Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
My buddy used a company in Port Jefferson.

$5K out of pocket, sign over LIPA rebate to company, and he gets a gov't rebate on his taxes. Total out of pocket after completion $23K.

BTW his old bill last May was $400 a month with central air and heated pool.

His bill this month was $6.75.

It is worth it because it also a major selling point on a house. Little or no LIPA bill imagine that!
Can you elaborate on why the total out of pocket was $23k??? I haven't done any detailed research, but I thought the quote the other guys got for $8.5k-$10k was the total out of pocket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM

76 posts, read 137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. As of now I'm still waiting on permits from building dept and LIPA. My estimated install date is August 17th. LIPA takes about 2.5 months to get the rebate from them.
Thanks for the reply, CMV. Please keep us up to date on how it goes. Good luck with the install.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Can you elaborate on why the total out of pocket was $23k??? I haven't done any detailed research, but I thought the quote the other guys got for $8.5k-$10k was the total out of pocket?
Apparently there are two types of solar panels a cheaper black one and expensive blue one.

The blue generates more Watts and I believe he got 27 of them on his colonial.

$8-10 sounds really low..

Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Apparently there are two types of solar panels a cheaper black one and expensive blue one.

The blue generates more Watts and I believe he got 27 of them on his colonial.

$8-10 sounds really low..
$8K was what I was quoted for a system for Just hot water only. The whole-house system would have been upwards of 25-30K.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM

7 posts, read 9,075 times
Please note that posting up your cost, without any other specifics, is going to lead people to assume that a system for their home is going to cost the same, when in reality every house is going to differ, some very widely.

For example....
Your home might use 15kwh of electric, whereas someone else might use 5kwh. Smaller system = lower cost. (And again.... if your home is not energy efficient you should not bother putting up a solar electric system). Efficiency first.

Same goes for hot water, if you have 4 people in your home you are going to use more hot water than 2. Half the system, half the cost.

Also, the color of your panels do not make any difference whatsoever, you can now get panels in pretty much any designer color you can think of. You can also design solar into pretty much any kind of building structure, such as a backyard trellis, car port, or patio awning. Not enough roof space is no longer a problem in many cases.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM

79 posts, read 232,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
does anyone know if LIPA will give you back cash or just credit once you have spare wattage to feed back to the grid?
Not sure if you are aware of this already, I recently did some research on getting Solar Panels installed. LIPA uses what they call Net Metering, so you only have to worry about getting money back from them if you return more electricity to them than you use overall.

Mini Example:

Day 1: You are home all day, and you use 1Kw from LIPA (more than your system generated that day.
Day 2: You are not home all day, and your system generates 1Kw excess of electricity for LIPA.

Overall you used 0Kw so you don't pay any per Kw fees for those 2 days. Its not like you pay a higher price for the Kw you use in excess of , and then sell electricity back for a lower price. You only sell back Kw in excess of your usage.

I'm still considering buying, waiting to see if prices get a little cheaper.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 PM

172 posts, read 718,913 times
LIPA approved my rebate and it was sent out to the solar company.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM

76 posts, read 137,412 times
Quote:
LIPA approved my rebate and it was sent out to the solar company.
thanks for the update. ready to share details about who you used, how much, what size system it is, etc?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM

172 posts, read 718,913 times
Mercury Solar is the company. 5060 watt DC output by 22 panels.
*** update***

They pushed my install date to start today!!! After talking to the rep last Thursday they told me all my permits are in and they pushed the date up since the others were not approved yet. Today they are installing the inverters and meter, running the lines.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:43 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Quote:
Mercury Solar is the company. 5060 watt DC output by 22 panels.
*** update***

They pushed my install date to start today!!! After talking to the rep last Thursday they told me all my permits are in and they pushed the date up since the others were not approved yet. Today they are installing the inverters and meter, running the lines.
Hey can you post some photos?

So...i'm not an expert on this at all. is 5KW the output per hour under optimal conditions, correct?

Also...what type of battery space (capacitance??) will you have for power at night? (ie how long could you go with very low charging?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island