Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Have you seen those apartments on Johnson Ave in Sayville? Yikes

However, I do love paying taxes so full grown adults can sit in a kiddie pool with a beer at 2pm in August on the sidewalk.

What!!??? Where? I'm in!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
With the added benefit of ghetto kids shipped in from the reservation in Mastic. Other then that, it's a great little town that's too far from the jobs in Nassau/NYC and not far enough to be considered part of The Hamptons.

Just wow.

What a typical, limited, Nassholian knuckle drag retort.

As described, Center Moriches is a great little town with plenty to offer.
Since Sunrise has been opened up, I wouldnt consider it prohibitively far to anything other than Manhattan on a daily basis.

Clearly you know nothing of the area. Center Moriches has nothing to do with the Tri Hams (Thats Moriches/WF Schools).

I feel bad for anyone from Nassau still clinging to a 1971 belief system.I certainly hope thats not whats keeping you on your postage stamp.Theres plenty of money and jobs in Suffolk County. East of 111 too. You know theres folks who live year round in East Hampton who arent exactly poor.(Perhaps youve heard of the internets?) Its amazing whats available job wise now. Many high level executives work remotely part of the week so proximity to NYC just isnt what it once was.

Remember half of the Sprawling Suffolkian McMansions were sprung from Mediocre Nassholian HiRanches.

Get over your self.

Crooks

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
Thank you crooks. People are really bubbled nowadays more than ever- And to whoever was talking about it - Railroad ave is obv the most shady area, and comparing a world known/popular town like sayville to a lesser known area that some people on LI dont even know about (center moriches) is a litte odd to me. Sayville is extremely famous due to it being the gateway to fire island, center doesnt even have a train station anymore lol. Yes the apartments on johnson ave in sayville are an eyesore, but there has to be a down side of every town. All and all center moriches and sayville are my 2 favorite towns/hamlets on the Island. /end rant.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Comment withdrawn. Those are some really tacky apartments.

Yeah...is there a decent Railroad Avenue anywhere?
Define decent.

Out here in Staten Island, there is a Railroad Avenue on the South Shore, and it is one of the safest areas on Staten Island (not that there are any really dangerous areas out here anyway)

Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 AM

172 posts, read 292,955 times
I do like Center Moriches a lot. From doing some house searches there I found that depending on the location, the schools were either a pro or a con. Love the off the beaten path rural, relaxed feel. As far as jobs go, I believe though, the farther OUT you are on the island, unless you're a teacher, cop, or in the medical field, it's hard to find good paying work.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
What's up with the group home in the middle of one of the newer developments (Dockside). I almost bought a house there and when driving around one night, a mad woman stepped in front of my car and would not get out of the way, I had to drive around her. No joke! Don't know if she was from the group home or not, but I ran away from Center Moriches real fast after that!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM

96 posts, read 187,064 times
Lived in CM when I was young and went to primary school there.

1. Railroad Ave was once a grand boulevard lined with nice Victorian homes and was the gateway to the wealthy summer colony on the Avenues toward the bay, yacht club, grand hotels, etc. That was before WWI

2. It isn't just the Poospatuck reservation kids dragging down the school district, plenty of people in the district from all sides of town and all races contributing to the low scores. The schools were on austerity budgets in the 70s because of tax increases voted down repeatedly, split sessions, overcrowded classroom, many families bailed.

Problem was and is, it's a blue collar town, not a lets get into Harvard town, that went from rural to suburban real fast from about '55 to '65 and the older residents, particularly those with grown kids, just didn't want to pay all kinds of new taxes for schools. It's mostly new people and new generations now and they have the facilities they need, but they had become dependent on state aid and when that was cut recently, the faculty had to be cut.

Not incorporated and has seen lots of bad Brookhaven Town commercial and residential development, but has potential for some gentrification as points East go off the charts and summer buyers realize the value in waterfront properties + a semi-private ocean beach on Fire Island 5 minutes across the bay by small boat.

Incorporating and shaping up the main street retail would be a start, then maybe a small ferry to the ocean...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island