Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:42 AM

12 posts, read 25,771 times

Advertisements

Looking for feedback in terms of living in any of these communities. In terms of schools, housing options ($500 to $700K range), and convenience for working at at both SB Univ (SUNY) and Upton. We have an elementary school age child, so quality of life for a younger child is a key. They all appear to be well regarded communities ... so I'm trying to get any contrasts between them from those who are very familiar with this area. Other towns I may be missing along these lines as well? Thanks in advance for any thoughts ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,128,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbrody View Post
Looking for feedback in terms of living in any of these communities. In terms of schools, housing options ($500 to $700K range), and convenience for working at at both SB Univ (SUNY) and Upton. We have an elementary school age child, so quality of life for a younger child is a key. They all appear to be well regarded communities ... so I'm trying to get any contrasts between them from those who are very familiar with this area. Other towns I may be missing along these lines as well? Thanks in advance for any thoughts ...
They are all great.

I'd put Miller Place and Sound Beach on the list as well. 5-700 really opens up the whole North Shore.
Miller Place-Rocky Point, NY Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Were very happy in Rocky Point. It has a wonderful sense of community and we love the schools.Rocky Point, Miller Place and Sound Beach are a little more down to earth for the North Shore than the other areas mentioned.

You'll be happy in NE Brookhaven

Any questions on RP DM me.

Crooks

Old 03-27-2011, 07:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,607,729 times
Minor point: there is no city, village or hamlet named "Upton".

The "Upton, NY 11973" ZIP Code postal zone serves the Brookhaven National Laboratory, which is in Yaphank ("Upton, NY 11973" mailing address).

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Minor point: there is no city, village or hamlet named "Upton".

The "Upton, NY 11973" ZIP Code postal zone serves the Brookhaven National Laboratory, which is in Yaphank ("Upton, NY 11973" mailing address).

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).
BTW Walter

I heard CDPs are being updated for SB/RP.Big population shift.

FYI

Crooks

Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM

While it is still being "revised", the 2010 Census Bureau's online address search function is far more convoluted than is the 2000 Census Bureau's online address search function.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
While it is still being "revised", the 2010 Census Bureau's online address search function is far more convoluted than is the 2000 Census Bureau's online address search function.
Sorry for the OT but do you know when they do the demographic and economic stuff?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM

592 posts, read 1,810,099 times
To OP, I can only speak from experience in the Setaukets/Stony Brook area. We've since moved to Naples, FL after living in the Three Village area for 16 years, but I still spend approximately 6 months in that area every summer in a Stony Brook condo we rent on an annual basis. We LOVE it there!!! I was born on LI and have lived in quite a few places throughout the Island, including the Hamptons. The Setaukets/Stony Brook (called Three Village because they include Old Field) area has them all beat by a mile, hands down. I could go on and on about the pluses of the area, it's parks, walking paths beach, SB Village, annual local events, festivals, local parades, general atmosphere and beauty of the area and well-kept homes, etc. But, I won't bore you. Many people interested in their children's education and quality of life live in the area. I'd say it's a magnet for families, in fact. The proximity of the University and a super hospital is a definite plus. I worked on campus (took me exactly 6 minutes to get there) and we've used the hospital enough times to know that it's convenience (lack of traveling and fighting traffic to get there) can be very much appreciated when needed.

The mall, local stores for anything you'll ever need, a wonderful, award winning library, churches and synagogue of every denomination, and major highways are all either in the area or are extremely nearby and easy to get to. The roads are even fun to drive with all the hills and turns in them. People are friendly, there are many adult clubs to join of all sorts of interests and again the schools are well known for being outstanding. If your child is interested in sports that, too, is very well provided for.

I'm sure the other areas you mentioned are also nice, but as I say, I can only speak for the Three Village area personally and I highly recommend it. I hope residents of those towns will post here for you as buying a home is such a big decision. It's also exciting and fun, so best of luck to you.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Sorry for the OT but do you know when they do the demographic and economic stuff?
No.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
The Setaukets/Stony Brook (called Three Village because they include Old Field) area ...
The "Three Village" area -- it's really 2 villages and 2 hamlets -- includes the Village of Old Field, the Village of Poquott, the Hamlet of Stony Brook and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.

The Three Village Central School District includes a wider area: beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Three Village Central School District includes all or part of the Village of Old Field, the Village of Poquott, the Village of Port Jefferson, the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station, the Hamlet of Terryville, the Hamlet of Centereach, the Village of Lake Grove, the Hamlet of Stony Brook, the Village of Head of the Harbor and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.

A map of the Three Village Central School District:

Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
The "Three Village" area -- it's really 2 villages and 2 hamlets -- includes the Village of Old Field, the Village of Poquott, the Hamlet of Stony Brook and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.

The Three Village Central School District includes a wider area: beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Three Village Central School District includes all or part of the Village of Old Field, the Village of Poquott, the Village of Port Jefferson, the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station, the Hamlet of Terryville, the Hamlet of Centereach, the Village of Lake Grove, the Hamlet of Stony Brook, the Village of Head of the Harbor and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.

A map of the Three Village Central School District:
What no South Setauket LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island