Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM

6 posts, read 8,942 times

Advertisements

I've been reading some (really helpful) posts re: E. Setauket areas that are affordable yet marginal. I've pretty much crossed that entire Norville (?) plume area off my list (as I understand it the area south of Sheeps Meadow, North of 347 bordered by Old Town & Pond Path).

The "S" section that everyone recommends seems to be out of my price range.

There are several little houses in Critter section (specifically 2 on Lynx near the bike trail) - they seem decent (although you can see some that are falling apart/roofs caving in, etc.). They are also affordable. I like the idea of being near the bike trail, close to SB (where I work), 3V schools, etc.

The old posts have been helpful but any new thoughts on this area, Crooks said at one point that it was "prime for gentrification" and a good investment, that was a year ago.... do you guys think it's going up or down hill?

It seems like a good investment b/c of proximity to the Univ. one could always rent?

Currently living in Port Jeff (renting) but can't seem to afford to buy anything here. Love the schools and the area but can't find a place big enough (need 3-4 bedrooms) for under 350. Critter section is looking like 275K, pretty perfect price, location is so close to work, schools good.

What am I missing? Any toxic waste sites nearby I don't know about?

Thoughts? Thanks for your insight, new to the area and still learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
A lot of farily run down former student rentals, some power lines running nearby, the mushroom houses are pretty small inside. Basically the area is viewed by the kids in Three Village as the "ghetto" of the district. I lived in some of those houses and went to a lot of parties in others in by Stony Brook days..some of them were pretty nasty back in the 90's.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
I believe you've pretty much summed up the area well from what you've read in other posts.
Mushroom/Critter will be the affordable area in the 3V. Currently there are some foreclosures in that area and there are some rentals, so keep an eye open when you look -- you don't want to find you're next door to an undergrad college rental group.

Lynx is also a cut through between Old Town and Pasture.

I have a question concerning the bike path, as odd as that may sound. They are working on the leg which will run from Setauket and connect it to upper Port near the vicinity of 112 & 25A/Hallock Rd. The question will be -- who wil be using the path when it is completed and will we have to concern ourselves with any potential problems from some of the unstable types who hang around that area in upper Port?

One other thing to consider is Bobcat lane which backs an industrial park -- the back section houses a masonry supply company. During the day 6 days a week you'll here machinery and noise.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Do your due diligence.Yea its run down but its not Compton.
I like the new bike path.

Check S Setuaket too.Now that prices are down across the board you may have more options in 3V

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-07-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Adding to Crook's suggestion: Just be certain what school district a So Setauket house is zoned for.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 8,942 times
Thanks so much, I like the bike path too although I've never been on it. I'm going to look at a Critter Mushroom house tomorrow and also one on the other side of Nicolls (Oxhead). I will look at S. Set. and am still keeping my eyes on the "S" section, maybe prices will drop a little more.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,073 times
What the heck is a "mushroom house"?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
They are the little high ranches that are in a tiny East Setauket neighborhood. Bobcat, Ringneck Lanes and all. My Dad had bought my son and me one of them around 38 years ago because he wanted my son to live in the Three Village district . I think they were about $25,000 or something. I have not been back there in decades, though.

We planted a tiny tree that made it through a hurricane. If you go, say hello to Hercules. I'll bet he is really tall now .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-07-2011 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahay2010 View Post
Thanks so much, I like the bike path too although I've never been on it. I'm going to look at a Critter Mushroom house tomorrow and also one on the other side of Nicolls (Oxhead). I will look at S. Set. and am still keeping my eyes on the "S" section, maybe prices will drop a little more.
IMO best value play in 3V.

South Setauket Park(aka Centereach)

Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
They are the little high ranches that are in a tiny East Setauket neighborhood. Bobcat, Ringneck Lanes and all. My Dad had bought my son and me one of them around 38 years ago because he wanted my son to live in the Three Village district . I think they were about $25,000 or something. I have not been back there in decades, though.

They have mushroom houses in a small part of St. James as well. When you look at the area(s) on googlemaps, they really do look like a bunch of angular mushrooms ... and they are small.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-07-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island