Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times

Advertisements

Anyone can explain what BOCES is? I am trying to figure out how to get certified in teaching ESL. Going through NYS education website is like trying to decode an alien language. Not very user-friendly. Someone recommended I contact BOCES to have my degrees evaluated. Anyone has experience with this (contacting BOCES?)
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
It stands for Board of Cooperative Education Services, I think.

I don't think ESL has anything to do with BOCES - BOCES is more vocational education, where kids who are not "mainstream" can go and learn auto mechanics, cosmetology etc - they go off campus to another school, not their regular school.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM

257 posts, read 751,078 times
If you are in the process of getting certified you can have BOCES evaluate your courses and submit them to the state for a fee. If you are in a rush to get your license I would recommend it. The contact info is: Barbara Meskill, Senior Manager
(516) 396-2368 (Monday - Thursday 10:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m)
Otherwise go through nysed.gov if you want to do it on your own. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
If you are in the process of getting certified you can have BOCES evaluate your courses and submit them to the state for a fee. If you are in a rush to get your license I would recommend it. The contact info is: Barbara Meskill, Senior Manager
(516) 396-2368 (Monday - Thursday 10:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m)
Otherwise go through nysed.gov if you want to do it on your own. Good luck!
Thank you. I will contact her on Monday.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:05 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
Yes, calling BOCES is the right move. They can evaluate what courses/degrees you have and what would be needed to get ESL certified. There is Eastern Suffolk, Western Suffolk and Nassau BOCES on LI. We've dealt with Western Suffolk in years past and they were great in helping.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It stands for Board of Cooperative Education Services, I think.

I don't think ESL has anything to do with BOCES - BOCES is more vocational education, where kids who are not "mainstream" can go and learn auto mechanics, cosmetology etc - they go off campus to another school, not their regular school.
BOCES is also for special ed. It's not just for people who want to learn special trades or whatever. There are programs for deaf, blind, mental retardation...all kinds of learning disabilities, physical handicaps etc etc. There is also center for community adjustment which is an alternative learning environment for "troubled" kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: