Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM

16 posts, read 43,912 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I our having our first baby soon and are starting the search for a good daycare. We commute into the city so it would be nice not to have to travel too far for daycare from Lynbrook station but would obviously do so for a good place. Anyone have a good recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogeis View Post
My Wife and I our having our first baby soon and are starting the search for a good daycare. We commute into the city so it would be nice not to have to travel too far for daycare from Lynbrook station but would obviously do so for a good place. Anyone have a good recommendation?
Are the prospects for a decent daycare in the Lynbrook area that bad that no one can recommend anything?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM

25 posts, read 119,318 times
I can offer this. I moved out here (Massapequa, further east than you) last year and we were very VERY diligent in finding a place. There was nothing that compared to the one we had in Queens. These places are awful..violations, small to virtually non-existent play areas, no licenses, young, inexperienced staff, rooms full of TVs, staff members smoking like chimneys outside. These places are waaaaay overpriced too.

I suggest you use this site to search, and pay close attention to the violation history:

http://it.ocfs.ny.gov/ccfs_facilitysearch/

I'm assuming you take the train to work. If it's possible to drive, you might consider looking in Queens, and dropping off/picking up during your commute. My wife drops and I pick, it works great for me, as my boys afford me the luxury of using the HOV lane coming home... that probably doesn't help you much in Lynbrook, though.

PM me if you want to discuss Queens centers or need any help...we have been through the wringer with this.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
My sister uses a place in Malverne by the train station. The name escapes me, but it is right there by the train so if you drive up there I'm sure you'll see it. She has been very happy with them for her infant and her two year old.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM

659 posts, read 2,518,146 times
I love Tutor Time. I don't know if there is one in Lynbrook, but there are quite a few scattered around Long Island.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info all. Anyone know about Kiddie Academy at all? @TomMoser, could it have been Learning circle? @Bibs Mkski thanks for the link it's got some good info.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 PM

31 posts, read 23,412 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info all. Anyone know about Kiddie Academy at all? @TomMoser, could it have been Learning circle? @Bibs Mkski thanks for the link it's got some good info.
No prob...not sure when your wife is due but start checking places out now. Call places and ask for a tour of the facility. A good place will let you tour during a normal day so you can get a real feel for what goes on there, as opposed to just listening to a sales pitch. You want to feel like they have nothing to hide. I would also caution you to stay away from chain places like Tutor Time. The individual hubs all answer to Big Brother and most care more about the bottom line than your child. The child should always come first.

Good luck

Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Anyone know about Kiddie Academy at all?
Are you using that site I sent you? When you find a place on the list and want to dig deeper, did you "click here for program information"?

Here is the info for Violation Academy...I mean Kiddie Academy in Lynbrook:

New York State Office of Children and Family Services - Program Information

Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibs mkskiII View Post
Are you using that site I sent you? When you find a place on the list and want to dig deeper, did you "click here for program information"?

Here is the info for Violation Academy...I mean Kiddie Academy in Lynbrook:

New York State Office of Children and Family Services - Program Information
Oh yes I have been digging in deep on that site. Kinda disappointed about "violation" academy as they are quite close.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Oh yes I have been digging in deep on that site. Kinda disappointed about "violation" academy as they are quite close.
You will find places with pristine records or relatively minor violations corrected if you look hard enough. Any understaffing issues especially raise flags with me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island