Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,234,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
They should just say yes and look into plans of widening the Sagtikos or something

Neither we like it or not.... With the way the World Population is going, projects like these are inevitable and we must face the reality that much of Long Island will eventually one day be as dense if not denser than Queens as it is right now..
The property taxes will be the killer of that idea. Certainly NOT Queens-like, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

208 posts, read 491,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
They should just say yes and look into plans of widening the Sagtikos or something

Neither we like it or not.... With the way the World Population is going, projects like these are inevitable and we must face the reality that much of Long Island will eventually one day be as dense if not denser than Queens as it is right now..
Use Condoms and Deport Illegals See how fast the Population Goes down!!

Last edited by Nascar99; 05-23-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM

57,033 posts, read 26,001,767 times
This will provide some short term jobs, but in the end will do little to reduce taxes and that area will look more like Queens than Suffolk. I just have this vision of 9000 aprtments with 18,000 people with 18,000 cars. Increased traffic, sewage, water, electrical ......

Ten years from now people will be moving elswhere because of congestion and traffic, just remind yourself what a great idea it was, did the development of Mitchell Field in Nassau County make a difference? There is a huge cost in continously developing open space. Maybe Nassau and Suffolk can just become part of Queens if that's what people want, just let these 4 or 5 major projects go forward on LI.

Those of you that think you can just build another lane on the Sagtikos to solve the problem, do you think that might have an adverse impact on the Southern State, Sunrise or the LIE?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,234,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This will provide some short term jobs, but in the end will do little to reduce taxes and that area will look more like Queens than Suffolk. I just have this vision of 9000 aprtments with 18,000 people with 18,000 cars. Increased traffic, sewage, water, electrical ......

Ten years from now people will be moving elswhere because of congestion and traffic, just remind yourself what a great idea it was, did the development of Mitchell Field in Nassau County make a difference? There is a huge cost in continously developing open space. Maybe Nassau and Suffolk can just become part of Queens if that's what people want, just let these 4 or 5 major projects go forward on LI.

Those of you that think you can just build another lane on the Sagtikos to solve the problem, do you think that might have an adverse impact on the Southern State, Sunrise or the LIE?
The property taxes are way different than Queens in Nassau and Suffolk. People are writing on here accusing middle class Long Islanders that they "cannot afford to live here anymore" and should "move off the Island" to cheaper places.

Just who do you think is going to make up this population explosion if that is the case and the property taxes continue to crazily rise every single year?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM

208 posts, read 491,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The property taxes are way different than Queens in Nassau and Suffolk. People are writing on here accusing middle class Long Islanders that they "cannot afford to live here anymore" and should "move off the Island" to cheaper places.

Just who do you think is going to make up this population explosion if that is the case and the property taxes continue to crazily rise every single year?
Only Pepole i can Think of are the Illegals Who Shouldin"t be here in the First place

Them 7-11 chains work Wonders

Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,305,797 times
Darn straight!
I have seen Post Ave in Westbury become a foreign country. Every business now has signs in spanish and not english! The illegals come here and just take over. They are driving all of us off Long Island, as we become the SoCal of the east coast. Every business and store hires them. Many jobs require a knowledge of the spanish language. How is that fair that people WHO DONT BELONG HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE get catered to while legal US citizens are told to "get lost"?
Now I go into CVS and hear them making announcements in spanish! How am I supposed to feel?
Unfortunately most people wont hear us. They wont take some basic actions, like not employing the main businesses that use illegals - landscapers. Instead its the opposite, more and more are being used, and thus more illegals are steered here for the work.
LI is toast. I really think it's too far gone. Once the economy improves a bit ppl will be able to afford to move elsewhere and that is what they will do.
What will be left is the super rich in gated exclusive communities, surrounded by crime infested barrios where foreign flags fly.
I've lived here for 35 years of my life and it will be so hard to move, but I know that day will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgms310 View Post
You missed the point entirely Walter.

I am not referring to the "fore fathers" of this great country, but to those who now stream into America via land, air and sea, and drop their baggage at the nearest "bodega" to start searching for shelter and a way to make a few dollars without paying taxes, but will “bleed the system dry” because their friends already sent them the information as to how “easy” it can be!

Have you driven around LaGuardia or Kennedy airports lately? You can play "spot the white face" with your children and reminisce as to how "it used to be".. Go to Newark, NJ, Chicago, IL Miami, FL, as see what has happened by opening the doors to this once great country to the masses..... As I said in my prior message, "WE" are making the same mistakes over and over again. England has now become an Indian, Arabic and Polish country. America is becoming an Indian, Hispanic and African country.

Our problem is we are too damn weak and our elected officials bend to pressure from the special interest groups who fund the damn primaries for the same politicians who you and I want to see out of office, but nobody cares, because nobody votes so this B S continues to roll into towns and villages across America.

Australia seems to be the last bastion of hope... $100K in the bank before you arrive, or you are NOT welcome!

Charles.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,504,692 times
We are indeed headed for a gated-community-surrounded-by-ghetto future, similar to a third-world nation. While illegal immigration is a problem, it's not nearly the main factor driving us to ruin. Nor is it teachers and cops being overpaid, though that's a problem too. A far more powerful threat is the wholesale looting of this country by the wealthy and big business, which has destroyed our middle class.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM

57,033 posts, read 26,001,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
We are indeed headed for a gated-community-surrounded-by-ghetto future, similar to a third-world nation. While illegal immigration is a problem, it's not nearly the main factor driving us to ruin. Nor is it teachers and cops being overpaid, though that's a problem too. A far more powerful threat is the wholesale looting of this country by the wealthy and big business, which has destroyed our middle class.
Look no further than apathetic voters that are glad to complain over a drink, but refuse to contact their government representatives or even take a few minutes to vote. The totally indifferent majority are responsible, they elect government representatives and assume they are watching out for their communities.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,614,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The totally indifferent majority are responsible, they elect government representatives and assume they are watching out for their communities.
Yes, they elect progressive Dems and RHINO Reps who vote for entitlements in an effort to buy votes to insure their re-election, regardless of the consequences of spending more than the gov't receives in taxes.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,305,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Well we can agree on that The rich elite globalists must be stopped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island