Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I'm used to having a choice in under 2 miles, so I guess I'm spoiled. My mom in Nesconset goes all the way to Hauppauge. Once her car died in the parking lot and I had to go get her and was shocked that she had to go so far for groceries.
Aren't Nesconset and Hauppauge next to each other?

I live in Stony Brook and the grocery stores in Setauket (King Kullen, Wild by Nature, and Stop & Shop) are closer than the one (Waldbaums) in Stony Brook!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 AM

400 posts, read 738,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Uncle Guiseppe, and there's a much nicer Waldbaums by Smithaven Mall. Dont forget Whole Foods also. And of course Shop Rite in Happaugue, which is the best place of all!
And the cool, new, humongous Trader Joe's on 347 next to Bed, Bath & Beyond!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Drive far in Nesconset? Meat Farms, Stop and Shop (Islandia), Shop Rite, King Kullen, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, all in ten minutes or less.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Drive far in Nesconset? Meat Farms, Stop and Shop (Islandia), Shop Rite, King Kullen, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, all in ten minutes or less.
Islandia Stop and Shop is not one of the better ones in the chain, even with the makeover. Last I checked, S&S hasnt put its newest technology there (hand held scanners, self checkout) due to a higher rate of shrinkage (shoplifting)

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Islandia Stop and Shop is not one of the better ones in the chain, even with the makeover. Last I checked, S&S hasnt put its newest technology there (hand held scanners, self checkout) due to a higher rate of shrinkage (shoplifting)

It's reall not that bad, the Islandia S&S. My wife does avoid it at night as she seen some sketchy characters, but I've never felt that uncomfortable over there. The Walmart in the same shopping center is a different story. It is not very nice, not that I go to walmart much anyway. I went there once to stock up on ridiculously cheap plastic storage bins, and I haven't been there since...my wife refuses to go near it.

Oh, as for supermarkets, I forgot Hauppauge Waldbaums on Vets.

If you live in Nesconset, there are about 7 supermarkets less than 10 minutes drive.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I remember when it was Child World.
I remember when it was Grants!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
They put the handheld scanners in the Medford store (which is very close to the North Bellport area) and soon to be Shirley...welp. That doesn't say very much good about Islandia.

Islandia Stop & Shop does tend to have cheaper sales than other Stop & Shops, but that's because of the colossal big box of crap right in the same shopping center.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Islandia S&S has had self checkout for about 6 years now.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Islandia S&S has had self checkout for about 6 years now.

I think he meant the Scan It scanners, the ones you walk around the store with. That's what they don't have.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
I think he meant the Scan It scanners, the ones you walk around the store with. That's what they don't have.

Actually I was referring to both. I havent been there in a while... I didnt know they put in the self checkout there. They've had some shrinkage issues with those at some stores as a manager at another store told me that they have solved with CCTV and monitors right above the registers. Guess you are less likely to steal if you can see yourself stealing...

Scan It is very successful at the S&S where it has been deployed, but its doubtful they'll use it in Islandia from what I have heard. I know the Medford one just got it recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island