Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That seethrough thing is amazing!! There is no reason why any 24 year old teacher needs to make $80k a year...no reason for it.
Hey, if that's what they get in a fair and competitive market then I would tip my hats to them. For instance, there is no reason a HS AP Physics teacher should make the same as a 3rd grade elementary school teacher. The 3rd grade teacher is a dime a dozen and could be replaced with 500 other candidates that are just as qualified. The Physics teacher is harder to come by. They should never make the same income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That seethrough thing is amazing!! There is no reason why any 24 year old teacher needs to make $80k a year...no reason for it.
Go look at police officer salaries, even better check out their pensions. Then you wonder why the state is broke!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaFromQueens View Post
When did you graduate from the NYC public schools? Recently? Because I can assure you they are crappy. Also, where do you get your info that teachers are finished at 2:30pm?? I would have loved a job like that! Even when my students went home at 3, I had hours of work ahead of me.
Mwaahhh! (only kidding), no not yesterday, but I have many friends who teach in NYC and LI schools and love to brag about their getting in at 7:30 and hightailing it home at 2:30pm, head over to the gym, head out for drinks, make some notes, watch TV then get ready for work the next day. I just love when they talk about their religious observance days ( - they are far from being a saint) to winter/spring break and then how vacation starts on June 26th and they don't have to go back until after Labor Day.

You must be a teacher with a conscience - can't say the ones i know today are - they are either looking to game the system with their "I've got tenure bs" or looking to brown nose their way into an administrator job after 3 years on the job so they can develop "best practices" to preach to new teachers.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Hey, if that's what they get in a fair and competitive market then I would tip my hats to them. For instance, there is no reason a HS AP Physics teacher should make the same as a 3rd grade elementary school teacher. The 3rd grade teacher is a dime a dozen and could be replaced with 500 other candidates that are just as qualified. The Physics teacher is harder to come by. They should never make the same income.
I agree with you. Yet in public sector union world, the income is kept in lockstep for all, mostly according to years of service.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 AM

113 posts, read 263,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Mwaahhh! (only kidding), no not yesterday, but I have many friends who teach in NYC and LI schools and love to brag about their getting in at 7:30 and hightailing it home at 2:30pm, head over to the gym, head out for drinks, make some notes, watch TV then get ready for work the next day. I just love when they talk about their religious observance days ( - they are far from being a saint) to winter/spring break and then how vacation starts on June 26th and they don't have to go back until after Labor Day.

You must be a teacher with a conscience - can't say the ones i know today are - they are either looking to game the system with their "I've got tenure bs" or looking to brown nose their way into an administrator job after 3 years on the job so they can develop "best practices" to preach to new teachers.
LOL I guess I do have a conscience. Well now, it makes perfect sense why you feel as you do. If your teacher friends are racing out of their jobs at 2:30, going to work-out, grab food, whatever, then I can totally see why you feel that way.

Also, while I was teaching in the public school, I was obtaining my master's at night. So I had very little free time. One social activity my co-workers and I took part in was a Friday "Happy Hour" at a local pub in Queens (near our school). Even then, we didn't go every week (some people did!), but for most of us, it depended on the week!Those were fun afternoons though...lol.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM

208 posts, read 492,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I think cameras in the classrooms and on police cars is a great idea. If you're doing everything in the up and up then why should you have anything to hide?
Yes Lets have Teaches Be able to use Tazers To
that will be next

Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Actually, this creates a "right to privacy" issue for the students. Those with troubles learning etc would be seen by all, and it's not anyone else's business to know that they have an issue in class.
Those children with special needs have already been labeled and I'm sure school records can be found so that does not pass the smell test. I'm sorry it's not to protect the children. You don't think teachers talk about the kids. Look at the posts, they not only talk about kids they BLAME THEM. If they do such things on Internet forums I'm sure they do it among themselves and friends. Word gets around a school district very fast.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 AM

113 posts, read 263,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Those children with special needs have already been labeled and I'm sure school records can be found so that does not pass the smell test. I'm sorry it's not to protect the children. You don't think teachers talk about the kids. Look at the posts, they not only talk about kids they BLAME THEM. If they do such things on Internet forums I'm sure they do it among themselves and friends. Word gets around a school district very fast.
LOL... Yes, teachers absolutely talk about the students! Some of them are just plain f'n nuts!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
Yes Lets have Teaches Be able to use Tazers To
that will be next
Yes, tazers and harming another human being is comparable to using cameras to monitor an employee.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:00 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
No, my point was that it is not the business of people who aren't teachers/principals etc in the school, to see the students in the classroom. AND I'm not talking about spec ed kids either, I'm talking about those in regular classrooms who have problems, learning/behavior or otherwise.

But since you mentioned spec ed, there are laws against the public identification of those children. When board members get the minutes from CSE meetings, there are no names in there of the child involved or their parents. Every kid is given a number. So yes, having cameras in a spec ed class may be subject to the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island