Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
If you're not home when oil is delivered how do you know that what's on the delivery tag actually went into your tank?

ie: dishonest deliveryman puts tag in his meter and delivers 100 gallons to house A for cash he then comes to your house keeps same tag in meter and deliver 100 gallons but tag says 200 gallons.
Well the easiest thing to do is check your oil gauge. A standard tank is 275 gallons. Check the gauge before and after delivery. Other people use a long measuring stick for the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 23,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Holy shoot, Yes I did. And right there is the reason why they were the cheapest price!! Did you contact the website and tell them your findings?
Haven't contacted the website yet but already posted multiple 1-star reviews all over the places... another piece of info - I have pushed that main Emerald guy to the limit with all the complaints etc. He agreed (had a talk to him literally 30 min ago) to compensate for the underfilling and will charge me for as many gallons as they actually filled. I spent few hours on the phone figuring out all the details. Now legally i shouldn't and in fact can't complain to the NY state as there is no stolen fuel. However, the future customers should know who they are and what kind of business they conduct. Will you contact the website too?

Last edited by Migelito; 01-22-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 08:04 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
First off, the meter runs on the truck and it has to add up at some point. If they get audited, they would be screwed. If I get 100 gallons and the bill says 200 gallons, I think I would not be so stupid as to not notice that I got half of what I paid. I would just look at the reading on my tank. 200 gallons would be more than 2/3 tank. If I was on empty, I would be looking at a tank that would have somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Not rocket science. Of course, there is no way to know if you are being shorted a gallon or two here and there, but I doubt it. Next time, make sure you are there and look at the meter on the truck before and after.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
First off, the meter runs on the truck and it has to add up at some point. If they get audited, they would be screwed. If I get 100 gallons and the bill says 200 gallons, I think I would not be so stupid as to not notice that I got half of what I paid. I would just look at the reading on my tank. 200 gallons would be more than 2/3 tank. If I was on empty, I would be looking at a tank that would have somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Not rocket science. Of course, there is no way to know if you are being shorted a gallon or two here and there, but I doubt it. Next time, make sure you are there and look at the meter on the truck before and after.
all this works fine with the above ground tank and the internal meter. In my particular case, the tank is buried, there is no meter, and the only way to measure the level is with a dipstick. And this is exactly what I did and measured 2 inches below my regular level for 200 gal fill. 2 inches for 550 tank within the region of interest correspond to 25-27 gal. so this is certainly more serious than 1-2 gallons here and there. The only mistake i have done was i did not measure together with the driver before and after so that he would have known he would be caught on cheating.
I probably should have looked at the numbers on the meter during fueling, but it was -13 C outside with gusty wind and thus it was the worst day to go outside and spend even 5 minutes standing by the truck...

I really doubt that the amount should add up or being audited by someone. They buy 1000s of gallons at once and then distribute them between us. Their meter has to be certified and sealed similarly to gas stations but no regulatory authority can have any control over how they spend their oil... well, simple example - burned it on the back yard and that's it.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migelito View Post
it seems like it is useless since they may somehow tweak it to pump air instead of oil. the receipt says 200 gals, but it is a fact they underfilled about 27 gals.

I had a talk to the main guy there and he sounded very relieved when he heard I didn't stick measure in front of a driver.

I called the NY state div. of consumer protection and they urged me to file a complaint with them. they also mentioned that this type of fraud happens quite often and they resolve this favorably in 90% of cases.
if this doesn't help then the only place would be the office of NY attorney general. Also I am bitter enough to ruin their reputation online as much as I can...
do you think first 2 options would work?
Before you go about ruining their reputation online I must warn you that they can sue you and if you cannot prove without a doubt that your assumptions are correct you can be held liable. This is a new tactic a lot of companies are using when they receive a bad review from a past customer. I would suggest you file your complaints and never purchase oil from them again.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:19 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Is there any chance you have a leak in your tank? I thought in ground tanks are illegal these days. We had to have ours filled with foam back in the 90s.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 PM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Before you go about ruining their reputation online I must warn you that they can sue you and if you cannot prove without a doubt that your assumptions are correct you can be held liable. This is a new tactic a lot of companies are using when they receive a bad review from a past customer. I would suggest you file your complaints and never purchase oil from them again.
Beyond a reasonable doubt is a criminal defense standard. The homeowner here would have to prove either by clear and convincing evidence or via the preponderance of the evidence that their allegations were true.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Is there any chance you have a leak in your tank? I thought in ground tanks are illegal these days. We had to have ours filled with foam back in the 90s.
in-ground tanks are illegal if newly installed or when the house is sold. when it is just sitting there nobody can force you to remove it and/or re-install. About a leak - I doubt it. unless it appeared momentarily after they filled the tank - which is highly unlikely.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I can't file a complaint now since they charged me for what they actually filled after I had a fight with them. What am I going to file in a complaint? that they filled something which was supposed to be 200 gals, but it turned out it was 173 and they then charged me for 173?

I also don't see what they would be trying to sue me about. I measured the stick before and after - it was underfilled. I complained to the delivery company, they first dismissed but then agreed. I believe that just because of an angry customer called them they would not sacrifice 100 bucks and charge me for less than what they filled, would they? basically, charging me for 173 is sort of equal to admitting that they filled 173, not 200. And the case is dead on arrival here.
Do you see it differently?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM

157 posts, read 285,001 times
I recently moved and the seller filled the tank in December prior to us moving in and provided a receipt at closing. In the 1st week of Jan, after signing up with the same well known LI oil provider, they came and “refilled” the tank and their receipt said the tank had 0 gallons to start and they put in 275 (full tank of oil) I called and told them there’s no way my tank was filled in December, during most of which the home was vacant and heat set to 60, and the tank was empty when they came to fill it. No way we used up all 275 gallons in 2 weeks of use. Even had someone come over to confirm that there’s no tank leak either. The fact that we had heat and hot water the morning they came to “fill the tank” also evidences that we couldn’t have had 0 gallons to start. No response from the thieves yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island