes to be high.

I am not sure they don't get more complaints but they are a wealthier county and they do seem to get more for what they spend. It just doesn't seem that we get as much in Nassau for what we pay.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM

22,102 posts, read 19,306,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am not sure they don't get more complaints but they are a wealthier county and they do seem to get more for what they spend. It just doesn't seem that we get as much in Nassau for what we pay.
Not sure if I would say they are a wealthier county, they seem to have more of a mixed bag and more extremes than Nassau. For example mean income and per capita income are higher in Westchester than Nassau, but median incomes are higher in Nassau than Westchester. Poverty levels are also higher in Westchester than Nassau. More households and families have incomes in excess of $200,000 in Westchester than Nassau, but more households and families have incomes under $50,000 in Westchester than in Nassau.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not sure if I would say they are a wealthier county, they seem to have more of a mixed bag and more extremes than Nassau. For example mean income and per capita income are higher in Westchester than Nassau, but median incomes are higher in Nassau than Westchester. Poverty levels are also higher in Westchester than Nassau. More households and families have incomes in excess of $200,000 in Westchester than Nassau, but more households and families have incomes under $50,000 in Westchester than in Nassau.

Just opinion but it appears that they get more for their dollar, it seems much of the money spent in Nassau ends up in the wrong places, aging buildings, sewage treatment plants, Nassau Coliseum, etc. Really many underlying reasons but no excuse in a county of this wealth, everything should be top of the line. Also Westchester makes do with 1.3% less sales tax, that is fairly significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island