Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

There IS no public purpose. It benefits a private group of individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Hmm. Ok, here's my practical and non-religious answer:If physical symbols need to be placed on public utility poles, then no, they shouldn't be allowed. There are reasons (safety and others) that the utlity company's want their poles free of "stuff". So, bending the rules for this religious based request doesn't pass the "reasonable" test, for me at least.
As has been pointed out, the private utility companies are not objecting.

Quote:
However, if the Orthodox community does nothing more than require the municipality to agree that they can create a symbolic (no physical requirements) erev, then I don't really see the problem. It's asking for symbolic permission for it's community members. Not sure if there is a slippery slope here. These seems reasonable to me.
As far as I know, and I'm no expert on this, for the eruv to be kosher, it needs to be a physical boundary, such as a wire, or a wall.

Quote:
Walter - you have always been a voice of reason on these boards. I'm not looking to do battle, but I think "The only serving Gentile foods in school" aurgument is extreme. Having a place to eat a kosher lunch brought from home seems to be sufficient to me. More than that and I think you've crossed the line of "reasonableness".
First, thank you; but, I'm fairly certain that there are others who do not share your opinion that I'm a voice of reason on these boards.

Second, serving only Gentile food violates the Separation of Church and State as it favors one religious group (Christians and non-observant Jews) while it disfavors a different religious group (more observant Jews): if schools offer anything more than just a lunch room where students can eat the food that they brought from home, then the school district should serve food that a child can eat without violating that child's family's private beliefs.

School districts are not required to have a kitchen facility, and do so only after deciding that a hot meal is educationally advantageous. If the school district then provides only hot Gentile meals and not hot kosher meals, it then, according to the school district's own words, places Jewish students, who only eat kosher food, at an educational disadvantage.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's national kosher food depository, that supplies food to such things as the free school lunch program, is in New Cassel ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address). Receiving institutions are required to have kosher preparation facilities to prepare kosher meals from this USDA food.

Depending on the number of students requiring a kosher meal, a school district can either purchase pre-packaged kosher meals (like the kosher meals served on airplanes) or build a kosher kitchen.

Actually, if enough students request a kosher meal, a school district can convert their pre-existing Gentile kitchen into a kosher kitchen, and supply kosher meals to all students. Bear in mind, Christians are neither required to eat Gentile food nor prohibited from eating kosher food, while many Jewish students are prohibited from eating Gentile food and can only eat kosher food.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
There IS no public purpose. It benefits a private group of individuals.
A private group on private property.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Are the power poles on a public/private easement or a utility easement?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Second, serving only Gentile food violates the Separation of Church and State as it favors one religious group (Christians and non-observant Jews) while it disfavors a different religious group (more observant Jews): if schools offer anything more than just a lunch room where students can eat the food that they brought from home, then the school district should serve food that a child can eat without violating that child's family's private beliefs.
lol you're nuts.

It is not favoring Christians, it is favoring a generic meal at a low cost. There are no "Christian" meals, unless the SD starts serving fish on Fridays for Lent. Generic meals satisfy the hunger of the majority of students.

I guess if you guys disagree you could just vote down the budget and send your kids to private yeshivas anyway just to prove a point.

I guess, if we are going this route, we can say that SDs are observing the Sabbath by not being open on Saturdays.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
where in the blue hell can I find a "Gentile food" store? I just moved here and I keep getting cravings!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It is not favoring Christians, it is favoring a generic meal at a low cost.
There is no such thing as generic food: there is kosher, halal and Gentile food.

Quote:
Generic meals satisfy the hunger of the majority of students.
The Constitution and its Bill of Rights are there to protect the rights of the minority.

Quote:
I guess, if we are going this route, we can say that SDs are observing the Sabbath by not being open on Saturdays. :rolleyes:
Many, if not the majority gov't school districts are open on Saturday; or, have athletic team events on Saturdays but not on Sundays.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as generic food: there is kosher, halal and Gentile food.

The Constitution and its Bill of Rights are there to protect the rights of the minority.

Many, if not the majority gov't school districts are open on Saturday; or, have athletic team events on Saturdays but not on Sundays.
Well, that is only if you categorize food by religion. Some people do not categorize their food by religion.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
are you not able to eat what you want without persecution? If so, then consider yourself "protected".

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm glad that all non-Jews are grouped into one class: Gentile.

We really need a politically correct, backhandedly derogatory name the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island