Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Because she didn't have to in order to get her particular job. Apparently there was no 33 credit requirement for her or she wouldn't have been given the job, would she?

Looks like it wasn't required of her.

Would you personally turn down a job you wanted that required a degree you didn't have even if the employer was willing to give you the job without the degree?

Would you say, "Oh NO, I must finish the educational requirements first! Go ahead and skip over me and give the job I want to someone else"?
State law requires 3 years of teaching experience, a 15 week (unpaid) internship, hold a masters degree, and to complete a program in educational leadership (the last two can be combined)- in order to receive a 5 year certificate in school district leadership.

The state chancellor of education, said that this particular instance could be waived because of the recommendation of the mayor of New York, with the hiring of yet another Sup't (in the specialty field of Ed.) at a salary + package that nearly matches Blacks.

Would I say, Oh no, I must finish my ed. requirements- frankly the option for me in my field would never come up. I don't have a buddy-relationship with one of the richest people in the world.

This is an appointment by politics that was made in bad blood with the NYCDOE and the NYSDOE.

Let's start appointing doctors, lawyers, prison wardens, and architects without the proper licensing and degrees. Hell, if we want to make it a free for all let's make it illegal for jobs to ask about college history.

-or- we could follow the law that's written, or if necessary change it in a timely manner that suits what's going on in the world today.

-or- we could walk right over it. As is this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
State law requires 3 years of teaching experience, a 15 week (unpaid) internship, hold a masters degree, and to complete a program in educational leadership (the last two can be combined)- in order to receive a 5 year certificate in school district leadership.

The state chancellor of education, said that this particular instance could be waived because of the recommendation of the mayor of New York, with the hiring of yet another Sup't (in the specialty field of Ed.) at a salary + package that nearly matches Blacks.

Would I say, Oh no, I must finish my ed. requirements- frankly the option for me in my field would never come up. I don't have a buddy-relationship with one of the richest people in the world.

This is an appointment by politics that was made in bad blood with the NYCDOE and the NYSDOE.

Let's start appointing doctors, lawyers, prison wardens, and architects without the proper licensing and degrees. Hell, if we want to make it a free for all let's make it illegal for jobs to ask about college history.

-or- we could follow the law that's written, or if necessary change it in a timely manner that suits what's going on in the world today.

Nor do most of us!

I get what you are saying.

If this was such a wrong thing to do, then I don't understand how they got away with it. She should have just not been considered for the job. Period.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:38 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
I personally value education quality over fiscal 'responsibility'.

That, after all, is the purpose of our schools.

If Cathie Black is so quality at what she does, why is it that she can't take (or hasn't) the 33 credits that are required of anyone in her shoes?

The choice mentioned, quality education vs fiscal responsibility is really the heart of the problem in our schools and it is most certainly not a choice of one or the other. Increased cost does not necessarily equate to quality, administrators are there to see that students get a quality education but they also have a fiscal responsibility. Everything comes at a cost and they are about to find that they cannot ignore the taxpayer.

What courses in those 33 credits would make a difference for Cathie Black that she hasn't already experienced in her career, same for Joel Klein?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I agree with licensing in many areas, doctors, engineers, pilots, boat captains but I really don't see licensing as a necessity in this.

The law as written allows waivers and I am sure the intention was not to exclude capable candidates who are well qualified for the position

Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The choice mentioned, quality education vs fiscal responsibility is really the heart of the problem in our schools and it is most certainly not a choice of one or the other. Increased cost does not necessarily equate to quality, administrators are there to see that students get a quality education but they also have a fiscal responsibility. Everything comes at a cost and they are about to find that they cannot ignore the taxpayer.

What courses in those 33 credits would make a difference for Cathie Black that she hasn't already experienced in her career, same for Joel Klein?
Education is something that weak minded people grasp on to because they want to feel superior to others. Funny, she doesn't have the "education" guidelines for the job, but the buildings are all still standing!!!!

How did we ever evolve from pond scum without all of these Masters Degrees running around? The most popular president of the past 50 years was an actor and the guy in house has a BA from Columbia and a JD from Harvard....if that doesn't say enough about the real value of college education. (Note: I have an Ivy League Degree)

Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I agree with licensing in many areas, doctors, engineers, pilots, boat captains but I really don't see licensing as a necessity in this.

The law as written allows waivers and I am sure the intention was not to exclude capable candidates who are well qualified for the position
Of the hundreds of superintendents in New York State, the only one to not have this qualification is Ms. Black. The waiver has only been used twice in the last 20 years, both times for the appointed chancellor of the NYCDOE.

Even the NYCDOE board of ed. did not approve this.

I imagine a scary future if you feel that educators shouldn't be credentialed, but every other career under the sun is entitled to this.

It is no guarantee of quality, but the rules still exists.
New York City in 2004 began denying thousands of career changers an alternative pathway to teaching, standing by its new stringent standards.

Clearly however, it is the handwriting on the wall as this nation seeks cheaper alternatives to education- and to undermine the knit unions who have done a mixture of good and bad over the last 100 years in education.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 PM

156 posts, read 449,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Nor do most of us!

I get what you are saying.

If this was such a wrong thing to do, then I don't understand how they got away with it. She should have just not been considered for the job. Period.
Mayor Bloomberg was made the head of the NYC schools system. This has made him more powerful in regards to the schools than previous mayors. As the mayor/ head of schools, he now makes these large decisions (Klein, Black) on his own. Bloomberg has the political clout to get what he wants (so far), so the state Dept. of Ed. has approved these items that he has put up for special exemptions.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Of the hundreds of superintendents in New York State, the only one to not have this qualification is Ms. Black. The waiver has only been used twice in the last 20 years, both times for the appointed chancellor of the NYCDOE.

I imagine a scary future if you feel that educators shouldn't be credentialed, but every other career under the sun is entitled to this.

New York City in 2004 began denying thousands of career changers an alternative pathway to teaching, standing by its new stringent standards.

Clearly however, it is the handwriting on the wall as this nation seeks cheaper alternatives to education- and to undermine the knit unions who have done a mixture of good and bad over the last 100 years in education.
We don't like it when they use their "credentials" to keep the School Superintendants jobs for a tiny minority of people so that they can double dip like crazy -- retire with low six figure pensions and take another job with low six figure salary and collect both pension and salary at the same time. This should not have even happened ONCE on Long Island, it should be a total aberration, yet it happens CONSTANTLY. You think that is "above board?" I don't. Exactly how stupid do they think we are? People are waking up to this nonsense that they've kept hidden from us. That is the elephant in the room, not the subject of "credentialing." Far from it.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree with candidates having some standards but there certainly needs to be flexibility especially when it comes to good managers. The bureacracy shouldn't come above good candidates and I certainly take issue with the contention that someone with 33 credits deserves a position before a qualified candidate. You do understand that Carole Hankin does not teach a class and has an entire staff.

I am still waiting for an answer on what course would be menaingful relative to someone like Cathie Black.

I find it hard to believe that you are actually comparing the position of the Chancelor of NY City with a school district on LI, you have no issue with paying Carole Hankin that amount of money but you take issue with Cathie Black's ability?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne teacher View Post
Mayor Bloomberg was made the head of the NYC schools system. This has made him more powerful in regards to the schools than previous mayors. As the mayor/ head of schools, he now makes these large decisions (Klein, Black) on his own. Bloomberg has the political clout to get what he wants (so far), so the state Dept. of Ed. has approved these items that he has put up for special exemptions.

The fact is that superintendents would like you to believe that there are only a select few that could actually do this job, there are other alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island