Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 PM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times

Advertisements

Al li know is i will prob b e voting for steve balone for county executive. when i lived in the town of babylon he would come in to the different places around the town hall for lunch. Also i have talked to him multiple time sand he was a nice guy and always answered every one of my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Al li know is i will prob b e voting for steve balone for county executive. when i lived in the town of babylon he would come in to the different places around the town hall for lunch. Also i have talked to him multiple time sand he was a nice guy and always answered every one of my questions.
That's all good and dandy except for the fact that Bellone is a puppet of the PBA and public sector unions. Why do you think the PBA is so desperate to get Bellone into the county executive's office?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Al li know is i will prob b e voting for steve balone for county executive. when i lived in the town of babylon he would come in to the different places around the town hall for lunch.
Really? That's amazing! But what kind of tipper was he?

Quote:
Also i have talked to him multiple time sand he was a nice guy and always answered every one of my questions.
most politicians are pros when it comes to glad handing. Even the biggest crooks/jerks are usually extremely polite and charming.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
That is very naive thinking. All it takes is some finger pointing.
The "Serious misconduct" that took place will be presented as such in the media but still pale in comparrison to every other politician.
Furthermore, It seems to me this is an effective way to keep folks from running for re-election, doesn't it? Let's see if this trend catches on.
I'm seeing things the same way as you are Scott. In today's political arena, the gladiators are battling in the media, with often less than
full disclosure or information, tinged with speculative spin. Like the sad affair there in Massapequa a week ago or so, as officer Breitkopf died, and
the news of his tragedy broke, there was more speculation than truth, some were blaming Cafarella, the retired cop, some blamed Gentile, the
MTA cop. We're yet to get the results of a thorough investigation, and similarly, in Steve Levy's case, it'll take awhile before we get the full story
of his purported "corruption".

I liked Levy, saw him as a straight-up guy, on the level and working for the greater good of the county. There were occasions where I could
actually benefit by his legislation or his policy. The best change that I noticed was when he took the county cops off of traffic (speeding) patrol and
replaced the jurisdiction of 495 and Sunrise Highway, with the officers from Sheriff DeMarco's department. All of a sudden, during my twice daily trip
to South Shore mall, I felt that Sunrise had become the Autobohn, going no faster than 60-65 was no longer encumbering me, I still find stretches of
Sunrise, where I look down at the speedometer and I'm seeing 85, but still, just keeping up with moving traffic. It was also great to know that I wouldn't
be on the lookout for the blue and whites, parked alongside the entranceways, like so many crocodiles on the river bank, waiting to grab a wildebeast,
driving a beat-out Hyundai.

And as to Levy's guilt or innocence, we've all become accustomed to the endless tide of crooked politicians and in a way, we've almost come to expect it.
We've been seeing their indiscretions for as long as I can remember, but I see more and more of it happening because of the many media channels and with
the overall freedom afforded to us through the internet, the chance to get a fuller picture of the things happening in today's world. As a people, we've also
become both more tolerant of these politicians as well as more forgiving of their sins. Like so many others, I'm happy to know that they're still lifting up rocks
in Albany or in local government, and finding serpents or whatever they turn out to be. I'm sure that when the dust dies down, we'll get the whole picture.
Meantime, you are right, let's see if this is just part of an ongoing trend in politics...

Old 03-25-2011, 02:45 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
I think you should also invest with Bernie Madoff. Heard he was always very nice and answered people's questions with patience and honesty. Except that he was stealing their money and funneling it into personal accounts.

Vote for people that are looking out for your interests, not people that have the friendliest smile.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Well, that means I probably won't vote for any Demofelon this year. I liked Levy.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
I admit steve levy was a good guy he did all he could with the little funds available to make SCT even bareable heck over the years it has improved and continues to do so.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Default hmm

Well I used to live in the town of babylon. He helped update venetian shores and tanner park . He is trying to get wyandanch cleaned up. He has enacted all the green laws in the town. He has also been working with the town of huntington supervisor on the 110 corridor.

What makes bellone such a bad person?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Fallout from Levy might already be hurting the GOP.

In a Special Election for the 6th LD to replace Don Losquadro won an Assembly race last year it appears Democrat Sarah Anker has defeated Republican Martin Haley. Anker leads by a little over 3% or 224 votes with all districts counted, approx 257 absentees remain to be counted. And it looks like the GOP is hinting at conspiracy.

Quote:
Democratic newcomer Sarah Anker was leading by 224 votes in unofficial returns last night in the special election for the 6th Legislative District against former Suffolk Legis. Martin Haley who was attempting a political comeback.

With all 53 election districts reporting, Anker was leading Haley 3,468 to 3,244 in a contest that drew about 15 percent of district voters.

Last night, Republicans refused to concede the election, which would be a major upset because GOP voter registration outnumbered Democrats by more than 5,000.

"We're very encouraged," said Richard Schaffer, the Suffolk County Democratic chairman, adding that when the votes are official "we'll have a new county legislator."

Anker said, "I'm cautious but optimistic and feeling very good."

Republicans complained about the slow election returns and that 257 absentee ballots have not yet been counted.

"This is not a night for concessions," said Jesse Garcia, Brookhaven Republican chairman. "We want to ensure the integrity of every vote so Democrats cannot steal another election."
politics item

Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Horrible news... surprised more details haven't come out (or maybe I just missed them?) but this was a sad day for Long Island.

So long Stevie, we hardly knew ye...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island