Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,796,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I used D. Hertz at Dewey, Screum and Howe.
I swear I had to do a double take to make sure that wasn't a Donald Duck joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I used D. Hertz at Dewey, Screum and Howe.

Hmmmmm, has "Screum" replaced "Cheathem" ??????

Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 29,756 times
thanks again everyone for the quick responses. My head is spinning here trying to figure out who I am going to use. I cant wait to get this all over with already.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,645,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan_the dog View Post
Richard Cohen 631 475 7572 excellent real estate attorney and his wife is a partner in a mortgage banking company great people to deal with

RED FLAG ALERT...

This has conflict of interest written all over it. One should never ever use a lawyer and mortgage person who share a personal or business relationship with each other, where one of the parties can be financially improved by the other party.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito631 View Post
thanks again everyone for the quick responses. My head is spinning here trying to figure out who I am going to use. I cant wait to get this all over with already.
Sent you a DM.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:55 PM

63 posts, read 163,287 times
No, she does recommend her husband for closings but not all. Mr Cohen is a wonderful person and an even better attorney.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
No, she does recommend her husband for closings but not all. Mr Cohen is a wonderful person and an even better attorney.

Again, its the perception of a conflict of interest. If you use this mortgage broker and she recommends her husband as an attorney and you use both, its your OWN FAULT if something goes wrong later. These people have a personal and financial interest in seeing that your deal goes through, maybe to the detriment of you and your wallet. I'm not saying that they are this way, but when picking people to represent you, you need to be the ones who's interest they are looking after.

Your lawyer works for you and your interests.... not anyone elses....

Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 AM

63 posts, read 163,287 times
So you go to a real estate to buy a home they recommend a mortgage banker or broker same thing and when you meet the L/O from the mtge. co. they will ask if you have an atty. if not they will recommend one. This is the R.E. world and it works

Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
So you go to a real estate to buy a home they recommend a mortgage banker or broker same thing and when you meet the L/O from the mtge. co. they will ask if you have an atty. if not they will recommend one. This is the R.E. world and it works

Of course they will recommend someone. They all recommend each other. It doesnt mean you have to go with it. Go out and get referrals from others who have bought/sold houses for recommendations. There is a lot at stake here, dont take the lazy way out. How many times have you been through this process? You need your lawyer to work for you and have your best interests in mind. The only way to guarentee that is vet that person your self. Again, hire your own lawyer that you went out and hired off recommendations from your family/friends.... it should not come from someone who has a personal or financial stake in the process.

I am especially wary of the mortgage brokers who work in the R.E. offices and lawyers cards who are in R.E. offices.

Caveat Emptor.... YMMV... Call it what you will.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island