Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So you are now going to take martyr credit for an EMT getting shot?
This is exactly what I was thinking... An EMT as a first responder gets shot and that's a reason to pay cops more. What kind of alternate reality is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking... An EMT as a first responder gets shot and that's a reason to pay cops more. What kind of alternate reality is that?

Antwisted and somewhat sick alternate reality where cops are always right and anyone who criticizes them might as well be a criminal.

Last edited by dman72; 03-03-2011 at 07:21 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
What is this world coming to?

N.Y. Firefighter Shot Responding to Crash Scene | Firehouse.com (http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-headlines/ny-firefighter-shot-responding-crash-scene - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKzl0hFAvUA

Speedy recovery to Justin Angell!
Crazy story, sounds like the guy might have been en route to take out a bunch of people or something. Good thing there were cops there on site or it probably would have turned into a mass shooting or hostage situation.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Now let's hear from all the regulars about how cops do nothing, how soft and safe their jobs are, how gunfights only occur in the big bad city. And then let's talk about how much money they make as the cop who killed the bad guy has to wrestle with the taking of a human life for the rest of his days (yeah, even shooting bad guys affects you psychologically.)
Yes....Hats off to NCPD

Please dont tarnish this as a discussion about the free economy and what the market will bear.No one ever questioned the worth of a policeman ....only what the market will bear.

Despite the mean streets of Bellmore LOL.Im pretty damn sure youd pack the Coliseum today with applicants if the job capped out at 75k.
In fact I know it would....and so do you.

I feel bad for LIRR Engineers who have to deal with jumpers each year...but theyre overpaid too based on our current economic reality.

Thank God the EMTs on the mend.

Crooks

Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Antwisted and somewhat sick alternate reality where cops are always right and anyone who criticizes them might as well be a criminal.
Actually, it's a comment your tired old agenda that there's no danger in police work in Nassau County. Well, here's the proof that, once again, your assessment is light on facts. While it's unfortunate that the EMT was shot, he did not engage in a gun battle with the bad guy. The cops did. And they were forced to defend themselves and others by killing the bad guy. Because that's their job.

Don't ever presume to tell me or anyone else that cops don't do anything or that police work isn't dangerous unless you've been on the receiving end of shots fired at you simply because you wear a uniform. I've been there ... have you?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Actually, it's a comment your tired old agenda that there's no danger in police work in Nassau County. Well, here's the proof that, once again, your assessment is light on facts. While it's unfortunate that the EMT was shot, he did not engage in a gun battle with the bad guy. The cops did. And they were forced to defend themselves and others by killing the bad guy. Because that's their job.

Don't ever presume to tell me or anyone else that cops don't do anything or that police work isn't dangerous unless you've been on the receiving end of shots fired at you simply because you wear a uniform. I've been there ... have you?
We've been made well aware that you have been there. I've never once said that cops don't do anything. I've also never said that police work cannot be dangerous..in general on Long Island it isn't dangerous if you look at statistics. You want to take a poor guy being shot by a nut and capitalize on it for you self aggrandizing and financially self serving agenda.

The EMT's job proved to more dangerous the cops because he had no means to defend himself. Perhaps you should be pounding the interwebs chat forums prostelytizing for EMT salaries to be raised instead of telling us how deserving you and your friends are.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 AM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
Or, perhaps you should stop beating a dead horse about police salaries. Flashing -- we get it. You don't like what assorted Police [among others] in this area are paid. What ELSE do you have?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
Or, perhaps you should stop beating a dead horse about police salaries. Flashing -- we get it. You don't like what assorted Police [among others] in this area are paid. What ELSE do you have?
You apparently failed to notice that it was your cop buddy here who turned this thread towards the usual back and forth nonsense with his tasteless and inappropriate post..but you're okay with that.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 PM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
I'm "not OK" with anything -- you seem to post alot about Police & salaries, no? Not to signal you out, as there's no reason to, but aside from coming here to simply complain, and that's both your right & a public service, as it allows others to "see" through your eyes, you've pitched your b*tch; what now? Some civil servants are lazy; most aren't. If those unions [or, more accurately, associations] that negotiate with it's respective governmental counterparts do more homework, and take the time to see exactly what they can and cannot ask for versus the apparently ill-informed or flat out ignorant, whose fault is that? Couple that with the flat out lies that are represented as reporting in most media outlets, and you're expecting what exactly? It's all nice & good to "speak your mind" in an anonymous forum, but, given the opportunity to possibly speak publicly about this, do you? Do you maintain contact with your elected officials to perhaps post your views so, if found valid, can be addressed?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
I'm "not OK" with anything -- you seem to post alot about Police & salaries, no? Not to signal you out, as there's no reason to, but aside from coming here to simply complain, and that's both your right & a public service, as it allows others to "see" through your eyes, you've pitched your b*tch; what now? Some civil servants are lazy; most aren't. If those unions [or, more accurately, associations] that negotiate with it's respective governmental counterparts do more homework, and take the time to see exactly what they can and cannot ask for versus the apparently ill-informed or flat out ignorant, whose fault is that? Couple that with the flat out lies that are represented as reporting in most media outlets, and you're expecting what exactly? It's all nice & good to "speak your mind" in an anonymous forum, but, given the opportunity to possibly speak publicly about this, do you? Do you maintain contact with your elected officials to perhaps post your views so, if found valid, can be addressed?
I don't understand this line of reasoning.

"I don't agree with your position, so I have to ASSUME that all that you do is complain here!!!"

It's completely irrelevant whether I do or not to the discussion we're having. If you're done with the discussion, than stop talking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island