Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times

Advertisements

In reality the Canary Island threat is overblown
Cumbre Vieja mega-tsunami theory

Tsunamis in the Atlantic Ocean - Maine Geological Survey

La Palma Tsunami. The mega-hyped tidal wave story - Canary Islands

Anyone north of Sunrise shouldn't panic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 AM

330 posts, read 726,202 times
During an emergency response class (CERT) I took we were told by a leading member of Nassau County OEM that although there is an evacuation plan for LI it will not work in the event of an actual emergency. Of course we all know this already. After a Cat 4 hurricane all the bridges and tunnels will be closed until they be can properly inspected for damage. This could take weeks. Plan on not getting off the island for a long time after a disaster, unless you have or can borrow/steal a boat. However, I do know where the food and supply drops will be. But I'm not telling.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
That would be Jayne's Hill in West Hills, Town of Huntington
40°48′54″N 73°25′30″W

Nice, that's only 8 miles from here. We could make that. And even if we're all going down at least we'll get the best view.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,276 times
I guess that TLC episode about the volcano slipping into the ocean made a lot of us Long Islanders run to Google Earth, lol. From that point (I think it was from an island off the coast of Africa) it did look like the wave would hit the end of LI (not the south length part). I wish I knew enough wave theory to now how a wave would react - would the island cut it as it continues east, or would it wrap around to engulf the island.
Anyhow, I did look at Japan using Google Earth, and the coastal areas are below sea level, however the land ripidly rises to waaaaay above. LI is much different in that we have a smaller slope from low to high eleveations and we only go up to about 120 to 180 ft above sea level.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
I do not think we have to worry about a 20-30 foot tidal wave or a category 5 hurricane covering the whole Island, which has hills from 200 feet and up on the North Shore and in some places in the middle. Not saying these events would not be devastating but at least we should not worry about the whole Island being covered.

Still, it is obvious that large parts of the South Shore never should have been developed to the extent it has. A major hurricane would not only wreck with storm surge areas south of Merrick-Montauk Highway but in a really bad storm (Category 4), reach as far as Sunrise Highway in some areas. Not only could this disaster effect Nassau, Suffolk and New York City, it would effect the entire state because of the amount of sheer amount of development that has been allowed in coastal areas.

If you look at a map of the State of New York, most of New York is more inland and fairly hilly and mountainous. The state should be relatively safe from storm surge or tidal waves. But instead, the bulk of the states population live in the small coastal areas of Long Island, the Five Boroughs and Westchester County. Its like we put all our eggs in one basket.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
40°48′54″N 73°25′30″W

Nice, that's only 8 miles from here. We could make that. And even if we're all going down at least we'll get the best view.
That's it - think positive

And we'd get to meet

Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
That's it - think positive

And we'd get to meet
Have you driven on the roads in the West Hills area Elke? Not many people are going to fit on those narrow wooded roads lol. Especially, when some slow people drive like they have a covered wagon instead of a car. I hate to see what happens when these slow drivers panic.

If you been watching some of the videos of the Tsunami in Japan, some of the most heart-breaking parts is when you see people trying to get away in their cars. You see some people zooming away in the cars as fast as they can go, but you also see a few people who seem paralized and some going the wrong way. For instance, one car waste precious moments slowly turning around because the owner probably was in shock and did not know what to do.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Have you driven on the roads in the West Hills area Elke? Not many people are going to fit on those narrow wooded roads lol. Especially, when some slow people drive like they have a covered wagon instead of a car. I hate to see what happens when these slow drivers panic.

I have indeed, LINative! Sweet Hollow Rd is one of my favorite shortcuts
But then my car is a "road hugger"

Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Everyone wear their lifevests, it will make you bodies easier to find.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
If a cat 4 hurricane or better hits at high tide, everything up to sunrise is UNDERWATER...even beyond that in many parts

Had Gloria hit at high tide, long island would be very different....and contaminated

Not if, when the canary islands go, everything everyone wasted time preserving will be for naught.

Without a bridge or tunnel at the end of 135 and WFP you'll all be sitting in stalled traffic watching eachother die.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island