Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 AM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs Mkski View Post

Grant516, I added some rep to your post. Maybe one day if I see you on the block and say hello, you won't thumb your nose at me and mind your own business like the "typical, self-centered LI'er".

Good day sir. I! Said! Good! Day! Sir!

Now back to my regularly scheduled caffeine
I'd probably wave silently, and not say a thing.
I don't like to get involved too much with neighbors- but if I were having a party I'm sure I'd invite you over.

Ontop of that- I own a place, and rent a place, and neither are on Long Island. So don't worry too much about eccentric neighbors.

In any event- there's a double standard that comes in with this generalized LI mentality, and I can't in any way shape or form point any fingers with certainty on anyone here on this CD forum... here goes :

You (this is you in the royal sense, not you, got it?) want your block to be quiet and family oriented, but you don't want, and vehemently stand in the way of of building new high density apartments in the majority of Nassau or much of Suffolk for those who have no real pull to the family gig.

These people are going to live somewhere (though a huge amount will leave LI) but the majority of the population of LI seems to believe it shouldn't be in an illegal apartment, or in construction of new apartments, or here- in certain cases, even in a rented home.

Frankly if you ask me, I think anyone on here who has a kid over 20 living in their house, should be pretty ashamed of yourself as a parent and an enabler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM

25 posts, read 118,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
You (this is you in the royal sense, not you, got it?) want your block to be quiet and family oriented, but you don't want, and vehemently stand in the way of of building new high density apartments in the majority of Nassau or much of Suffolk for those who have no real pull to the family gig.
I (not me in the royal sense, but me, got it?) AGREE with building up other parts of LI for rentals, and I think most of the others in my community would agree with me and the way I presented my stance. I think the demographic you are referring to is the rich folks whose pockets are lined with politicians that control this island.

Quote:
Frankly if you ask me, I think anyone on here who has a kid over 20 living in their house, should be pretty ashamed of yourself as a parent and an enabler.
I agree with this but it serves to illustrate my point. Come to LI, raise the family and get the kids the hell out. Hopefully my kids will be off to college, living on campus, or get themselves an apartment in the city where they can learn how to live as I did, work their way up to where I am and buy a house in the 'burbs, starting the cycle over again. They shouldn't be on my block terrorizing the next generation of young middle class families, thus making me a hypocrite.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,229,343 times
Quote:
I (not me in the royal sense, but me, got it?) AGREE with building up other parts of LI for rentals, and I think most of the others in my community would agree with me and the way I presented my stance. I think the demographic you are referring to is the rich folks whose pockets are lined with politicians that control this island.

I agree with this but it serves to illustrate my point. Come to LI, raise the family and get the kids the hell out. Hopefully my kids will be off to college, living on campus, or get themselves an apartment in the city where they can learn how to live as I did, work their way up to where I am and buy a house in the 'burbs, starting the cycle over again. They shouldn't be on my block terrorizing the next generation of young middle class families, thus making me a hypocrite.
What would those "other parts" be?

How would you convince the homeowners in the "other parts of LI" to not partake in NIMBYism like you are doing?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What would those "other parts" be?

How would you convince the homeowners in the "other parts of LI" to not partake in NIMBYism like you are doing?

Stolen from Seanx4's post earlier in this thread...I agree with this:

The only thing that possibly could (and should, IMO) happen is that low-density commercial areas, downtown business districts, huge plots of wasteful junk like the Nassau Coliseum property, etc. could be redeveloped into more "urban-like" settings with mixed-use buildings. That's the absolute most efficient type of construction for tax purposes. Do that and loosen the completely unenforceable, silly restrictions on accessory apartments in certain areas - which do absolutely nothing to accomplish their intended purpose (as we have seen with the huge number of illegal apartments) and I think it would go quite a long way towards fixing a lot of Long Island's problems.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
The only thing that possibly could (and should, IMO) happen is that low-density commercial areas, downtown business districts, huge plots of wasteful junk like the Nassau Coliseum property, etc. could be redeveloped into more "urban-like" settings with mixed-use buildings. That's the absolute most efficient type of construction for tax purposes. Do that and loosen the completely unenforceable, silly restrictions on accessory apartments in certain areas - which do absolutely nothing to accomplish their intended purpose (as we have seen with the huge number of illegal apartments) and I think it would go quite a long way towards fixing a lot of Long Island's problems.
If only someone were to come up with some kind of plan... one that would create a wide variety of housing and mixed-use buildings in the bland area of the Nassau Coliseum.

... I think we may be on to something.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,687,208 times
Quote:
Stolen from Seanx4's post earlier in this thread...I agree with this:

The only thing that possibly could (and should, IMO) happen is that low-density commercial areas, downtown business districts, huge plots of wasteful junk like the Nassau Coliseum property, etc. could be redeveloped into more "urban-like" settings with mixed-use buildings.
Just what Long Island needs..more of an URBAN feel.

Good Grief....why don't we just elect Bloomberg Mayor of the entire island and just become part of NYC.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,737,785 times
Does anyone know the status of the Pilgrim State project?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
If only someone were to come up with some kind of plan... one that would create a wide variety of housing and mixed-use buildings in the bland area of the Nassau Coliseum.

... I think we may be on to something.
Uh yup...kinda alluded to that earlier in the thread.

The team finally seems to be turning the corner. Maybe someone can help Wang keep them here.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,241,118 times
Quote:
Simply put, renters are a different class of people. And that's not the class measured on a tier, like say, upper or lower, it's more like a young single skirt-chasing pothead is in a rental class and a 30 something family guy is in an owner's class. Does that make sense? You don't want me when I was in my 20s around your daughters...hell I don't want that.
Yep. We're in different classes, all right.

I was never capable of being a pot-smoking, drug-addled, inconsiderate pervert with the audacity to presume everyone else who rents an apartment is also a pot-smoking, drug-addled, inconsiderate pervert.

Oh, and look, I can't be bothered to buy a home, either! Gee, those dang white-collar, 40-something, college-educated, clean-living, kid-free women, always getting in the way of a good session of homeowner ego masturbation.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 AM

330 posts, read 724,032 times
What about pot smoking home owners? What class are they in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island