Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
From what I remember, most of the riders on Long Island's buses pay very little toward their ride. Students and the disabled get vouchers and they make up the majority of the customers. At least that's how it was in Suffolk. Probably the only people who pay full fare are the immigrants so no one should complain when they are on the buses.

That is how it is here in California, too. More than likely , buses will have to really reduce their routes or close down all together.

Public transportation is just a community service, I guess, like libraries , street cleaning , parks and schools .
The average fare paid in Long Island is $1.37 per passenger. See here: http://mta.info/mta/news/hearings/pdf/bluebook_libus.pdf (broken link)

Students pay $2, and everybody else pays $2.25 (I don't know about seniors). The reason why the number is so low is because a lot of people get free transfers from other lines, and a lot of them use an Unlimited MetroCard or UniTicket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
MTA, Nassau End Bus Contract

MTA, Nassau End Bus Contract (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/mta-nassau-end-bus-contract-20110427 - broken link)

Quote:
The letters "MTA" will be coming off the Long Island Bus fleet in Nassau County. After 40 years of running bus, the MTA voted to end its contract with Nassau.

That will allow County Executive Ed Mangano have his way and privatize the system. He said it will save taxpayers $26 million.

The MTA said that is how much Nassau owes the agency to keep the buses running.

So instead, Manango said a private company will do it cheaper.

In other news, JohninWestbury was on Pix 11 news. The guy gets around.

YouTube - Never under-estimate PIX or Mocker!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Default Epic fail!

The MTA better give up back our money from the LI payroll tax then!!!!

I was hoping instead that THEY would take over LI Bus.

The NYS Senate found the money for LI Bus to continue operating until 1/1/2011 (money was previously running out as of 7/2010).

Now with a new privatized operator the routes will most likely be raped and pillaged, and the fares will rise (probably drasticallly) PLUS I am sure there will be no more free transfer to NYC subways!

Mangano was supposed to announce who would be taking over weeks ago, but never did. Smells fishy to me. He supposedly had 3 contenders, so who did he pick?

I wonder if it is a shell company of a friend or relative. Now THAT would take the cake.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
MTA, Nassau End Bus Contract

In other news, JohninWestbury was on Pix 11 news. The guy gets around.

!
After looking at that video, I would think John should worry more about sprucing up his living quarters than what Mangano does with the buses.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The MTA better give up back our money from the LI payroll tax then!!!!

I was hoping instead that THEY would take over LI Bus.

The NYS Senate found the money for LI Bus to continue operating until 1/1/2011 (money was previously running out as of 7/2010).

Now with a new privatized operator the routes will most likely be raped and pillaged, and the fares will rise (probably drasticallly) PLUS I am sure there will be no more free transfer to NYC subways!

Mangano was supposed to announce who would be taking over weeks ago, but never did. Smells fishy to me. He supposedly had 3 contenders, so who did he pick?

I wonder if it is a shell company of a friend or relative. Now THAT would take the cake.
It will be like Suffolk Transit with a $3.50 fare I bet. Maybe Long Island should form it's own public transportation authority (LITA) to run the buses here since the MTA thinks we are worthless.
I'm glad I live by the LIRR, but its still gonna be difficult for me. I may have to move whether I like it or not. Never lived in Suffolk because I knew ST sucked...now that style service comes here...

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It will be like Suffolk Transit with a $3.50 fare I bet. Maybe Long Island should form it's own public transportation authority (LITA) to run the buses here since the MTA thinks we are worthless.

I'm glad I live by the LIRR, but its still gonna be difficult for me. I may have to move whether I like it or not. Never lived in Suffolk because I knew ST sucked...now that style service comes here...
If a LITA was to be created it should take the LIRR too.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Public transportation is just a community service, I guess, like libraries , street cleaning , parks and schools .
Exactly. We don't expect roads to pay for themselves, why do we expect mass transit to do so?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Exactly. We don't expect roads to pay for themselves, why do we expect mass transit to do so?
Because drivers pay for roads through gasoline taxes

Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If a LITA was to be created it should take the LIRR too.
Yes, definately. And one electronic fare medium would be used for fare payment on both. The LIRR costs alot to run in part due to the antiquated fare collection technique.
With RFID technology instead of the typical 6-8 conductors per train there could be only 1 or 2. And no more zone fares, flat rate of $3 per ride or a $120 unlimited pass for train and bus.
Imagine being able to travel anywhere on Long Island for just $120 a month! Why not, if those in NYC can travel anywhere in the city for around $100 per month?
All the money collected for the MTA on Long Island could definately fund such an operation, instead of subsidizing the city.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Yes, definately. And one electronic fare medium would be used for fare payment on both. The LIRR costs alot to run in part due to the antiquated fare collection technique.
With RFID technology instead of the typical 6-8 conductors per train there could be only 1 or 2. And no more zone fares, flat rate of $3 per ride or a $120 unlimited pass for train and bus.
Imagine being able to travel anywhere on Long Island for just $120 a month! Why not, if those in NYC can travel anywhere in the city for around $100 per month?
All the money collected for the MTA on Long Island could definately fund such an operation, instead of subsidizing the city.
Ah you wanna dash the "disability retirement and play golf all day" dreams of the LIRR ushers? How mean!

In all seriousness, I agree with you. You should make a video about this subject and send it to the news media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island