U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 01:02 PM

126 posts, read 501,134 times

Advertisements

Is it worth having your own lawn/gardening equipment? I am debating whether I want to invest on a decent lawn mower, trimmers, edgers going into the spring season. I currently don’t own any equipment, but I am almost obsessed with having beautiful lawn. Last fall with the help of a landscaper friend, we over seeded the front lawn and the results were spectacular. So, I am leaning towards taking on the landscaping maintenance required of my 100x100 lawn. I don’t know a lot about landscaping, but I am a good researcher/learner and good with manual work. I’ve never mowed a lawn before. Is it a wise idea to take this work on and spend all this money up front, or am I better off forking over $ 180 dollars a month for a landscaper.

How many people out there have beautiful lawns/gardens that they maintain themselves, and how difficult is it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 PM

88 posts, read 462,866 times
I do my own lawn just because I'm anal and never liked the way landscapers did it. Also I love doing it, but I am in a very small minority. Most people hire someone to do it. If you do decide to do it go to Walmart and pick up a cheap Lawn mower and trimmer. That will get you started and buy a edger later on in the year. Even the cheapest mower will last acouple of years and then if you decide you don't want to do it, you aren't out that much. Then if you decide in a few years that you want to keep doing it, you will know what you want in a better mower

Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM

126 posts, read 501,134 times
good point pjes. I wanted to go ahead and buy a really good mower for $ 600.00. This is Honda mower that has terrific reviews on consumer reports. I think i am going to enjoy doing it, but you never now. The novelty may just wear off quickly.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM

46 posts, read 142,320 times
I do my own, but its far from beautiful. Its green, and that's good enough for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM

480 posts, read 1,007,536 times
We've always had a landscaper, but we just purcahsed a zero turn rider mower and plan to do it ourselves this year. There are a lot of reasons for this decision, here they are:
1. The cost. It was $50/ mow for our 200x90 ft lawn. Then the fall/spring clean ups about $500
2. All the nice lawns in the neighborhood (I noticed) are owned by people who do it themselves.
3. I hated not being able to not lock my gates (never sure what day they would come).
4. I can not tell you how many things the landscapers ruined. They are quick and run into things - no matter how much I tried to landscape-proof my yard.
5. Grass never grows around our trees due to the way they mow, not sure why and maybe with us doing it there won't be any difference, but it is annoying.

We used our new mower to do the fall clean up and it went VERY well. Unfortunately we got it late in the season and had a ton of leaves to pick up, but if we use it every few days in the fall as the leaves drop, then it wouldn't be that big of a chore. This is what one of my neighbors does and he always has nice grass. We, on the other hand, would wait (and wait) for our landscaper to pick up the leaves, leaving patches of "bad" grass all over. Sometimes they'd skip us all together in the fall, due to the weather and then our lawn would really suffer.

I really hope we don't regret this....

Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM

840 posts, read 2,330,123 times
i pay, there is nothing i would less rather do

Old 03-14-2011, 05:56 PM

886 posts, read 2,519,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
i pay, there is nothing i would less rather do
I'm with you. I did the weekend lawn chore for 18 years and when I had my knee replaced in 2007 I decided to let the neighborhood crew do it. For $35 a week it is better than se........sweating.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM

513 posts, read 789,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
5. Grass never grows around our trees due to the way they mow, not sure why and maybe with us doing it there won't be any difference, but it is annoying.
You're much better off with a ground cover and/or mulch around the base of a tree. String trimmers are frequently fatal to young trees and mowers do a lot of damage to older trees.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM

1,385 posts, read 5,100,207 times
I guess it depends on whether you're planning on being committed to doing it. I bought a cheap mower at a garage sale along with an electric weedwacker.

seemed ok, but was a PITA. eventually the mower died, transmission was shot. and the weedwacker has been a thorn in my side with the chord. these lasted about 4 years, and cost a total of $75, so it was worth it to me
I replaced the mower with a lawnboy mower, honda engine, alumnium deck, personal pace and spent about $600 on it from a mower shop. it starts so much easier, the current pace sensing propel makes mowing a lot easier. all I do is change the oil, spark plug and get the blade sharpened and its great.

I bought an echo gas trimmer and again, sooo much easier to use, start, etc.

I plan on trying to keep both 10+ years, and they should last, they're quality products and I'm going to maintain them.

cheap equipment can be ok, but most of the time its just cheap. it won't last, it is harder to use and will cost you more b/c you'll have to buy it twice.

if you think you like mowing your lawn, but aren't sure check out craigslist or some garage sales and pick up something really cheap or go out and buy something nice. the in between (new but cheap) seems like a waste.

for me its a love hate thing, I hate spending the money to have someone do it, and I do enjoy it about 50% of the time

Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM

929 posts, read 1,975,194 times
How long would it take you to accomplish the landscaping work?
How much does the landscaper charge?

Divide the charges by the amount of hours it would take you to do.

If, you make more than this number then it is not worth it for you to do the work unless you are a sadistic bastard that enjoys doing hard manual labor.

So, if it takes you 4 hours to do all the work and your landscaper charges $100 per go around then you need to make $25/hour to justify using a landscaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island