Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 AM

5,021 posts, read 3,923,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Again, what are defining as Admin., people in oversite or people not directly involved in teaching. In any case, I'd vote every day of the week to bring everything more in line with private salaries and benefits.
YOUR stats name 12 central office administrators. I posted the link so you can count them and double check your own stats. That number seems to be accurate. I am surprised you are not stunned and outraged by that ridiculous number (12) at central office. Those are not secretaries and IT folks. That means 12 state certified and functioning "School District Administrators" involved with running the district. Nothing could be clearer...or more outrageous.
A further simple search on the website indicates that your number of 5 other administrators in the district is inaccurate. There are 11 other principals and assistant principals in the district as the website for each of the school buildings clearly indicates. Nothing, again could be clearer. The number of certified and fully functioning administrators in the Garden City School Distric is at least 23. This has nothing to do with defining anything...I don't know why you are obfuscating or deflecting this... is it because you original estimate of 1 administrator per 50 teachers was so wildly inaccurate ? 23 is one per 13 teachers. This number of 23, of course, is separate and apart from all other assistants and hangers-on at the central office.
Since you seem to enjoy calculating numbers, what would the projected savings over the next 10 years in salary, benefits, and pensions costs if Garden City reduces its total administrator footprint to 12 (1 supt, 1 asst supt for finance, 1 Athletic Director, one principal for each building and 1 assistant principal for the three largest largest buildings)? Lets start with the formula of 185K (sal + benefits) X 11 positons X 10 years = 20 Million +. Now calulate how much that 180K (sal + benefits) would be expected to increase each of the ten years, multiply that number by 11 and again by 10. Add those two numbers together. Now add to it the support staff (salary and benefits and their projected 10-year increases)) over 10 years for each of the 11 admin positions. Now add to this the projected pension costs for the 11 administrator and innumerable associated support staff positions. Now you know why you should be concerned with the number and cost of administrator positions here on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
Both my husband and my sister work in two of the largest districts on LI and both of these districts have at least 3 to 5 tier 1 employees hanging in there, and double that number for tier 2. One of the districts gave such a large number of buy outs last year, that my sister is now most likely going to be offered one this year and she is in her late 40s with less than 30 years in. My husbands distict pays for unused sick days, not sure about my sisters. My husband has never used a sick day in over 15 years.......my sister uses hers every year.
FYI you sister cannot collect her pension until she is 55...if she is in her leate forties there are two reasons why she will not get a buy -out. The first is she absolutely cannot collect until she is 55 and the second is that there is a huge penalty for retiring prior to 30 years credit in any case (and, again one cannot collect even that penalized and substantially smaller pension amount until one is 55).

Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 AM

33 posts, read 69,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
FYI you sister cannot collect her pension until she is 55...if she is in her leate forties there are two reasons why she will not get a buy -out. The first is she absolutely cannot collect until she is 55 and the second is that there is a huge penalty for retiring prior to 30 years credit in any case (and, again one cannot collect even that penalized and substantially smaller pension amount until one is 55).
She knows she can not collect and financially she would not need to, as her husband makes a very good living in the private sector. She is at the top for seniority in her district, and she has three more years until 30 years in.
A friend of ours took his buy out when he was 53 and I guess he waited the two years to collect. This was 10 years ago when a lot of the tier 1 teachers were being offered buy outs.
Maybe after thirty years in they should be required to retire without ANY incentives. Thirty years is a good run and if they can't collect their pensions right away then they should prepare for that ahead of time. Many retired teachers work in real estate, substitute teach, lecture in colleges, work in retail, ect...
This would save money and jobs for younger people trying to stay on LI.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
She knows she can not collect and financially she would not need to, as her husband makes a very good living in the private sector. She is at the top for seniority in her district, and she has three more years until 30 years in.
A friend of ours took his buy out when he was 53 and I guess he waited the two years to collect. This was 10 years ago when a lot of the tier 1 teachers were being offered buy outs.
Maybe after thirty years in they should be required to retire without ANY incentives. Thirty years is a good run and if they can't collect their pensions right away then they should prepare for that ahead of time. Many retired teachers work in real estate, substitute teach, lecture in colleges, work in retail, ect...
This would save money and jobs for younger people trying to stay on LI.
OK, now I understand. Very nice and somewhat unusual circumstances. Most folks don't have 30 years in (doing the math) prior to age 50 and that is what caught my eye. As a matter of fact it is somewhat unusual to have 30 years at age 55 (doing the math) but some retirement incentives for state workers in the past (Tier I) have made up the difference.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,729,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
You are completely out of touch. In my home district there is one administrator for every 15 (FIFTEEN) teachers! And average administrator compensation is double that of the teachers' averages. It is so bad our PTA has mobilized against this waste! According to another poster Garden City PTA has done the same.
There has certainly been 'pension envy' among some non-unionized employees in the private sector for some time now.
The simmering anti-public sector worker rhetoric always heats up during economic downturns...it is not deflecting to point out the odd irony that our downturn was precipitated by private sector banks and private sector fund managers and misjudgements therein in many areas including the private-sector housing market.
It's not anti-public sector or pension envy, it's pension worry. Of course, public sector workers don't need to worry about this because they're not the ones on the hook to pay for the pension ponzi scheme when it blows up. I noted that taxpayers pay $10 for every $1 that pensioners pay into their OWN retirements.

Private sector caused this? hardly. Why are all the municipalities tightening up on taxpayers? Why was the STAR Rebate check program removed in 09? Why are taxes slated to rise more , instead of remain flat even during times of deflation?
It doesn't add up. Do a little research and see it's the pension system that is the biggest bubble on a path to destroy a few states. Look at Nassau County, our pension obligation to NYS increased 46% in one year, is that normal?? more taxes---less services. That is a direct cause of the structurally flawed pension system. When(if) it does all blow up, either taxpayers are going to pay for all the over-promises past politicians made selling their souls (and the taxpayers) to get reelected or the public sector is going to lose their pensions regardless...depending on how bad the next leg down is in the future.

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-22-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM

SACHEM - The district has told 450 of its least senior staff members -- including 375 of the district's nearly 1,300 teachers -- that they could be out of work at the end of the school year because of cuts in state aid and rising personnel costs.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has proposed trimming more than $16 million from Sachem's budget -- part of a proposed $1.5-billion decrease in state education funding to help close New York 's $10-billion deficit.

Why is the $10-Billion deficit there in the first place?? , anyone take a look at the pension fund shortfall in NY?

Long Island Item

Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM

570 posts, read 1,211,920 times
Interesting, we were told several years ago at a NYSTRS workshop for future retirees that there were only a handful of Tier I's left in the whole state.
No matter, the point was that there are very few left still teaching and it will be a savings for the districts when they are all out.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Remember when the lottery was started and the goal was for it to help pay for education? I see people in the convenience store every day buying tons of lotto tickets. I can't find anything that traces any of that money back to education the way it was originally intended. Maybe it does but who is overseeing that?
I saw mega millions is now up to $300M and I remembered someone asking about Lottery distributions. So I looked it up because I was curious and found the budget here
http://nylottery.org/wps/wcm/connect...df?MOD=AJPERES

I have no clue who oversees this though or if there's any money conveniently falling through the cracks and into peoples' pockets.. It seems the poorer districts get a bigger cut of the loot, probably because more people play in those districts.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,994,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I saw mega millions is now up to $300M and I remembered someone asking about Lottery distributions. So I looked it up because I was curious and found the budget here
http://nylottery.org/wps/wcm/connect...df?MOD=AJPERES

I have no clue who oversees this though or if there's any money conveniently falling through the cracks and into peoples' pockets.. It seems the poorer districts get a bigger cut of the loot, probably because more people play in those districts.
I believe the allocation of lottery distributions has less to do with the frequency of play in any one district, rather it's more of an equitable distribution based on demographics and need. For example, a typical middle class or upper middle class district has a comparatively wealthier tax base where as a poorer district for obvious reasons has a lower tax base. Therefore, more aid is distributed to areas in need rather than to an area like Half Hollow Hills SD. Make sense?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
I believe the allocation of lottery distributions has less to do with the frequency of play in any one district, rather it's more of an equitable distribution based on demographics and need. For example, a typical middle class or upper middle class district has a comparatively wealthier tax base where as a poorer district for obvious reasons has a lower tax base. Therefore, more aid is distributed to areas in need rather than to an area like Half Hollow Hills SD. Make sense?
hmm. That doesn't add up though (I thought the same thing as you at first).. but look at Nassau County:

Levittown received $7.5M while similar socioeconomic districts like W. Hempstead only received $960k, Bellmore $482k, Baldwin $4.2M, etc.. How could there be such a huge disparity of aid between these districts? I think it's a combination of factors involved in a formula -- how poor or wealthy a district is, size of district and lottery receipts in that district? I'm not entirely sure, but it has to be more than just "need".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island