Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 12,965 times

Advertisements

I am Jewish with 2 young children but not very religious. We used to live in Manhasset and while everyone was very nice and we had friends, my wife found it very hard to break into some social networks/groups. In otherwords, while certainly not hostile at all, we found it a less than welcoming community for us at least. We have recently looked at some properties we liked in both Laurel Hallow and Lloyd Harbor (both CSHSD). I know that teh schoools have an impeccable reputation but I was curious whether there is any jewish population/presence there. Again, we are not religious but don't necessilary want my kids to be the only ones. I know that Northport has a greater jewish presence but I would prefer not to go that far East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward2c View Post
I am Jewish with 2 young children but not very religious. We used to live in Manhasset and while everyone was very nice and we had friends, my wife found it very hard to break into some social networks/groups. In otherwords, while certainly not hostile at all, we found it a less than welcoming community for us at least. We have recently looked at some properties we liked in both Laurel Hallow and Lloyd Harbor (both CSHSD). I know that teh schoools have an impeccable reputation but I was curious whether there is any jewish population/presence there. Again, we are not religious but don't necessilary want my kids to be the only ones. I know that Northport has a greater jewish presence but I would prefer not to go that far East.
Your kids won't be "the only ones", but definitely not the majority.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Huntington Village which is right over the hill from CSH on 25A has the Huntington Jewish Center on Park Avenue, and farther up Park Avenue is Temple Beth El. They're both roughly 10 minutes from CSH. There is also on Park Avenue an orthodox Jewish temple of sorts, but it's in a house, and from what I can gather, their congregation is very small. Max Rudansky used to head it up - he's a local neurologist - I don't know who is in charge now, but it still exists.

My family was the first Jewish family to actually stay in Huntington and wasn't tarred and feathered and driven out in the 1860's, so I guess you could say we broke the barrier here. And the Jewish population has taken off from there. It is a mixed area regarding religions.

CSH school district is good, but it's not perfect. Because the system is on the small side, which can be a plus, they are lacking some AP courses at the high school level which is a minus. Every school district has its pros and cons. Also, from what I've heard locally, school taxes went up a lot in the CSH side of the district, and not in the Laurel Hollow area. I don't know how Lloyd Harbor and the Neck fared tax wise.

Cold Spring Harbor doesn't have any temples that I'm aware of. It's a beautiful area that's almost entirely residential with the exception of the CSH Village along 25A.

Sure there are Jewish people in CSH as well as Huntington as well as all over LI.

I think what you may have run into is the coldness of LI in general. It's very difficult to make friends anywhere on the Island - but after living on LI for years and moving 3 times, I've found that by joining some sort of organization, that's the best way to meet new people. And that could include joining a church or temple, a local historical society, a horticultural group, a musical organization, the PTA, etc.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by AndreaII; 03-07-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Cold Spring Harbor has a synagogue: the Kehillath Shalom Synagogue on Goose Hill Road
It's right across from where the CSH library was for many years (and is now once again an elementary school).

Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,965 times
I guess I am less concerned with whether there are temples or place of worship as the general inclusiveness or exclusiveness of the school itself. Is the school closer to 2% Jewish or more like 20%. If not CSH, is there anywhere near Laurel Hollow or Lloyd Neck where it might be more mixed? I do NOT want someplace like Jericho/Syosset/Woodbury etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward2c View Post
I guess I am less concerned with whether there are temples or place of worship as the general inclusiveness or exclusiveness of the school itself. Is the school closer to 2% Jewish or more like 20%. If not CSH, is there anywhere near Laurel Hollow or Lloyd Neck where it might be more mixed? I do NOT want someplace like Jericho/Syosset/Woodbury etc.

Definitely not as high as 20%. Trying to get a better answer for you

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
It's definitely not 20%. A lot of Catholics in CSH are pretty active in St. Pat's. I can't speak to how exclusive they are toward other religions.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:24 PM

5,049 posts, read 3,954,202 times
First of all, CSH is much closer to 20%. Nowhere near 2%. Twenty-five years ago it was closer to 2%. Secondly, to echo another writer, Manhasset and CSH are equally outgoing/friendly/welcoming so you may be looking at the wrong issue.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Moderator cut: snip

My reading of the OP is that the OP is a non-Jew Jew and is looking for a community that is not too Jewish but has 10% to maybe 20% or so other non-Jew Jews, and is overall somewhat welcoming of non-Jew Jews.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-08-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
... if it doesn't exist near LH or LN other than GN or Roslyn, than you can't create it. :smack::smack:
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island