Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 PM

4,702 posts, read 8,792,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Where are they running to or from if it isn't Brooklyn or Penn Station?
a train that leaves Penn at 2:30 am heading somewhere far out east is still running during the gap in departures from Penn. that's my only point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,926,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What are you talking about?

The LIRR does not run 24/7/365.

They take a nice long siesta in the middle of the night ... usually between 1 or 2 and 5 or 6 am. Don't believe me? Sleep on the floor in Penn Station when you've missed the last "drunk train" and you'll see!
Not all lines run 24/7 and not at Daytime frequencies only every hr....

Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,725,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The infamous drunk trains: I remember making sure NOT to miss the 1:30 (approximate it was ages ago) otherwise a person would get stuck waiting for the 3AM drunk train!

and let's not even mention the Hockey Trains, when the Rangers let out. Talk about low lifes.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM

840 posts, read 2,453,078 times
no good reason to serve alcohol to people who will then get in their cars and drive home. if things are so bad that you have to drink on the train, leave your wife, job, town or all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Arcane union rules.

The reason the trains are so "wild at night" is because the railroad allows for the consumption of alcohol and certain meatheads can't control themselves. I say ban the alcohol which would be bad thing, but if it means cutting down the price of a one way ticket costing $17 so be it. Automate and downsize. We can't afford the railroad and the surge in its pensions, something has to be done.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM

113 posts, read 318,793 times
Quote:
The infamous drunk trains: I remember making sure NOT to miss the 1:30 (approximate it was ages ago) otherwise a person would get stuck waiting for the 3AM drunk train!
The very sad thing about the drunk people riding the 3 am train is that they are not even LIRR regular riders. It is to the point where I won't dare hang out on a Friday or Saturday in the city (I work there and ride the LIRR daily) because taking the 3:00 a.m. train is dreadful. Most of the tears in the seats, grafiti and the obstruction of the advertising comes from this bunch. It is because of this reason why drinking should be banned on the trains. Unfortunately, the hard-working guy leaving the office to catch the 6:00 p.m.ish train will suffer and not be able to enjoy his beer because of these goons.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM

1,777 posts, read 3,252,444 times
Quote:
It kills me to write a quarterly MTA tax check for my business when none of us utilize it. I loathe being slammed with an MTA surcharge when I register my corporate, personal and recreational vehicles. I despise being gouged to cross a bridge or use a tunnel -- each of which look like maintenance was minimal for so long.

Two of my friends have now relocated to UT. It looks better and better.
I remember years ago my AT&T phone bill had an MTA surcharge. I thought that was pretty creative.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,760,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Not a surprise, but interesting article:

Study: LIRR, MetroNorth 'Inefficient' (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/study-lirr-metronorth-inefficient-20110407-KC - broken link)

It costs $17 to transport only one passenger from Syosset to Penn Station on every run. The unions are killing the railroad. Why do we have ticket punchers from the 19th century staffing every car? They all are heavily unionized, their pensions are outrageous and there was that whole scandal where they were double dipping into the Federal Railroad Administration's disability fund at retirement. Shameful!
They needed a survey to tell us this???
Duh???

Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,816,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
The were a lot of fun...sometimes. Other times you could find trouble very easy.
Yes and no. When it was a group of us -- for certain. When it was just a few of the girls...heck no!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,816,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Ah ha , iknew it. Track , System , and train upgrades would save the LIRR more in the long run then putting in turnstiles....which would cost $$ to maintain , and they would be at every station. You would have to retrofit every station , does the typical LIRR station below look like it can easily and cheaply be modified for Turnstiles? I kno that LIRR , MNRR and NJT are trying to install them at Turnstiles....at Urban Stations.

The photos are interesting, but I believe the location at the bottom has the benefit of a rolling topography, which allows for the elevated station. Imagine what would have to be built at LIRR stations to make it difficult for fare jumpers in a turnstile system?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 PM

852 posts, read 2,021,031 times
Default Utah? Are you kidding?

Quote:
It kills me to write a quarterly MTA tax check for my business when none of us utilize it. I loathe being slammed with an MTA surcharge when I register my corporate, personal and recreational vehicles. I despise being gouged to cross a bridge or use a tunnel -- each of which look like maintenance was minimal for so long.

Two of my friends have now relocated to UT. It looks better and better.
Your friends left for Utah and like it more? Utah is not a good place to live unless you are a Mormon. That's not picking on Mormons because I have good Mormon friends who live there and I attended General Conference last year. That said, there are no opportunities in that state except service and extraction industries. It too is a one party state, but quite the opposite. I'll concede North Carolina, but it's quite another thing to pick one of the nation's worst states and compare to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island