Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:45 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,682,164 times

Advertisements

Where have all the good times gone?
From the other threads ...what happened to the magic?

This was the Wonder Years in the 70s.

When did we become the land of NO?
The land of "F you I got mine"?

Where did we go wrong?

Not too many smiling faces left....at least not in my working class circle.

Is it just me or has it changed for the worse?
Maybe its changed for the better if you got the money?

What say you?

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 AM

Plaese forgive the Dupe thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,937,491 times
i say its all in the mind. yes people on LI suck, they suck other places too.
I put myself in a place where most people have to work hard because they are not able to earn the really big bucks because of lack of education. I have never felt any pressure to keep up with anyone in my neighborhood. I shop just over the town line in the stores with people that live in the 3/4 of a million dollar homes, but you what? They are nice too, maybe because I'm nice to them.
I work in Massapequa & I'm in a field where I get to know my "clients" VERY well. I can see the people there are stretched too far, kids are over the top spoiled, everyone looks closely at what others have. You couldn't pay me to live there. Even the ones that are living on the bay with plenty of money are jaded & bitter about something. That lifestyle is not me. I grew up in a home of excess & extravagance & now as an adult/wife/mother I steer my family as far from that as I can.
I drive an 8 yr car with 150,000 miles a 100 miles a day-it gets 30-33 MPG, dropping 450 a month on a car payment will NOT improve my quality of life.
We have NOT used A/C in my home yet this year, we have ceiling fans, walls of windows & mother nature blowing a cool breeze across the lake 95% of the time.
My Dh & I both work fulltime, we make the most of our days off by doing the yardwork together, cleaning up the house together. This is life, its mundane sometimes but that's the way it is.
we don't have any flat screen TVs, we only have basic cable...nothing but pure $hit on TV at night anyway. I'd rather read...or better yet my DH & I can make love at night instead of falling asleep watching crappy shows in different rooms like a lot of people we know.
We conserve energy, we only use organic/natural products in our home & yard. I'd rather encourage people to act on something good locally than
beetch & complain about how bad things are without trying to change anything.
We love the summer here & our house is party central(we don't drink, but our guests do). Open door policy, every weekend we have people over, lots of times they stay the night.
We eat at home 95% of the time, we love to cook/grow our own food & overpaying for crappy chain food(boulder creek/applebees)in places filled with badly behaved kids is just gross. Thats why this country is so fat.
There are TONS of FREE things for adults & kids to do on LI all summer...I won't bother listing them here because I'm already ranting.
Life is what we make it, if I am in my house/town I love or if I got stuck living on top of a mountain or whatever....I control my happiness, not the place or even the people I'm surrounded by.
Everyone that is so unhappy here really needs to stop & listen to yourselves. Its YOU, not LI. If you don't find your happy place, you'll be miserable where ever you go!!

ETS-the bottom line is aside from being more paranoid about bad things happening to my kids, I feel like my life is similar to the lifestyle of years past, its simple because I WANT it that way.

Last edited by KellyFG; 07-25-2007 at 05:23 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 06:48 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,923,472 times

Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 AM

We live beneath our means too.
No AC Used cars,modest home/zipcode etc.

I think you're right about seeing people overextended.
That has a lot to do with the unhappiness of many.

I'd prefer less free stuff and more free time(=lower taxes)
but I agree theres plenty to do if you can bear the traffic.

As for our Kids.....I think its over
This has become the 6th Borough.

When did you buy your home?

I find that seems to be the thing that separates reality for many.

C

Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 AM

BovinaCowHateWindTurbines

I say your right - get in your car now! I hate seeing all youse so angry... All of you should get in one of those floating buses they have for emergencies and cross the sound and seek greener pastures...

Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 AM

525 posts, read 2,352,718 times
Oh Clamboy, you are so right and have quite a witty way of expressing your feelings

We left a year and a half ago for greener pastures and have not regretted it one bit. As a born and bred LIer it became too much to deal with, we found ourselves yearning for the way it used to be, and cursing moments after we pulled out of the driveway due to the horrible behavior displayed by our fellow man.

Just keep focused on CT, you will get there soon enough and begin to shed the disappointment and stress that LI surrounded you with. There is life off LI, I promise, and I remember my last trip over the Throggs Neck on my way to my new place, I blasted the music, rolled down the window, and waved a big old BYE-BYE NY-style

Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,923,472 times
I thought I remembered reading something where Suffolk county put 300,000 into converting buses into floating emergency vehicles in case something happened on the Island - I can just see all the Islanders lining up in an orderly fashion ---

Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Oh Clamboy, you are so right and have quite a witty way of expressing your feelings

We left a year and a half ago for greener pastures and have not regretted it one bit. As a born and bred LIer it became too much to deal with, we found ourselves yearning for the way it used to be, and cursing moments after we pulled out of the driveway due to the horrible behavior displayed by our fellow man.

Just keep focused on CT, you will get there soon enough and begin to shed the disappointment and stress that LI surrounded you with. There is life off LI, I promise, and I remember my last trip over the Throggs Neck on my way to my new place, I blasted the music, rolled down the window, and waved a big old BYE-BYE NY-style
Thank you for the encouragement.

I feel like Im going through the Kubler Ross stages of Death

Denial was the long one.

Ive moved on to Anger/Acceptance.

Where did you move to?
What do you like or miss?

Best

C

Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,937,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
We live beneath our means too.
No AC Used cars,modest home/zipcode etc.

I think you're right about seeing people overextended.
That has a lot to do with the unhappiness of many.

I'd prefer less free stuff and more free time(=lower taxes)
but I agree theres plenty to do if you can bear the traffic.

As for our Kids.....I think its over
This has become the 6th Borough.

When did you buy your home?

I find that seems to be the thing that separates reality for many.

C
We bought our home in May 2004, but we paid almost 1/2 what most people pay because we looked & looked, picked a modest town & bought a fixer. Our taxes are just under 7,000 before STAR & we are greiving them. Do I wish we had dirt cheep taxes? Sure but that is never going to be on LI.
as I said I drive 46 miles during rush hour to my job, my DH drives in traffic to the Hamptons. Its a PITA but lots of giant suburbias have sucky traffic problems. I'm more concerned about the lack of user friendly public transpotation to get from A to B ON LI, not into NYC & my carbon footprint.
I use my time in the car to listen to books on my IPOD or inspirational speakers I download, I also use my handsfree to make all of my errand type calls. I could have bought a 80 year old piece of crap house in an over populated town on a postage sized piece of property to reduce my commute, but I can honestly say every night when I get to about exit 65 on the LIE, I just remember why we live so far east & I feel thankful that it isn't ruined yet.
LI will always be unique due to the simple geographics and for that same reason it will always be highly desired. I'm not ready to leave with my tail between my legs. It was hard for my parents too, they did it...so can I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island