Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM

31 posts, read 23,277 times

Advertisements

no way that guy is my designated driver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 PM

999 posts, read 2,348,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So if I can't find a rifle range to shoot my gun at, I should receive sympathy for wanting to shoot out in the streets? Awesome. Good to know.
If we remove, calverton, ridge, yaphank, the 3 private clubs in riverhead, the melville club, the NC range and the few i can't remember...

i would imagine you just might find a farmer to let you try out your shooting on his empty property... maybe even the desolate pine barrens.... There is no cops in there

Not very different then waiting till 2 am when no one is on the street to race your car, since you have no where to do it legally, and safely, and not by choice, but you are forced to have no where to practice this.

So while you shoot on a farmers property you accidentally shoot someone... oooops, wasn't intentional, wasn't supposed to happen, you tried to do it somewhere you felt was safe, took some precautions...

Lets make no mistake, that had the officer radioed ahead and followed with no lights, there probably wouldn't have been a crash...
So every action causes a reaction...

If i see people racing on the street, where they know and i know there taking a huge risk, i sure as hell am not going to announce (turn the disco lights on) here i come...

Also giving chase to vehicles over 100 mph is also clearly a dangerous move as we and the officer has now learned, and why police usually do not proceed with such actions because of exactly what the out come was...

There are lessons to be learned from this..

radio ahead, cars ahead lights on, let them come up behind them, and then trailing car can move in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I saw this story on the news and the father of one of the kids spoke and was pretty much "my son is a good kid, he was just doing what any 21 year old would do."

Ummmm...no, sorry sir, but i wasn't racing my car 145mph on the LIE when I was 21 (granted i'm a female, but still)...and I have a feeling most 21 year olds aren't.
I was, and i know thousands that were at that age, difference was...

We had 6 facilities at the time i was able to use them, that 6 was down from the 48 facilities Long Island had.

The major draw for communities here was the motorsports that attracted it since 1900.

Thanks to the Vanderbilt family for building the 1st motorsports facility, that YOU know as "motor parkway" which was 44 miles of raceway, then later donated to long island.

They then built roosevelt raceway, you know it as roosevelt mall

So it is very hard for the motorsports community that lives on the island where motorsports was born and raised in the United States, and had 45 facilities, groomed some of the most famous race car drivers and brought on some major innovations to cars, thru racing.....along with making a huge industry and business section for the island to be pushed aside and nothing done to make a safe area.

We aren't asking the county for money, WE have money, We just need the bs to stop with trying to build it, and people to stop lying about something they have no clue about and let it happen...

From that will come police not engaged with fatality accidents, police not engaged with trying to stop illegal street racing while you are being mugged or raped, police not having to see dead kids from a tragic accident that could have been so prevented....

There are many things that can and will be done to combat street racing, and the Long Island Motorsports Association has that plan and the wherewithal to make it happen.

However the Long Island Motorsports Association can not make it happen without a facility to bring the kids and professionals to, making the reality of stopping it, non existent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
These morons could be going to Englishtown, NJ and racing there.

And cars DO kill people, like guns.

Morons are going to be morons, no matter what.
Cars do not kill people, neither do guns, people using them irresponsibly resulting in an accident or purposely kill people...

I'll put 5 cars running in my driveway and 20 guns loaded on them, next to them and we can stand there together waiting to see which car and which gun tries to harm either one of us...
I bet you, nothing happens... EVEN if i provoke them...

Now

They're not morons, it takes brains and a strong mechanical understanding and ability to make the cars that fast, not anyone can make them fast, so they're not morons. (4 cyl cars)

They are kids with a ability and have no where to practice it.

how many kids and adults do you need to hear from that will tell you they wouldn't be on the street.

How many businesses do you want to hear from that need a facility to test at, there next innovation perfected, next safety break thru

Have you any idea how many good businesses with good jobs we lost to no longer having a facility for them to test at.... (it's nearing the hundreds now)

Do you know how expensive it is to go back and fourth to NJ ? do you want to know....

For me to take a day to test my business products costs me over $500...
1 day
1 trip to and from NJ, and thats not no special day with all the fixings...

It's a miserable day, up at 4am to beat the imbeciles that can not drive, double check the car on/in the trailer, make sure i have my new pieces to test, fill up at the station, get hammered at the tolls(3), get to the track (2 hours) wait till it opens (another 2 hours), (at e-town maybe get a very limited test session and not learn enough of what needs to be refined or scrapped) a cheap lunch ($15) leave, top off tank at $0.60 cheaper or more, bent over at the tolls again....

Sob i spent $420 for NJ's economy

or we go to NJMP (road course) for some endurance testing, that day is over $600......

That's $600 spent in NJ...

Coming home, can take 4 or 5 hours...

How many kids you know dropping $500 or $600...
I only do it because at times i need to make changes and try new things...

Im not wasting the money to spend in NJ, i would rather it be here, JUST like it was, when Long Island tempted me and had everything the motorsports enthusiast, motorsports business owner could want... Drawing me and business here....

Now myself like another 100,000 are trapped, on a dead end, without a facility now for 7 years...

It's only going to get worse....

There is no need for it, 30 mil for 300 acres at epcal....offered 2 months ago, & last month, & right now...30 for 300 acres

Nope "we need to do redevelop our zoning"

Another stall tactic to wait us out....

Meanwhile, more jobs are lost, our economy suffers, and TONIGHT....

Maybe....

God forbid...

Someone can die....

Because......

a empty headed politician has no clue....

The nfl makes 5.9 billion a year....

Thats 256 games

F-1 makes 4 billion a year

Thats 16 races

Nascar makes 4.5 billion a year

Thats 36 races

NHRA, SCCA, ALMS, INDY all do just shy of what the nfl does in a 10% of the time...

So why not have a facility to bring in a few hundred million, a facility to keep kids off the street and able to make the next great automotive break thru, a facility to teach kids in drivers ed how to safely drive and what not to do....
Have a facility to attract jobs and business

No! ! ! instead of all that positive, waste another 12 years and have nothing, everything else isn't working... or people without a clue and understanding speaking out there ass as if they know of what follows motorsports and what jobs they create and manufacturing...

Meanwhile we shun our heritage....

The 1st motorsports race in the US
The 1st stock car race in the US
The 1st purpose built dragway in the US

The most motorsports enthusiasts and racers per capita.....

Yet we continue to drop the ball......

i wouldn't wish anyone kids to die in a tragic accident....

It amazes me the selfishness of the people on this island and there lack of insight to fix a problem.

Lets do like NYC did, and make another law, oh and that killed more people...
Made the issue worse...

They never learn, people, for the most part it seems that the majority of the population is dumb, almost retarded.

Worse is we have an area, and the means to make it happen....

W A S T E D ! ! !

Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,941,652 times
your post is too long for me to read.... but I did see one thing: they have to be smart to make their 4bangers quick.

FYI, one was driving a Neon SRT-4, which is, like you said, a 4cyl motor... but it comes from the factory turbocharged. Plus, you can always pay another person to do upgrades... look at all of the upgrade shops we have on LI.

Oh and, FYI, I am into sportbikes and fast cars as well, but I know it's stupid to do dumb stuff on the streets. My bike hits 65mph in first gear, so I am no stranger to speed and the desire of it. I'm not going to say I never raced when I was younger, but we sure as hell didn't do it on streets that had big dangers on them... ocean parkway was one we used. But again, I am older now and know that it was STUPID to do this, especially to those in the cars that were not involved.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 PM

That's wonderful.....

Ocean parkway was a safer choice than the LIE . . .

You clearly aren't thinking now with that statement and weren't thinking then...

The LIE doesn't have trees lining both sides.... making IT the better choice for a mechanical failure.

I should show you pics of cars and riders that slid off into trees at 50 mph.... let alone 100 mph...

So here's a safety outlook many people never see, and never bring up to the state or county, any parkway/highway should have safety barriers....

Any that do not have a barriers ARE A HAZARD to all users...

Last edited by LIMA; 03-04-2011 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
If we remove, calverton, ridge, yaphank, the 3 private clubs in riverhead, the melville club, the NC range and the few i can't remember...

i would imagine you just might find a farmer to let you try out your shooting on his empty property... maybe even the desolate pine barrens.... There is no cops in there

Not very different then waiting till 2 am when no one is on the street to race your car, since you have no where to do it legally, and safely, and not by choice, but you are forced to have no where to practice this.

So while you shoot on a farmers property you accidentally shoot someone... oooops, wasn't intentional, wasn't supposed to happen, you tried to do it somewhere you felt was safe, took some precautions...

Lets make no mistake, that had the officer radioed ahead and followed with no lights, there probably wouldn't have been a crash...
So every action causes a reaction...

If i see people racing on the street, where they know and i know there taking a huge risk, i sure as hell am not going to announce (turn the disco lights on) here i come...

Also giving chase to vehicles over 100 mph is also clearly a dangerous move as we and the officer has now learned, and why police usually do not proceed with such actions because of exactly what the out come was...

There are lessons to be learned from this..

radio ahead, cars ahead lights on, let them come up behind them, and then trailing car can move in...

I was, and i know thousands that were at that age, difference was...

We had 6 facilities at the time i was able to use them, that 6 was down from the 48 facilities Long Island had.

The major draw for communities here was the motorsports that attracted it since 1900.

Thanks to the Vanderbilt family for building the 1st motorsports facility, that YOU know as "motor parkway" which was 44 miles of raceway, then later donated to long island.

They then built roosevelt raceway, you know it as roosevelt mall

So it is very hard for the motorsports community that lives on the island where motorsports was born and raised in the United States, and had 45 facilities, groomed some of the most famous race car drivers and brought on some major innovations to cars, thru racing.....along with making a huge industry and business section for the island to be pushed aside and nothing done to make a safe area.

We aren't asking the county for money, WE have money, We just need the bs to stop with trying to build it, and people to stop lying about something they have no clue about and let it happen...

From that will come police not engaged with fatality accidents, police not engaged with trying to stop illegal street racing while you are being mugged or raped, police not having to see dead kids from a tragic accident that could have been so prevented....

There are many things that can and will be done to combat street racing, and the Long Island Motorsports Association has that plan and the wherewithal to make it happen.

However the Long Island Motorsports Association can not make it happen without a facility to bring the kids and professionals to, making the reality of stopping it, non existent

Cars do not kill people, neither do guns, people using them irresponsibly resulting in an accident or purposely kill people...

I'll put 5 cars running in my driveway and 20 guns loaded on them, next to them and we can stand there together waiting to see which car and which gun tries to harm either one of us...
I bet you, nothing happens... EVEN if i provoke them...

Now

They're not morons, it takes brains and a strong mechanical understanding and ability to make the cars that fast, not anyone can make them fast, so they're not morons. (4 cyl cars)

They are kids with a ability and have no where to practice it.

how many kids and adults do you need to hear from that will tell you they wouldn't be on the street.

How many businesses do you want to hear from that need a facility to test at, there next innovation perfected, next safety break thru

Have you any idea how many good businesses with good jobs we lost to no longer having a facility for them to test at.... (it's nearing the hundreds now)

Do you know how expensive it is to go back and fourth to NJ ? do you want to know....

For me to take a day to test my business products costs me over $500...
1 day
1 trip to and from NJ, and thats not no special day with all the fixings...

It's a miserable day, up at 4am to beat the imbeciles that can not drive, double check the car on/in the trailer, make sure i have my new pieces to test, fill up at the station, get hammered at the tolls(3), get to the track (2 hours) wait till it opens (another 2 hours), (at e-town maybe get a very limited test session and not learn enough of what needs to be refined or scrapped) a cheap lunch ($15) leave, top off tank at $0.60 cheaper or more, bent over at the tolls again....

Sob i spent $420 for NJ's economy

or we go to NJMP (road course) for some endurance testing, that day is over $600......

That's $600 spent in NJ...

Coming home, can take 4 or 5 hours...

How many kids you know dropping $500 or $600...
I only do it because at times i need to make changes and try new things...

Im not wasting the money to spend in NJ, i would rather it be here, JUST like it was, when Long Island tempted me and had everything the motorsports enthusiast, motorsports business owner could want... Drawing me and business here....

Now myself like another 100,000 are trapped, on a dead end, without a facility now for 7 years...

It's only going to get worse....

There is no need for it, 30 mil for 300 acres at epcal....offered 2 months ago, & last month, & right now...30 for 300 acres

Nope "we need to do redevelop our zoning"

Another stall tactic to wait us out....

Meanwhile, more jobs are lost, our economy suffers, and TONIGHT....

Maybe....

God forbid...

Someone can die....

Because......

a empty headed politician has no clue....

The nfl makes 5.9 billion a year....

Thats 256 games

F-1 makes 4 billion a year

Thats 16 races

Nascar makes 4.5 billion a year

Thats 36 races

NHRA, SCCA, ALMS, INDY all do just shy of what the nfl does in a 10% of the time...

So why not have a facility to bring in a few hundred million, a facility to keep kids off the street and able to make the next great automotive break thru, a facility to teach kids in drivers ed how to safely drive and what not to do....
Have a facility to attract jobs and business

No! ! ! instead of all that positive, waste another 12 years and have nothing, everything else isn't working... or people without a clue and understanding speaking out there ass as if they know of what follows motorsports and what jobs they create and manufacturing...

Meanwhile we shun our heritage....

The 1st motorsports race in the US
The 1st stock car race in the US
The 1st purpose built dragway in the US

The most motorsports enthusiasts and racers per capita.....

Yet we continue to drop the ball......

i wouldn't wish anyone kids to die in a tragic accident....

It amazes me the selfishness of the people on this island and there lack of insight to fix a problem.

Lets do like NYC did, and make another law, oh and that killed more people...
Made the issue worse...

They never learn, people, for the most part it seems that the majority of the population is dumb, almost retarded.

Worse is we have an area, and the means to make it happen....

W A S T E D ! ! !
In the new age of greener alternatives, with oil at a zillion bucks a barrel and people dying every day fighting for it, sorry, but I think the powers that be would rather invest in sports that get us off our lazy a$$es and don't waste valuable resources. That might have something to do with it.

Guns were invented to kill people. Cars were meant to be driven. Put the car where it belongs and use it how it was intended and it does not kill people. If a gun is not killing it is a waste. Bad analogy.

Morons kill. Good analogy. 140MPH on a highway, barrier or no barrier, MORON.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,022,637 times
I know I'm dating myself but sometimes I still think of the track at Bridgehampton... Did love going to races there.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,556,344 times
Why is it when someone bemoans the loss of equestrian facilities that they aren't the subject of smarmy comments, but if someone suggests that bringing back a motorsports facility they are ridiculed or insulted?

We live in an area where we are losing out to developers. Hunting is greatly diminished, equestrian facilities are dwindling, tracks and drag strips non existent. There are so many young people out there who have worked on their cars and want to see what they can do. Why not provide them with a place in which they can do so in a regulated, safe environment off of the public streets?

Why not develop a speedway? Daytona is home to some amazing car shows when the speedway is not in use.

New Hampshire has an awesome track which not only features NASCAR, but has some great specialty offerings.
New Hampshire Motor Speedway | Schedule | Season (http://www.nhms.com/schedule/ - broken link)

The track is busy 9 months of the year and during peak season (April - October) has events several times each week with the summer months at almost a daily schedule. It could bring some decent money to LI.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibs mkskiII View Post
In the new age of greener alternatives, with oil at a zillion bucks a barrel and people dying every day fighting for it, sorry, but I think the powers that be would rather invest in sports that get us off our lazy a$$es and don't waste valuable resources. That might have something to do with it.

Guns were invented to kill people. Cars were meant to be driven. Put the car where it belongs and use it how it was intended and it does not kill people. If a gun is not killing it is a waste. Bad analogy.

Morons kill. Good analogy. 140MPH on a highway, barrier or no barrier, MORON.
The powers that be haven't a clue, just like you, without barriers you can die at 40 mph, your mind isn't capable of why or how that can be..

Another short sighted bigoted long island mind....

You lack the ability to understand other things motorsport facilities bring...because you are a product of the BEST schools

1. Did you know of the electric motor company or even the heavy truck company that was on L.I...
Probably you did not, also unaware of the advantages this company was making with there advancements of non oil use vehicles and motors.
They needed a place to test and run endurance... couple hundred good jobs lost..
Even more once there manufacturing really takes off.

2. I as well as others in the automotive field are constantly looking for the new innovation to change the automotive world and the everyday driver that will benefit from it (something EVERYONE uses) and without a facility i am forced to not be able to advance or test.
I test many things, and the end result is they gain people more mpg, longevity and less maintenance costs, hard to make these things without testing and refining them

3. Motorsports ARE the #1 economic generators, and fuel and spin off into every other area of business from a to z...
No other sport or business has that ability

4. It will prevent you from being killed by kids practicing on the street
It can save you or your sons or daughters, friend, family members life from themselves or others.

As for the greener, the fed is demanding cars to get 35 to 40 mpg, that won't happen without RACING, and if you opened your eyes you will find that the fed govt/epa is heavily involved now with motorsports to see what is and isn't possible.

If your car got 50/70 mpg you wouldn't care about the $5 a gallon, that comes from testing thru racing, just as every other use in your car today has, from the electronics to the safety developments and tires and materials.

Cannons and military guns were made for protecting there people.

Guns were also made for people to better hunt with and feed themselves, you forgot how a gun was a essential tool so people could survive.

However what you can't seem to understand is that a gun will not kill anything, it takes a person to use that tool to operate it to kill.

There are numerous uses for guns and many of them are for sport more than they are for killing, i don't use my guns to kill people and i have numerous guns...

Any tool can be used by a person to kill...without the person the gun like everything else is a object laying there.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
The powers that be haven't a clue, just like you, without barriers you can die at 40 mph, your mind isn't capable of why or how that can be..

Another short sighted bigoted long island mind....

You lack the ability to understand other things motorsport facilities bring...because you are a product of the BEST schools

1. Did you know of the electric motor company or even the heavy truck company that was on L.I...
Probably you did not, also unaware of the advantages this company was making with there advancements of non oil use vehicles and motors.
They needed a place to test and run endurance... couple hundred good jobs lost..
Even more once there manufacturing really takes off.

2. I as well as others in the automotive field are constantly looking for the new innovation to change the automotive world and the everyday driver that will benefit from it (something EVERYONE uses) and without a facility i am forced to not be able to advance or test.
I test many things, and the end result is they gain people more mpg, longevity and less maintenance costs, hard to make these things without testing and refining them

3. Motorsports ARE the #1 economic generators, and fuel and spin off into every other area of business from a to z...
No other sport or business has that ability

4. It will prevent you from being killed by kids practicing on the street
It can save you or your sons or daughters, friend, family members life from themselves or others.

As for the greener, the fed is demanding cars to get 35 to 40 mpg, that won't happen without RACING, and if you opened your eyes you will find that the fed govt/epa is heavily involved now with motorsports to see what is and isn't possible.

If your car got 50/70 mpg you wouldn't care about the $5 a gallon, that comes from testing thru racing, just as every other use in your car today has, from the electronics to the safety developments and tires and materials.

Cannons and military guns were made for protecting there people.

Guns were also made for people to better hunt with and feed themselves, you forgot how a gun was a essential tool so people could survive.

However what you can't seem to understand is that a gun will not kill anything, it takes a person to use that tool to operate it to kill.

There are numerous uses for guns and many of them are for sport more than they are for killing, i don't use my guns to kill people and i have numerous guns...

Any tool can be used by a person to kill...without the person the gun like everything else is a object laying there.

I wish there was a track so you'd find better use for your time than these mindless, self-serving diatribes.

I am not anti-car racing. I am not a fan. I could care less.

The fact remains that the world is at war for oil and maybe some feel it would be better served conserving it for necessary use.

Been a LI'er for 9 months. Educated in NYC *hold the applause. The personal attack is unwarranted.

Hunting for food and defending your country with a gun, the purpose of the gun is to kill, please tell me you aren't this dense. The gun was invented to kill.

Was a car invented to kill organisms (more specific for you) or for transportation?

Was a gun invented to decorate a mantle or shoot skeet?

Motorsports will prevent me from being killed by kids who race. I guess that means if we have a WWE club then kids won't fight? If we have enough gun ranges then people won't get shot? Enough baseball leagues and no one will play in the sandlots?

Go to the track.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibs mkskiII View Post
Hunting for food and defending your country with a gun, the purpose of the gun is to kill, please tell me you aren't this dense. The gun was invented to kill.
I did write in my original post "kill people".

Guns were invented to kill. Period. Cars weren't.

My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island