Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formyblog View Post
Just asking

The poster that posted this information first. Meaning... before you did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM

113 posts, read 129,500 times
Default When can you provide the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
The poster that posted this information first. Meaning... before you did
Because the link that i gave is my blog !

Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times
Quote:
Because the link that i gave is my blog !

Oh sorry You the man

Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Default Its okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Oh sorry You the man
I didn't know someone already put that up. I just want people to know the facts. If other people are quoting it that's good.
very few people are aware of the things going on and most of the people just say we need to put more money because its for kids. They don't know where the money is going.

http://litaxes.blogspot.com

Old 05-10-2011, 04:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Three Village school budget !

Shocker is Employee Benefits going up by 14.27%
from $36 million to $41 million. So you pay additional $5.56 million is taxes and out of that $5.1 million goes to employee benefits, leaving half a million for other services. So for every dollar you pay you are getting less than 10 cents in value for that and its going to get worse from here on. Its just starting to go exponential.

So we have pay $5mil for benefits and then if you want really good teachers lets pay more. Yeah why not i give my whole paycheck to u guys. Oh no you don't want my whole paycheck. all you want is 57 cents a day.

Read more here with proof

Three Village School Proposed Budget 2011-2012, Long Island, NY
The teachers in the district are selling this to us as "We gave two million back to the taxpayers!"

There's a revolt in progress. The president of the TVTA sent out a letter supporting her lackeys and just short of calling anyone who opposed them radicals.

We have K teachers earning over $100K plus benefits. Gym teachers retiring earning $150K. I've seen work come home improperly graded, obvious spelling errors missed. 14 years in the elementary school and I've witnessed a changing of the guard. Many of the older teachers were far more involved than their young replacements. The newer crew is flying out the door at dismissal, chat in the halls about who is hanging out were, have had parents request admin teach them how to dress for the classroom.

Many of us have had it.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:08 PM

57,226 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
If they school budget for year 2010-2011 was say $100. and State paid $50 and tax levy was $50. Then this year 2011-2012 say state reduced the aid to $45 and assume CPI is 0.

Then the budget still stays at $100 and they will charge the tax levy at $55 to residents which is a 10% increase. And they don't even need a vote for that.

Now all they will do fix the budget is not cut fat but cut services as they are mandated to pay pensions and benefits which are skyrocketing. So if they need an additional $2 for this year for the benefits and pensions they will just cut staff and services to make for that $2. So its a double whammy !

1) You get charged 10% more in taxes
2) Less teachers more class size plus less services in sports and music programs.

All because we have to pay those ridiculous pensions and benefits and pay raises(Central Islip getting 9% raise thsi year) which the rest of the private sector is no longer getting !

You can check here in this blog

Long Island Property Taxes, New York's skyrocketing debt
I blame the politicians first and foremost for the pension situation (an overfunded pension was a bad thing?), but it's a little disingenuous for the teachers union to throw up their hands and put the entire blame on Albany. After all they paid good money in dues to make sure they got where they are, did they not benefit in the past by putting absolutely nothing into their pension system?

Seems to me they should do more; and by the way a freeze in the Cost of Living Increase is not really a freeze since they still get steps, that will in fact still put most teachers well above the CPI of around 1.4%.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM

57,226 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Three Village school budget !

Shocker is Employee Benefits going up by 14.27% from $36 million to $41 million. So you pay additional $5.56 million is taxes and out of that $5.1 million goes to employee benefits, leaving half a million for other services. So for every dollar you pay you are getting less than 10 cents in value for that and its going to get worse from here on. Its just starting to go exponential.

So we have pay $5mil for benefits and then if you want really good teachers lets pay more. Yeah why not i give my whole paycheck to u guys. Oh no you don't want my whole paycheck. all you want is 57 cents a day.

Read more here with proof

Three Village School Proposed Budget 2011-2012, Long Island, NY
Form- if you look through the contract it's easy to understand why the benefits are through the roof, they locked in 5% increases for each step for teachers under 17 years with the district after that it appears their is a flat dollar increase. If that's not bad enough they have compound increases the first 2 years of the contract (2% & 1%) then 3% the last 2 years ending in June 2012. overall they are getting over 8% increases from 2008-2012 so you are right to be upset.

The good news is that you can get some people together with similar minds to do something about this on the next contract that stars in 2012, the bad news is that the BOE that is already in place will be setting the marching orders for the next contract in early 2012. Additionally the teachers usually indicate that salary steps are non negotiable, only COLA's. You might be able to freeze them in the next contract since the 5% step increases reads like a COLA.

Good luck, but any resident that doesn't have isse with this should really seek professional help. Looks like a contingency budget might be in order.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Default Some information i stumbled upon regarding step increases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Form- if you look through the contract it's easy to understand why the benefits are through the roof, they locked in 5% increases for each step for teachers under 17 years with the district after that it appears their is a flat dollar increase. If that's not bad enough they have compound increases the first 2 years of the contract (2% & 1%) then 3% the last 2 years ending in June 2012. overall they are getting over 8% increases from 2008-2012 so you are right to be upset.

The good news is that you can get some people together with similar minds to do something about this on the next contract that stars in 2012, the bad news is that the BOE that is already in place will be setting the marching orders for the next contract in early 2012. Additionally the teachers usually indicate that salary steps are non negotiable, only COLA's. You might be able to freeze them in the next contract since the 5% step increases reads like a COLA.

Good luck, but any resident that doesn't have isse with this should really seek professional help. Looks like a contingency budget might be in order.
The information is about smithtown teachers associates

Smithtown, Long Island Teachers Association Facts - No wonder Property taxes are rising

Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Wow teachers are getting desperate to substantiate their salaries. Your unions have stooped to cheap used car salesman calculations. That type of fuzzy math has existed since the 1950s when people went door to door to hawk crap products. Let's me show you how it works in it's original iteration.

Cheap Salesman:"I want to sell you this $25 blender for $50. How many do you want to buy?"

Sucker:"That's too expensive!"

Cheap Salesman:"Well sir, this blender is guaranteed for 10 years and at $50 it will only cost you 1.3 cents per day. Now doesn't that sound like a much better deal?"

Sucker:"Oh, that sounds so much easier to swallow."

This type of sleazy sales tactic has been sold by "sales gurus" for 60 years and it didn't work then and it won't work now.

The overpaid teacher issue isn't going to go away, the pressure just going to continue to build until they are burning teachers in effigy, because you are making it unbearable for middle class Long Island to exist. They are loud, pissed, and been shown the truth. If we were in a foxhole the only thing I would yell is "INCOMING"
It's amazing how stupid some of them think we are.

Here's my take on what LI school districts have become:

I hate when they intone "it's for the children" and it's all a LIE.

It's really set up so the teachers and administrators and superintendants get to gorge themselves on the taxpayers' money and the children get the scraps and left-over crumbs of the budget.

Now how is that "for the children?"

Public schools on Long Island are no longer in the business of education, but are run for the comfort and convenience of the unionized "white collar professionals" (union and white collar professional rarely crosses and you can see why) and their administrators and superintendants.

Education is just a side effect at this point to keep their real goal intact. The public schools are in the business of keeping unions in power, no matter what cost to the children.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:

Taxes in Smithtown are outrageous...11K for a hi-ranch on .25 acre. Teachers salaries are quite high there..that pay scale is higher than many SD's in Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island