Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM

208 posts, read 492,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Aside from the traffic, how is this possibly a bad thing? I think it looks great, hope it actually happens.
You Gotta be Kidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Actually, in the SE you would more likely see them build 4000sqft McMansions on 1/8th of an acre lots! Ah, now I see how these threads get off-topic!
Sure. There's nothing like overreaching. Southern real estate developers are known for that.

I wonder how fast those things rot in the heat when they are left vacant. How long does it take nature to reclaim them?

Florida's home vacancy rates, No. 1 in nation, are drag on recovery

Quote:
Among more populated counties in the state, southwest Florida is ground zero for vacancies. At the top of the list is Collier County, home to upscale Naples, where one of every three homes is vacant. Right behind are Lee (Fort Myers), Charlotte (Port Charlotte) and Sarasota counties.
Plenty of overpriced and overreaching McMansions in the above areas, right? Approximately 1/3 of all of them are rotting. ONbelievable! How do you call someplace "upscale" when 1/3 of it is deserted? LOL. That's sick.

Trailer parks would have been a better bet. At least people could afford to live in them at the local wages. Hmmm. I haven't done a TP pictorial in awhile ... maybe the southern developers need to be shown what they can make a profit with down in them thar southern pines.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Aside from the traffic, how is this possibly a bad thing? I think it looks great, hope it actually happens.
LOL. Who knows! What they designed looks great, but is that the place for it? They don't have Kate Murray to charge to the rescue and kill the dragon of development like she did with the Lighthouse Project! Can the politicians out there in Suffolk handle the intricacies of NIMBY attacks? Maybe Kate can make some money as a consultant.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Apparently, that's why the Huntington Town Board recently voted to approve hiring a consultant to review the environmental impact statement for the $4-billion Heartland development, huh?
The NIMBY vultures are beginning to circle ...

Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The NIMBY vultures are beginning to circle ...
Actually it is common sense.

Islip Town irresponsibly allows this mega-project near the town line with Huntington, Smithtown and nearby Babylon. Islip gets all the tax money but all Huntington gets is increased congestion & pollution and alot of increased traffic on Commack Road.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
While we need quality rental places for our young adults:

1) Prices will be too high to support the lofty "utopia".
2) Forgets that LI is a commuter district and most of the people living there are going to have jobs elsewhere.
3) Traffic is already heavy, another 10,000+ cars on the road isn't appealing.
4) Right in the middle of one of the worst areas on the Island, crime is going to be a hard sell.
5) No real plan for mass transit (see #3).

Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
I think these "Smart Growth" type plans work well in an area that is still developing. You build dense housing for the people on some land, so that other land like farms and forests can be saved.

This is not the case on Long Island. Most of the western and central parts of the Island are already heavily developed. No open land is being saved from development by allowing smart growth because there is almost no open land left to save.

Instead, Smart Growth on Long Island is simply a excuse to let developers greatly increase density so they can make far more money than simply building traditional suburban housing. If we really believed in Smart Growth or balanced growth etc., then we would be saving all the land at Pilgrim State and adding it to the Edgewood Perserve because so much of central Long Island has been overdeveloped.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think these "Smart Growth" type plans work well in an area that is still developing. You build dense housing for the people on some land, so that other land like farms and forests can be saved.

This is not the case on Long Island. Most of the western and central parts of the Island are already heavily developed. No open land is being saved from development by allowing smart growth because there is almost no open land left to save.

Instead, Smart Growth on Long Island is simply a excuse to let developers greatly increase density so they can make far more money than simply building traditional suburban housing. If we really believed in Smart Growth or balanced growth etc., then we would be saving all the land at Pilgrim State and adding it to the Edgewood Perserve because so much of central Long Island has been overdeveloped.
I think a bit more housing stock in Long Island would help keep housing more affordable. If there is no increase in housing, people will have to move out. And something different from traditional suburban housing could be nice. Most of Long Island is traditional suburban housing and it's not going away, why not try something different? This would probably create less traffic than a lower density development, because people could drive to it, park and walk around instead have to drive between stores.

I grew up in Long Island and dunno if it would worth it to be back. And at this point in my life, I don't think I would want a traditional suburban house. Anyway, it's not going to change the entire island. Sounds like it's worth a try.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,701 times
The nimby's have arrived and we shall prevail!!!! muwahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LOL. Who knows! What they designed looks great, but is that the place for it? They don't have Kate Murray to charge to the rescue and kill the dragon of development like she did with the Lighthouse Project! Can the politicians out there in Suffolk handle the intricacies of NIMBY attacks? Maybe Kate can make some money as a consultant.
Better yet, since her father just "retired" again maybe he can head out to Islip and straighten things out while Kate holds down the fort back home. God knows we need someone here in the Town of Hempstead to defend us from the onslaught of neighborhood ruining White Castles and keep more $100k salaries on the books at the animal shelter than there are animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
While we need quality rental places for our young adults:

1) Prices will be too high to support the lofty "utopia".
2) Forgets that LI is a commuter district and most of the people living there are going to have jobs elsewhere.
3) Traffic is already heavy, another 10,000+ cars on the road isn't appealing.
4) Right in the middle of one of the worst areas on the Island, crime is going to be a hard sell.
5) No real plan for mass transit (see #3).
I didn't catch what the prices are anticipated to be, but I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll be somewhat less than typical home ownership on LI and somewhat more than illegal basement apartment rental, right? I don't really know what you mean ("...too high to support the lofty 'utopia'") either.

I'd hardly say the old grounds of Pilgrim State Hospital are "in the middle of" one of the worst areas on LI. It's in the middle of nowhere, I think it's well over a mile to any populated area of Brentwood and what is there, all of ONE road that even crosses the parkway? I can't imagine how or why whatever problems there are in Brentwood would effect this development in any way.

As far as mass transit, the Deer Park LIRR station is right there... Heartland also owns all the property immediately bordering it so if they ran shuttle buses (or even if people were driving to the station) it would be entirely on private land and would take 2 minutes. I'm sure there would be a Suffolk Transit route looped through here too, not that it'll very likely make any huge impact.

The traffic will be bad, no getting around that... but the traffic is going to be bad with or without this. I really hope it doesn't get shot down because a bunch of people are upset that their crappy commute will now take 4 minutes longer on any given day. Sagtikos Parkway is only 2 lanes in each direction, it could (and should) be widened - access roads directly to the LIE can easily be created and again all on private land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island